on 27 October 2012
I would highly recommend this book for anybody thinking about writing their own CV. I thought writing a CV would be easy - it is just a record of my skills, qualifications and experience after all! But after staring at a blank screen for ages, I finally realised I would need some help and this book proved invaluable. The examples of CVs at the back of the book have really helped me to produce a CV that looks good whilst the earlier chapters ensured that I included only what recruiters will want to see in my new CV. I am so pleased with the result and have already had some really positive feedback from my CV!
on 13 November 2012
Finding myself back in the job market after time out looking after my family I found myself up against a huge amount of competition, and despite some strong experience and skills I wasn't getting interviews, or even call backs from agencies. A friend recommended this title to me and after some months without success I thought I'd give it a try. It has really made me think about the way I "market" myself. It shows how a CV can be so much more than just a biography. From simple guidance, such as tailoring your CV for each role to more sophisticated tips on style, key words and formatting this book really has proved a great help to me returning to the work force. With my new and improved CV sent out I am now getting those interviews. Well worth the money!
on 2 November 2012
I thought my own CV was quite good, but after getting no responses when I sent it out to various companies I decided to do a proper job and got this book to help me. What a transformation my CV has undertaken! It appears I had broken nearly every rule when writing a CV. Thankfully, I've now set that straight after reading The CV book, and so far I've had three offers of interviews. I'm soooo pleased I bought it. Would recommend it to anyone thinking of writing or rewriting their CV. It was an easy (and quite humorous) read. I got The Cover Letter Book too, and I think that definitely helped to secure the interviews.
on 14 April 2014
This book is nothing less than inspired. It absolutely makes sense of a subject that makes no sense. What is expected from potential employers has changed dramatically in the last decade. James makes sense of the whole mess and even speaks to each country and their differences in expectations. As a Resume/CV writer, this book is sits next to me and is my first go to. You too will love it just as much. This is an absolutely must have for all Resume/CV writers and people who are writing their own. Thank you James.
on 25 February 2013
I must say I found this book very, very average indeed. As a professional recruiter who is often helping people to rewrite their CVs I thought it would be a good book to make sure I am structuring things in the right way and might give me some hints and tips I had not thought of. Sadly, I found the book very disappointing, if you are looking to get a job in a shop or a factory it will probably help but if you are a senior manager / director / CxO in any profession with 10 + years experience behind you, it will be a complete waste of money as does the book does not focus on any of the main points that senior hiring managers look for now days. I also honestly don't know how this book is so long, as it is 95% fluff. I can only assume that the publishers have said people wont pay £10 for a book that is only a few pages long but it would be a far better guide if it was. In short if you have not the faintest idea about a CV then it is worthwhile, I suppose. However, if you are looking to create a high impact sales document then you would have totally wasted your money.
on 30 April 2014
I own a number of CV writing books and this is my absolute 'go-to' guide. It is extremely comprehensive and contains everything I need to know about writing a fantastic CV that will capture attention and stand out from the crowd. The writing style is very straightforward and explains everything in perfectly understandable terms! In addition, there are plenty of examples of diverse, brilliantly-written CVs to look through and a case study to guide readers through the whole book.

In a word - perfect!
on 27 October 2012
My CV hadn't been rewritten for a good few years - I was painfully aware of how much the job market has changed since i was last looking so figured I needed some help. This book is really really excellent - its plain and simple and gets to the point! No jargon, just concise and easy to apply.

I have used this book to revamp my CV and I am in the very early stages of my job search but I have had brilliant feedback so far.

I recommend this book to anyone looking for a new job.
on 23 October 2012
I bought this book when I felt my own CV could use a spruce up, and I've found it to be really excellent. Very clearly written in different sections, with really great examples at every stage. An easy read, no clever jargon - a proper "handbook" to write a perfect CV that will get you noticed. My own CV is completely different and SO much better as a result! I feel really confident with it now, and would recommend this book to anyone.
on 24 October 2012
I think everyone thinks writing a CV is a simple and easy thing to do - how wrong they (and I) was! Its simple to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys) but its not simple to put what employers want to see in the way in which they want it displayed. This gives fab examples and helped me get rid of the rubbish from my CV - all the stuff I wanted to include but is irrelevant in the cold light of day. A definite buy for any job seeker!
on 24 May 2016
I have found this helpful with a number things. I tend to be a bit hopeless about selling myself and I don't tend to think that what I've done is that special. It's made me look at my CV again and I'm making changes. The reason I've given it 4 rather than 5 is that I'm not a high flyer and most of these books tend to aim at high flights. This one does but to a slightly lesser degree so I was able to benefit from it too.