5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful, Endearing and Touching story
Sophie Kinsella is one of my absolute favorite authors of all time. I was excited when "Can You Keep a Secret" came out. Somehow I knew that it would be as good as the Shopaholic series. And I was right! It was a fantastically funny and touching read.
Published on 27 July 2003 by ChickLitGirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny in places
This is an easy read, and it only took me a few days to finish it. Kinsella is good at writing "can't put down" books and she engages the reader in a unique way; despite some bits not being wholly beleivable. At first, I found Emma irritating and annoying, and some parts I thought were really far-fetched. But as the book progresses, I find myself identifying with parts of...
Published on 23 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful, Endearing and Touching story, 27 July 2003
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
The main character, Emma Corrigan, is your normal 25-year old and somewhat-insecure woman. She is trying to get a promotion at work, has a fantastic boyfriend, and is very happy with life, or so she thinks. On an extremely turbulent flight back from a business trip from Glasgow, Emma's secrets unwillingly spill out to a total stranger next to her. She ends up telling this handsome American stranger nearly every secret she has, and then some. When the plane lands, she is embarrassed but figures she'll never see him again.
When this American stranger ends up being the owner at her job, Emma is mortified and determined to act like nothing happened. But Jack, the American stranger, has other ideas. Emma seems to have touched him in some way. And Emma, who thought she was totally happy with her perfect boyfriend, starts to wonder.
I recommend everyone to read "Can You Keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella. It will keep you turning page after page until you finish it; Emma is a delightfully imperfect heroine that many can identify with. Make sure not to miss this fantastic book! Now if Sophie Kinsella can just write books faster...

5.0 out of 5 stars Try to put this one down....you can't!, 5 Jun 2003
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
OK. So originally I bought this book for some light-hearted entertainment, then I started to read it. I had a serious problem trying to un-glue it from my hands! It was hard to stifle my laughter late at night, tears streaming down my face, reading how the main character's situation unfolds. This cleverly crafted novel gave a temendously touching and close to home situation focussing on that big word in a relationship "trust". Though all your self doubt quickly vanishes when you remember that your life can't really be THAT bad and that it's never too late to start to be truthful to yourself and others. I would recommend anyone to read this book providing they have a long day to read it in or can survive without sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 1 Sep 2007
Jessers (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I love Sophie Kinsella!!

I came across this book by chance and thought the story might have been a bit far fetched, but i'd give it a read anyway.
However I couldn't put it down. Kinsella's style of writing is perfect - any girl/woman can relate to what she says and you feel a real sense of connection with the main character Emma.
I've read it 5 times and it still makes me laugh every time!
WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANY CHIC LIT FAN +++++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars soooo funny!!!, 31 July 2007
Ms. S. Hodkinson (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
This is the kind of book i love - light hearted, easy to read and hilarious from front to back! i'm now going to read the shopoholic series....highly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Can You Keep A Secret?, 10 Feb 2006
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
I am in the process of reading Anna Karinina, the classic Leo Tolstoy novel, and while it is very interesting, I needed a break! So I decided to pick up Sophie Kinsella's new book and it was exactly what I needed! `CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET?' is light hearted and funny with all of the charm of Kinsella's `SHOPAHOLIC' series.
Emma is trying to climb her way up the corporate ladder at her marketing firm to no avail. While on a return flight from a business trip gone completely wrong she meets a handsome stranger. As the plane experiences a frightening amount of turbulence, Emma spills every detail imaginable about her life to this stranger. Upon return to work Emma finds the company abuzz with the anticipation of a visit from the companies founder Jack Harper, which to Emma's surprise happens to be the stranger from the plane!
The story takes a hilarious turn as Emma not so skillfully tries to avoid Jack, while Jack tries his hardest to spend as much time with Emma, his new ally, as possible. `CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET' gave me a fun three-day break from a tough novel and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it! 4 ½ Stars!!

4.0 out of 5 stars sweeeeet, 5 Dec 2007
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
I was given this book on my birthday and my friends both said it was a good read. I started reading it and got through it in about a week. Its a very good book and I did enjoy reading it. There were parts I found a tiny bit over the top but its made me get other books by Sophie !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Keep This A Secret!, 14 Aug 2007
Mr. John Frank Herbert (Greenwich, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
This isn't my type of book at all but I needed something light for a change, after struggling with the last few books.
My goodness what a surprise! - I couldn't wait to get back to this book each time, to find out what happens next, and laugh,grimace and smirk with each crazy turn of this tale.
A feelgood book that is nicely written - you feel you're right in there with Emma at every turn.
Great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A TREAT !, 14 Nov 2006
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
Oh Wow ! I did't realise what a treat I was in for. This is the first book to make me laugh out loud for a long time. I haven't read any others by Sophie Kinsella and from the appearance of the cover it looked like the usual `chick-lit' that's ok to read on holiday etc. It is definitely `chick-lit' but is of the more exceptionally humorous kind, I just couldn't put it down. The story is good, with loads of true to life characters and it puts the reader in a really happy mood. A very enjoyable quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am SOO love this book!, 13 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
I totally love this book! I simply could not put it down! You enter the world of dear darling Emma who is a marketing assistant who spills all her secrets out to this stranger on the plane. And from there she goes on a rollercoaster ride of her LIFE!
This book made me laugh (and cry at one part). It feels so real reading it, you really get to identify with the characters which I believe is truly the best part.
The story is adorable! I absolutely adore it! I haven't read such a good book in years!!!! Terrific!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Am still laughing..., 6 Nov 2003
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Paperback)
OK, so I normally go for the tragic romance which is filled with upsets and mortal blows--usually including the odd rape and death--but, for a change, I bought this book. I have to say that I read it within 24 hours, and I cannot recall laughing so much at any book...ever! The main charachter is extremely ordinary, and instantly likeable. Her position as an office clerk is one that most people will relate to, whether they work in an office or not, and her quirks are so normal that I could imagine them all! Needless to say, I was totally absorbed from page two, and had to have a box of tissues by my side to wipe off the tears of laughter. An easy read that I reckon would brighten anyone's day!

Can You Keep a Secret?
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (Paperback - 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01