on 1 September 2007
I love Sophie Kinsella!!

I came across this book by chance and thought the story might have been a bit far fetched, but i'd give it a read anyway.
However I couldn't put it down. Kinsella's style of writing is perfect - any girl/woman can relate to what she says and you feel a real sense of connection with the main character Emma.
I've read it 5 times and it still makes me laugh every time!
WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANY CHIC LIT FAN +++++++++
on 16 July 2015
I love Sophie Kinsella books, this one was no exception. Hilarious and very touching, the characters were extremely likeable and you found yourself rooting for them.
I did enjoy 'I've got your number' slightly more but this book is still on my 'keep and re-read list'.
Perfect holiday read, I couldn't put it down, I hope there are more books by Ms Kinsella in the pipeline.
on 24 January 2014
A great book that gets you gripped from the get go! Such great use of words that sends your imagination in to over drive! Not one of her books has let me down yet! Definitely a book you can't put down!! Recommended to me by a friend and now recommended to you by me :) Sophie Kinsella is the one! Top author!
on 30 June 2013
This book wasn't chosen by me, it was for our book club. Normally I would not read this genre but it was ok. If you like chick lit I would imagine it would be a very good and entertaining read, with a happy ending. For me though, I prefer something far more gritty and challenging, especially with a twist or a feisty heroine to keep me focused.
on 18 August 2014
A good book to pass time. The main character can be a bit annoying at times, although the manic thoughts of everyday menial issues is captured amazingly, therefore allowing the reader to really connect with her. The humor mixed with characters created create a realism to the book that almost immerses you into the world of the book. Recommend as a great pick me up and boredom solver.
VINE VOICEon 3 June 2004
From the author of the fabulous Shopaholic series comes a new title and cast of characters to love. Emma Corrigan works in the marketing department of Panther Cola, and is quite possibly having one of the worst days of her life.
After being told by her patronising boss that her raise depends on winning over the executives in Glasgow, Emma manages to screw up this sure thing meeting in a fabulous way first she spills cola all over the major investor's designer suit and then she pleads with him not to tell her boss.
The day can't get much worse surely? This witty comedy of manners truly begins when a kind air hostess takes pity on her and upgrades her to first class. When turbulence hits the plane Emma is terrified that this is her last hours and begins to spill all her deepest darkest secrets to the enigmatic American seated next to her.
You cringe along with her as she confesses losing her virginity upstairs while her mum and dad watch Ben Hur downstairs on televison. She lies about her mark in Maths for her job application, she tells the attractive stranger about never orgasming with her boyfriend and even what kind of underwear she prefers.
Predictably this comes back to haunt poor Emma with a vengeance when the enigmatic Yank, Jack turns out to be the CEO of her company on a business evaluation trip. Jack turns Emma's world upside down as she strives to avoid him and he takes great delight in teasing her with her darkest secrets, but their mutual attraction eventually leads to them getting together.
This is a cut above the usual chick lit fare, Emma is a realistic and sympathetic character who has the usual insecurities about her body and work position and her flatmates are a hoot.
Jack and Emma's romance soon loses it's rosey glow when Jack blabs Emma's secrets on nationwide TV revealing all of her foibles for all to see. Although a frothy read it does have it's more serious points about how by hiding embarrassing faults from the ones you love can be more damaging than honesty.
It's a fun and at times quite touching read especially when Emma's relationship with her parents improves thanks to Jack's speech of how they always valued her distant cousin more. If there is anything to criticise in this book it's that Jack's elusive secret that he hides from Emma is in fact quite anticlimactic. Nonetheless the fledgling relationship between Jack and Emma sparkles and I found myself liking Jack more than Kinsella's other hero Luke.
It would be nice if Kinsella focused on these characters for a series of their own.
on 23 March 2003
Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret" is a good example of its genre, and had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion.
The tale centres around scatty but likeable Emma Corrigan, who, when she finds herself staring death in the face on a nightmare plane journey, spills out all her best-kept secrets to the stranger in the next seat.
Fortunately, the plane eventualy lands safely and Emma puts the incident to the back of her mind. However, she cannot do so for long because, out of the blue, the stranger turns up again - and proves to have an excellent memory.
The plot is loose but the reader's attention is held by the excellent characterization of Emma. You find yourself laughing at her exploits but also acknowledging that there is more than a bit of yourself in Emma.
Funny and touching, "Can You Keep a Secret" would be an excellent holiday read.
on 17 September 2015
I read this book when I was 15 years old, and was howling with laughter! 13years on and having bought it on my new kindle, I still am laughing and falling in love with story again. If you like Bridget Jones's, you WILL love this story.
on 14 May 2015
Someone recommended this book to me so I thought I'd give it a try, and I wasn't disappointed! I downloaded this to my kindle and I literally couldn't put the kindle down, so much so that I had read all the book by a week later. I would highly recommend this book! :-)
on 27 March 2003
This novel is really enjoyable, hilarious, and a must read for your easter. Its name truly reflects the plot which is excellent. Unlike most books that you can predict from the start, this book makes you eager to know what the secret is. Also, the plot is very difficult to guess so it makes you go on reading every single page. In addition, this book is complete as it has answers for all your curiousities throughout the book. You will be delighted when you can get even to a bad girl who causes your life miserable.
Furthermore, although this book is like the second book of Sophie Kinsella after a long serie of Shopaholic, she managed well to differentiate the characters and flow of the story. So it is definitely not another shopaholic book with a different name. Count me in as a member of Sophie Kinsella fan club!
However, I am quite upset when the secret is revealed. It is nonsense and should not be that "BIG SECRET" to keep the story goes on. Otherwise, it would be rated 5 stars.