5.0 out of 5 stars Not all on the beaten track
Published on 13 Dec 2008 by L. Whiteing

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was really disappointed with this book, because it has no pictures of the places described. These places might be amazing but you need a photo at least to give you a visual. It's like a recipe book with no pictures. It just doesn't work. I wouldn't recommend it. I bought Coast- the walks, at the same time and that was much better.
Published on 7 Oct 2010 by Moira Wilkinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Most Amazing Places to Visit in Britain (Readers Digest) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not all on the beaten track, 13 Dec 2008
L. Whiteing (London) - See all my reviews
I love this book! I've used it a number of times to plan roadtrips and daytrips, as well as just simply to read. It would be easy to complain about all the things that AREN'T in the book, and it's true the chapters on Scotland, etc are markedly smaller than the England section. The whole point of the book is to tell you about things that you may not have heard of, or wouldn't necessarily find leaflets for if you were staying in the area.

We recently roadtripped to Scotland and made a point of seeking out things like Jedburgh Abbey, Carter Bar, and Scott's View. As a result we took more backroads, fought less crowds, and saw breathtaking scenery. I've also visited dozens more sites around the SE on the suggestion of the book, and never been disappointed.

The book itself is well-laid out, nice paper, and nice contruction. Despite some heavy usage, it's still in perfect nick.

And now it's cheaper than when I got it, so it's absolutely a good bargain!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could easily be called "Most Amazing Places to Visit in England", 5 Dec 2008
Laura L. Nisbet "muddywellies" (Ayr, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
Book is of very good quality. Nice photos, glossy pages, big but not too big. I was impressed with the range of places that are covered as the information caters to everyone. What I was very disappointed though with is how very little is covered regarding Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Although physically England only takes up less than half of Great Britain he takes up almost the entire book. There are 237 pages devoted to England. Only 35 devoted to Scotland, 20 pages to Wales, and only 7 to Northern Ireland. This could be excused if there were not more that would make a nice addition to the book, but as for Scotland...much was left out. Granted you can't include everything but Wallace Monument, Ben Nevis (tallest peak in G.B.), and "The Granite City" of Aberdeen including Aberdeen University should not have been left out. I don't write this as a Scottish person either. I write this as an American now living in the U.K. so I know what tourist would be impressed with because I was and still am one.

I bought this book hoping to send to a loved one back in the US that is coming here for a tour this summer and wanted him to be able to have a book showing the best of the UK so he could pick what he'd like to do and see. I feel like I need to buy a suplemental book still covering the rest of Great Britain. Other than that the book is very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent resource but lacking in parts, 23 Aug 2009
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is a well produced and attractive book as you would expect from the Readers Digest however I do think the AMAZING claim is using poetic license somewhat. Whilst it does come up with the occasional peculiarity, most of the attractions are pretty mainstream, if a little dull or obvious. Bluewater shopping centre for example is a great place to visit but hardly AMAZING, if you get my drift.

Published in a thick A4 sized softback, the places of interest are grouped together in their respective counties but with only one photo for every 5 or 6 locations. As I'm a firm believer that a picture is worth a 1000 words, particularly in guide books this was a disappointment to me. The text is well written but specific details such as opening times, phone numbers and admission prices are lacking or even non-existent so you will find yourself looking up these details and viewing pictures online before making up your mind. Not very useful if you're on holiday and away from your PC. If I had to chose between this and 501 Great Days Out in the UK and Ireland, I would probably go for the latter which is chunkier and heavier but currently cheaper also.

This would look good on your coffee table and at £7.49 is a decent resource for choosing a day out but it's not quite AMA....ok you get the picture! (or not in this case)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking but a bit confusing, 6 July 2009
David Gibbons (Houghton Regis, England) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very pretty and quite interesting. The one problem I have is that the way the entries are numbered is a bit hard to follow. Not too bad if you study the book, but confusing if you just pick it up every now and then to browse (which is, I suspect, how most of us would use it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have!, 24 Oct 2007
Capella (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
If you appreciate the road less traveled by more than the usual tourist melting pot, this is a must have! I think the book is printed in photo paper all through out. It definitely feels so. The paper, layout and the print quality is very good. The content, even better. Brief descriptions and/or back ground of the amazing shot will make you want to go there all the more. I intend to tick my way all the way through this book! =)Buy it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 14 Sep 2005
MR "rlawton2" (Swindon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was very pleasently surprised by this book, lots of entries of interesting places, many I've never heard of. Has general directions, opening times where applicable and some wonderful photography.
If you're after ideas on where to visit in Britain, then this book is ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travelling companion, 2 July 2008
Cheerio (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have had some wonderful days out with this book. It is highly recommended, an interesting often educational read with great photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for the literate!, 23 Aug 2011
I bought this back in 2008 and have found that it is a great source of interesting places; some well known, others less so. I can only claim to have visited 69 places in the book since I bought it but almost all have been worthwhile. When I am planning a road trip in the UK this is the first book I get from the shelf.

Even in my local area it listed places that I wasn't familiar with and I have certainly had my £14.99 worth of value. Not a lot of pictures but is is more concerned with detailing why you should visit rather than showing you. It just makes it more of a surprise when you arrive. But probably more for the cerebral rather than the visceral on the whole.

Recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing places in Britain, 5 May 2011
Great list of places, but there are almost no pictures. Book should have shorter list of places and more pictures or should just be bigger and include both. I needed to google every place if I was interested in it, as I didn't know at all how it can look like.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Most Amazing Places to Visit in Britain (Readers Digest)
The Most Amazing Places to Visit in Britain (Readers Digest) by Reader's Digest (Paperback - 26 May 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01