‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have book, 28 Mar. 2005
I learned to cook with this book and yet I still regularly use it to prepare some terrific food. If you can find it, be sure to buy the (now unfashionable) original version. This has information on skinning rabbits, preparing pheasants etc. which is omitted from the new edition. Also, the new edition tries to be 'healthier'. Often this is fine, but the sad truth is that for many traditional English, French and Italian recipes olive oil just isn't a particularly good suitable for the butter, lard or dripping used traditionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars The tome of all cooking knowledge..., 12 Dec. 2006
The original version of this book is amazing, I have an old 1981 copy that I stole from my mother upon leaving for university, its nearly as old as me but still the best cookbook I have ever found. If you can get one of the old copies I recommend it, firstly it has the month by month guide to in season produce and recipes, good for those concerned with buying local produce. But then there is so much more, even down to skinning game and cooking instructions for almost every meat, vegetable and pastry imaginable. I have been a head chef since then, even so I still occasionally refer to. Forget all the glossy books from celebrity chefs, a bespattered, tatty copy of this will stand you in far better stead!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would-be Chefs Young or Old, 7 Feb. 2004
This is one of the best cookery books ever. Taking you from boiling an egg or making mash potato to a full blown wedding feast. You are given all sorts of ideas and menus, set out in month order using ingredients that are available fresh and at their best in that particular month from snacks to five course meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful book ever!, 15 July 2004
By A Customer
This book is perfect whether you can already cook or you are just learning. I've had my copy for years and I still constantly refer to it. Everything you need to know about buying, preparing and cooking food is in this book. It's the only cookery book you'll ever need!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Reader's Digest Cookery Year, 4 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Reader's Digest) (Hardcover)
This is an absolute must for anyone serious about cooking! It contains a wealth of practical information about food and how to prepare it, serve it and store it.

This volume dispels any myths about exotic fruit or vegetables and tells you just what you need to do with them. With beautiful photo's to illustrate the recipes, which are organized in chronological order, according to seasonably available produce it is a gold mine of information.

Lovely and informative drawings accompany the extensive section on each type of food, from the basics such as chicken all the way through the traditional animal kingdom to exotics such as celariac or sharon fruits.

For anyone starting off their lives as a homemaker this is just what they need, although it does touch on delights such as winemaking, jam making and preserving fruit in jars.

I have lived by this book for over twenty years now and despite the more modern volumes published by trendy television chefs, I return to the recipes in The Reader's Digest Cookery Year again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but a Goodie, 24 Jan. 2011
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Reader's Digest) (Hardcover)
This is the book that taught me how to cook. It was the go-to book for all of my first attempts at cooking. I remember the first dinner party I did (well a meal for family) featured the Strawberry Ice Cream from here. It was a bit grainy - but not a bad attempt for a 10 year old.

The book is well structured with a good introduction to various food stuffs, recipes broken down into months (thus highlighting seasonal produce at peak teams) and then a great section of staple recipes to conclude.

It might seem a little out-dated now - but it still ranks as a classic in my eyes. The Gougere recipe has long been a favourite - as has the Tyrol Cake (a spiced sponge with honey and dried fruit)

My mother had a copy, my sister has a copy. I suspect many families are the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars reader's digest'The cookery year', 25 Oct. 2007
The best cookbook ever. This book taught me to cook anything from the basics to elaborate dinners and I still use it more than any of my numerous other cookbooks. Sadly however, my 1980 copy is starting to disintegrate with overuse and I need a new one. Please Reader's Digest, bring it back into print, I simply can't manage without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars cookery book, 28 Oct. 2010
A really good cookery book that has loads of good quality recipes for beginners and advanced cooks! It provides a yearly month by month format that teaches the beginner the advantages of seasonal cooking and how to make the most out of whats in season. It has step by step guides and an index that will teach you all you need to know whether you 18 or 80! This is the second readers digest cookery book I v owned. I lost the first one and this makes an excellent replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still using the 1973 version!, 22 Aug. 2011
We were given this book as a wedding present in 1974 and it's now looking very tattered and spattered with food stains! My son would love to get a copy but I'm wary of suggesting the more recent edition because it sounds like it's full of "healthy" ingredients! He is fascinated by this book precisely because it's so different from most modern cookbooks and it has so much information about techniques and basic skills. I have used my book constantly over the last 36 years and it really is falling apart at the seams - it's such a classic and though there are many recipes I wouldn't try (Calves Brains in Curry Sauce, for example!) it's my go-to book on so many occasions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookery book ever!, 25 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Cookery Year (Reader's Digest) (Hardcover)
My mother bought this book in the 70's and I have loved it all my life. It is now mine and I refer to it constantly for inspiration and excellent advice along with fail safe recipes. Gorgeously illustrated with a mine of recipes, tips and know how. My copy is now a little tatty at the binding and I have to smile as I see that when I was a child I took a black marker and blacked out 2 pictures of pigs heads!! I would recommend this book for all cooks no matter what level. I refer to it time and time again and I wouldn't be without it. It has never let me down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Cookery Year (Reader's Digest)
The Cookery Year (Reader's Digest) by Margaret Coombes (Hardcover - Oct. 1973)
Used & New from: £12.62