5.0 out of 5 stars DIY virgin to bathroom almost done in 3 days
Published on 30 Sep 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay if your house was built before the war!!
Although at the beginning of this book the ideas of decoration are quite modern, the actual DIY content could of come straight from an Eagle manual of the fifties. Okay one could say that some of the techniques of DIY have not changed but house building techniques and materials have developed a lot quicker than this book has. A rather diasppointing and out-dated book.
Published on 18 Sep 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY virgin to bathroom almost done in 3 days, 30 Sep 2001
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
I had never done any DIY until 3 days ago. 2 hours reading this book told me all the tools and materials I would need, so I bought them all in one go (expensive, but necessary). Now, 3 days later I have almost finished redecorating the bathroom, including a bit of tiling. Lots of neat tips. Covers everything I have wanted so far. If you haven't done any DIY before, this should suit your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best D.I.Y. book I've ever used!, 25 Nov 1999
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
We wanted a house that we could "build" ourselves to meet our tastes and needs and not what someone else thought would be great. We knew we were taking on a big job, but, felt confident that we could see the work through ourselves.
With the Readers Digest D.I.Y. manual in hand, we have been able to do almost everthing that we have done to the house on our own and at a great savings. To date, the only outside help has been to have the house completely re-wired and brought up to code.
Following the clear advise and in-depth step by step instructions, I have wired up our loft, relocated a radiator from a wall that I'd just removed, flushed out our central heading system, successfully trouble-shot and repaired the central heating pump and re-decorated a bedroom from the floor up as well as completely re-modelling our back garden install a new outside "summer" room (crazy paved patio) complete with raised flower beds, trellaces and crazy paving garden path.
I can honestly say that if you only buy one D.I.Y. book, buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any D-I-Y Enthusiast, 24 Jan 2002
g joe (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
This book is a must have for any D-I-Y enthusiast or anyone about to venture into the world of D-I-Y but is very apprehensive about the outcome. Good introductions and step-by-step procedures will help you build confidence and the tools library is excellent to build a starter's essential tool box. The only draw back is that some of the building techniques referenced in the book are a bit dated, so make sure that what you have at home is similar to that mentioned in the book. Apart from that , I think it is a great and well written book . Cheers to Readers Digest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader's Digest Complete DIY manual, 8 Jan 2003
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
This is the only DIY manual you'll ever need to buy. It covers everything from every angle and every discipline. Everything is explained clearly so even if you're a complete novice you can't go wrong. Expert advice is always reccomended where necessary.
Whether you're painting, sanding floors or sorting out your garden, you won't be left with any unanswered questions.
Great value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Think before you buy !, 3 Jun 2003
Mr. D. R. Hart (Windsor United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
Whilst I agree with the other reviews, this book is getting out of sync with improvements that have happened in DIY since first publication and keeping up with the spate of DIY programmes on the media.
It badly needs a new updated issue with some new features like - the breed of new flooring products growing around us - what is best to buy and how to fit it.
The new generation of powered tools - jigs, biscuit jointers, routers etc, then the new types of electrical installations .. new type hobs/oven/multifunction microwaves, new kitchen lighting techniques etc.
Maybe a complete section on how best to fit a new kitchen and a new bathroom with all the mod con's.. there are very little books on seperate projects like these - a money spinner no doubt for someone keen to jump on this bandwagon.
All in all def a book for every shelf as the major parts do not age. Excellent pictorial approach and clear understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars "How to sort out that crisis . . . ." 10/10, 24 Nov 2000
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
Since buying a house with a couple (!) of surprises, this book has proved to be worth its weight in gold. Highly recommended to anyone with as much DIY skills as a jacket potato. A bit like us . . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and invaluable, 2 Jun 1999
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
I have just bought my first house and am a DIY infant. After stumbling around helplessly for a few months, paying plumbers and electricians who might as well be talking martian, I discovered this book.
This book is easily understandable for a novice, describing in simple terms all the essential systems in a house or flat (central heating, drainage, electrical etc.), as well as how to perform simple (and more complex) maintenance and upgrades on these systems (from how to fix a drippy radiator to how to install a shower). It also covers other areas, including flooring and design suggestions for space saving / maximising.
I couldn't have survived without it, and certainly couldn't list all the areas it covers. So far I have dipped into it for putting up shelves, laying vinyl flooring, laying wooden flooring, fixing a broken bannister, building an under stair cupboard, fixing a dripping radiator, understanding the water and electrical system and in deciding *not* to attempt plumbing in my own washing machine (yes it also freely advises on when it is a good idea to call in a professional). i probably haven't touched on half the stuff it contains here.
If you buy one DIY book, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was useless at DIY until I read this book!, 4 Aug 2000
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
With this book I learnt enough information to rewire a couple of rooms electrics, removed a wall, removed 2 x central heaters, plumbing, tiling and painting. Great ideas for interior and exterior renovations and decorations.
Book was delivered in less than 24 hours!
A must buy for any DIY!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great home help, 22 Jan 2003
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
This is a great beginner's guide to DIY around the house and I would recommend that any new house owner or people who have done little to no DIY in there lives to get this book. It is also useful to more experienced DIYers as it covers everything from painting and wood-working to fixing the roof.
The book is clearly set out in easy reference sections with a good contents page and index. It shows how things work and the main areas where certain things can go wrong. This combined with general maintenance tips and trouble-shooting makes this a superb book for DIYers from complete novice to the more experienced. The explanations are clear and are combined with clear diagrams in a lot of cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DIY Book, 18 May 2001
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
Like the others reviewing this book, I have recently bought a house that requires renovations. Not having any DIY experience, I bought this book to give me some indications as to what would be involved. The book has a great deal of useful information and is very well structured, with chapters on interior design, plumbing, painting, tiling, woodwork, electric's, required tools etc. It also has plenty of photographs of how the work should be done. Although I have not compared this to other DIY books, I would thoroughly recommend this book as a starting point.

Complete DIY Manual
Complete DIY Manual by Reader's Digest (Hardcover - Feb 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01