5.0 out of 5 stars Lizzie the Chef

Published on 23 Jan 2009 by Ms. Elizabeth Childs

3.0 out of 5 stars Comments on the condition of the book
Some pages have brown "age" marks but generally it's clean and unmarked.
The general layout of the book is good, with coloured photos and clear recipes and hints.
Published 13 months ago by E M A CONN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lizzie the Chef, 23 Jan 2009
Ms. Elizabeth Childs "birthdaydiva" (Herefordshire Gt Britain) - See all my reviews
The Cookery Year

My mother bought this book back in the mid 70's when it was first published. I tried various recipes from time to time, and the book became a godsend after her untimely death in early 1992. I acquired a puppy shortly afterwards, the aroma of book glue was too much to resist for her, so the spine got chewed!! From then on, I limped along with a very battered (and spattered!) copy, and some 18 months ago, I was able to source a replacement copy, before I found the wonders of Amazon! A wonderful book, with as previous reviewers have said, tips on skinning rabbits (not for the fainthearted!) and buying offal - not for the squeamish amongst us. This is a book for anyone setting up home, or wanting to start out on a great cookery adventure!

PS - the updated version of this book which I think was published in the mid 1990s has some good qualities, but it is not a patch on the original, as several recipes have been removed, and ingredients have been adapted to what has become available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely best cookery book. Ever!, 24 Jun 2009
Gael (Highlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
I grew up with the 1973 edition of the Cookery Year, and it was regular bedtime reading all through my teens. When I was 21 and bought my first house my house warming present was the latest (1976) edition.

That is still on my kitchen bookshelf 23 years later, much used but very loved.

But best of all, my three year old daughter sits on the work top as I cook and she reads through this page by page, but is always drawn back to 'Bunnies on the Lawn' and the confectionery page.

As a teaching aid about food, I can think of no finer book, and it beats every other glossy, child-oriented cooking and food publication hands down in my opinion. Even as a former vegan, I am quite happy for her to study the pages showing sources of meat and offal and game, as it is honest and fuss free, and is already giving her a good insight into the highly important topic of the origins of food, without any accompanying moral overtone, or need for squeamishness.

An excellent book, for many many reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never need another cookery book!, 8 Jan 2009
S. Morris (Uxbridge, MIDDX Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
I've used this book for over 30 years now. Quite simply the first cookery book that I always go to on the shelf. It always seems to have everything I am looking for, in fact, Readers Digest might have done themselves a dis-service because I will never really need to buy another one. Serious cooks, and vegetable growers simply must own this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you could only have one cookery book, this is the one to buy., 7 July 2014
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
These days I have quite a sizeable collection of cookery books, however, nothing gets as much use as The Cookery Year.

As far as I am aware, this is the first book to encourage the use of seasonal ingredients, and as such, unknowingly encouraged the use of food with a small carbon footprint, long before that term was ever coined. Seasonal food tends to be fresher, and dishes made with fresher food taste better.

There is an excellent range of recipes divided up by season. One or two may betray the age of the book by being a bit old-fashioned, but they are none the worse for that. Where this book excels, is in the range of information provided. It explains the different cuts of meat, and where they come from, it provides comprehensive pictures of just about every fish or fruit you are likely to come across. It takes you through various processes in an easy to follow step by step guide that will have you proficient in the right way to carve a leg of lamb, bone a chicken or even skin a rabbit. Whenever I have a simple cookery question such as how many minutes a pound for rare roast beef, or how to dress a crab, the Cookery Year Book is the first place I look as it has all the information in a quickly accessible format. No hunting through multiple books looking for that snippet of information buried somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Mar 2014
R. Petrie - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
I bought this book, to replace the one I bought in 1975. My original book has been constantly used since that date and was showing it's age.
It is packed full of excellent recipes and cooking tips. It even has chapters on the types and cuts of meat, fish and poultry, and the ways to prepare them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present and receiver very happy, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
This book was bought as a second hand copy as a present.

Have not seen it yet in person, but am told that it is a good looking copy and that the recipient is very happy with the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book and had my own copy when it ..., 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
I love this book and had my own copy when it was first published ,then it disappeared so was really happy that you stocked it.Best cookery book ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars She was delighted with the quality, 4 July 2014
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
This was a gift for a friend. She was delighted with the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever cook book, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
I bought this for my daughter, so she did not need to keep borrowing mine, which I have had since the late seventies. Has served 2 generations very well.
The book was in excellent condition and hardly looked used at all, unlike my copy.
Can highly recommend this book, it has lots of posh recipes for special occasions, but all the basic, like different batters ie for fish or pancakes, and very easy to follow, and the prep times are all a lot more accurate than in a lot of other recipe books . So happy to have found this book again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like meeting an old friend, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Hardcover)
\this is an old favourite I used when I was first married inthe 70s. So pleased to find it again.Full of all the basic cooking info and loads of . Don't need another cookery book. . great recipes using seasonal food. Just the job.This is all you will need.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Cookery Year
The Cookery Year by Reader's Digest (Hardcover - 1 Jan 1974)
Used & New from: £8.97