on 11 February 1997
This guide is invaluable for those of us who are beginners as well as for those that need a refresher course. It benefits the proficient as it shows many types of needlework patterns. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on knitting, for this type of needlework is where my interest lies most. It has pages of illustrations for particular pattern stitches with how to create the pattern yourself.
on 1 April 1999
This book covers more types of needlework than any other book I have in my personal library. Whenever I need a resource, even something no longer in vogue I usually find some mention of it in this book. I recently taught a class in Huck embroidery and couldn't find anything on the subject until I looked in this book. It was very thorough with clear, concise instructions. This is a must have for every needleworkers personal library, stitching clubs or Guild.
on 2 January 1998
I have used this book to learn to knit, crochet, new embroidery stitches, quilting and lace work. The instructions are simple and the illustrations are very easy to read because of the contrast in colors used.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 September 2013
My grandmother borrowed me this book a few months ago, but asked me to return it. I recently got big into knitting, crocheting and quilting and she thought I'd find it interesting. Considering its age from when it was printed (1981) I thought I may copy a few pages from it, but so quickly I fell in live with this book. It is a robust book with a hardcover and is about the size of an A4 piece of paper. It is SO in depth, going through different types of fabric, materials, tools as well as different techniques for different types of knit, crochet, etc etc with detailed pictures of what it looks like when done and illustrations of how to do it step by step that are easy to understand. I am by no means an expert - I know how to knit one way and how to crochet one way, so as a "beginner" it's brilliant. I do have basic knowledge, which might help, but I have picked up a few different techniques. It goes through in detail how to plan out layouts for detailing on projects with several complete how tos on projects. I started going through it and it makes everything look achievable. I am most looking forward to learning lace making! My grandmother told me, even though she has been sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, patchwork and rug making since she was 10 (she is now 78!) she still will go back for reference, so I would say still useful for one more experienced crafters. I would highly recommend to anyone interested in embroidery, canvas work, rug making, appliqué, knitting, patchwork, macramé, quilting, lacemaking and crocheting. So much information, so many picture tutorials. Great for all experience levels (but if you're a beginner start from the beginning of the sections and really get familiar with those!)
covering embroidery, canvas work, rugmaking, applique, knitting, patchwork, macrame, quilting, lacemaking & crochet (and each of these in detail, with projects to try) you cant fault this book. i got it out recently to find out how to knit on 4 needles- all the info i needed was there, clearly presented. some of the projects look slightly dated now, but that's the only weakness. every knitter/ sewing enthusiast should have this in their collection
on 15 June 2009
This book is one of my all time favourites. I lost my last edition in a move so had to replace it. It is excellent for both beginners and those wishing to take their craft one step further.
on 15 February 2014
i originally borrowed a copy of this book from a friend and loved it so much I wanted one for myself.
i rated it 5 star because it has everything I was looking for. I've always loved any kind of needlework. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the same things. It's very easy to follow.
on 20 May 2016
Essential for any craftwoman's bookshelf! It covers all the basics and with easy to follow picture it's a wonderful teaching aid. There are just some books that don't go out of date. Wonderful reference encyclopaedia.
on 11 January 2012
This book is a timeless must-have. I love its step-by-step approach to mastering all the basic and advanced embroidery stitching. It is a useful companion for both beginners and more advanced needleworkers.
on 14 December 2012
It's got the lot and very easy to understand. I prefer the older books as they explain things far more clearly.