4.0 out of 5 stars Long Term Approach
Published on 16 Oct. 2009 by Henry Chinaski

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some good advice in it
This guide has some good advice in it to assist you in share selection, but there are other books in the 'series' which are better and more useful!
Published 10 months ago by Mr R J WELSH

4.0 out of 5 stars Long Term Approach, 16 Oct. 2009
I recently started share dealing on the internet, as a complete novice. After some initial success I made 2 terrible deals which cost me thousands. I decided to invest a few pounds in a book which could help me make better choices. While this book would have probably helped me avoid the two bad deals, it was not what I was actually looking for. This book explains ten ways to select shares which will perform in the long term ( 5 to 10 years or more ). This is not a book with advice on short term trading, I have recently purchased 'A Beginners Guide to Short Term Trading' by Toni Turner, there are many others of this nature. I have given this book 4 stars because the authors knowledge of stock markets is second to none, and there is excellent advice for those with money to invest. However, some of the 'ways' suggested are fairly complex and require some effort on the part of the investor. No bad thing, given my poor performance with my technique of 'stab in the dark'. To summarise, this book has excellent advice for those looking to select shares with long term growth potential. Those looking for help in turning a profit at short term trading, look at books with titles containing that phrase, or at least the word 'trading' in the title! Finally, for those thinking of attempting to make money from the stock market, i would advise you to buy some books on the subject first, and start trading with small amounts of money at first, to get some practice, without losing your whole pot!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful book, 20 Dec. 2009
Andrew Knight (Leyland, UK) - See all my reviews
Good value and interesting. The first half of the book gives interesting general background information and the second half describes ten different approaches to buying shares that suit a variety of investors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Nov. 2012
I have seen other reviews saying that is was a bit dry reading but a good book. I have to disagree, this is a great book and could not put it down.

I do not work in finance and do not like to work with numbers however, as I've seen and read on tv and newspapers about bankers, investers and business men making money medium to long term, I thought whats the harm of giving it a read. Definately got me interested and wanting to find out more and put the methods in to practice (which I will start with paper trading as suggested being a novice and all)

I would most definately recommend this to my friends.

I have been reading other books which recommended this book and glad I bought it also, would be nice if they did a kindle version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, really useful, 10 Dec. 2013
Mr. Christopher J. Howe (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
This book doesn't cover the mechanics of trading, it covers a full spectrum of trading strategies.

If you are new to trading it really does give you tonnes of ideas, and guides you to methods more suited to your personality. You'll need to supplement this with other books, especially if you are trading with real money! Lots of pearls in these pages, and really worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS BOOK!, 17 Dec. 2011
5 stars and a title of ...'buy this book'. Difficult to justify when I don't feel that this is an easy reading bed time book or particularly pleasant so why the rave review?

This book is prescriptive, it cuts through ALL the niceties and pleasantries and tells you what to expect and then 10 different methods to successful trading tailored to, I should think, all different personalities and types of people.

Hanging onto the tails of successful investors, finding those people or funds with exceptional long term performance and how to emulate them. Reviewing the charts/trends for a company over and using the business documentation to establish how this growth has occurred, sound business theory or a bubble type bull market?

Looking at the specifics of shares which perform in different markets, different capitalisations and different times and reviewing how they have performed and how you could have analysed them. Examples included profiles and discussions on Jessops, Filofax, Fortune oil etc etc.

A difficult review, yet at the same time the easiest I have ever had to do! This book is great and worth 5 stars all day long every day. If you intend on trading in stocks and shares then this is a MUST. Just dont expect to lay in bed and enjoy a 5 minute read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some good advice in it, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The Financial Times Guide to Selecting Shares That Perform: 10 Ways to Beat the Stock Market (The FT Guides) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading., 25 Feb. 2013
Focussed more on UK based investments, which is a change from the many books on USA based investing.

Good for Commonwealth countries investors.

3.0 out of 5 stars What was it all about?, 29 July 2013
Plenty of waffle
A good but limited review of various investing techniques
reaching an anticlimax in Way X
The psychological types were best left out in my opinion,
as who can say what is best for whom.
And I was left confused regarding the long term perspective.
Shall reread without the suspense this time.