5.0 out of 5 stars I once was blind but now I see...
Published 16 months ago by Pavlos

3.0 out of 5 stars if you know nothing of good CX then worth a read
The content is good if a little muddled at times.

If you do know a little CX then this is probably going to be teaching you to suck eggs.

Published 2 months ago by mememan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I once was blind but now I see..., 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Ten Principles Behind Great Customer Experiences (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
The world is full of books that tell you how to be better at your job. In the case of marketing this often takes the form of the helpful assertion that you should `be more like Apple'. And everyone says we totally should. And this is all well and good until someone says, `How do we do that?' And then everyone starts staring at the floor and mumbling. This continues until someone finally decides to commission some research that confirms that people do indeed like Apple. Or apples, depending on the quality of your research company.

Watkinson's book is considerably more helpful. In it he clearly argues for, and indeed demonstrates how and why customer experience should be the real focus of any business. Why traditional metrics and research are far less helpful than we think and how psychological insight is a far better basis on which to build things for actual people. It will change the way you look at the world, initially making it more annoying. Shortly thereafter you'll start to see how easy it would be to make things better. That's its genius. It tells you how. And it makes it seem so simple. Which it is when someone else has taken the trouble of reading over 200 books for you and then carefully distilled their insights on human psychology into a well written and easy to follow Hanes manual for customer experience. It even comes with work sheets. It's almost as if he actually wants to help, and not just make a career out of telling companies they should be more like Apple.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Reading Experience, 19 Mar 2013
I bought this book on the back of a workshop session in which it was described by "if you only read one book about User Experience..." etc.

Considering there are only ten principles, the book goes into considerable depth, including numerous illuminating real-life examples.

Initially, I felt slightly underwhelmed with the content since much of it seems "obvious" to the casual reader, but some time after having put it down I realised that I was thinking about my own customer / user experiences in a fundamentally different and markedly objective way. I attribute this to the fact that the principles are so well documented in a single volume and presented in such a coherent way.

In general this book is very accessible and was easy to pick up and dive into. My only slight criticism is that the structure seems a little muddled at times - I think due to the abstract nature of some principles and the tendency for multiple principles to overlap. That said, I believe that the intentionally concise style helps to mitigate this as much as possible.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a really great primer to the subject of customer experience. I think it is most certainly that, and probably more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear & useful, 17 Feb 2013
Matt cuts through the flabby thinking that tends to accompany the world of "customer experience."

The book is exceptionally well written: there's a zen-like clarity, his words selected with laser-like precision. I love the pictures of his research material in the accompanying website; it's also got downloadable worksheets to help people structure their customer experience thinking. Useful.

The themes which remain with me a week on:

- Quantitative metrics "cannot replace an empathetic feel for what might delight the customer". Get out there see your customers for yourself.

- Understand why people really buy your product. Ask yourself "If our brand is the answer, what is the question?" We're after the truth here - not what people post-rationalise after purchase. Matt gave the example of Superdry. Faux-Americana and Japanese cultural signifiers of authenticity are beside the point. Their founder is quoted as saying they produce "clothes blokes can go down the pub in and not be laughed at." It's easy to see how strategy and tactics can tumble from such a powerful insight.

- Engage the senses. This is one I've spent 6 months thinking about for a client project which is now bearing fruit, so it is a particular favourite. Consider each sense in turn - are you engaging with it? Have you overlooked anything? Points of difference are precious few, so seek them out. You could even build an identity around them.

- We are all educated in design now. The bar rises daily. Taken from the book's first chapter:

"10 years ago, when faced with confusing technology many would simply say `I'm not a technical person.' Nowadays the consumer knows better. There are no technical and non-technical people, there are products that are well designed for their intended audience and there are those that are not, and we are now far more likely to blame the product rather than ourselves. This reflects a growing role that design plays in our lives. Amazon was not the first online bookstore, Google was not the first search engine, and IKEA was not the first furniture manufacturer: their success is intrinsically linked to their excellence in design."

Inspiring stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone owning a business / designing products or services, 15 Feb 2013
I've been doing user / customer experience design for clients in a variety of industries for more than 9 years and this is one of only 2 books that I've read back to back.

Oh and I've made lots of notes in the margins.

Put simply, this book summarises why keeping the customer at the centre of any product / service design decisions is crucial to your business's success. In fact with a double dip recession around us, customer centric design is what differentiates businesses that thrive despite economic troubles vs those that fail / sufer.

The book explains all of the above in a non pretentious, approachable and most importantly implementable way. Every chapter will give you an idea / inspiration on what you can do better in your own business or product / service you are designing.

Well worth a read and then multiple re reads!

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, clever and very practical, 3 Jan 2013
Buy it!

Just buy it!

You'll thoroughly enjoy it and never think of your experiences as customer, business owner, manager, employer, employee or citizens in the same light again.

This book captures the different aspects of experiences so concisely and clearly that it makes you slap your forehead in disbelief on why you did not think of it yourself. Or perhaps you have, but never found the words to describe it as simply and humorously as the author has done here.

The book is structured into short yet expressive chapters which I read one at time over my breakfast - which then made me think of the topic all day, discussing it with friends and colleagues and recognising the principles in the experiences of the day. A really enjoyable experience all in itself. The different sections make sure you don't get bored or carried away and the numerous examples of up-to-date and interesting businesses and their activities makes it a very `down-to-earth' book, which doesn't show off with business jargon, models and theories that are only ever used in academic exams. This book is written for everyday use, with reality in mind and has made me think much more consciously of how and what organisations are achieving and what they are not.

I can't recommend this book enough, it's absolutely excellent - and even if you have no interest or scope to influence customer experiences yourself, this book is hugely interesting which made me understand myself as a human being and human consumer much more. It has provided me with more competence and confidence in understanding what I am experiencing and I am enjoying recognising the principles everywhere.

I am sure you will enjoy the book as much as I have!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant book, 24 Dec 2012
B. Smith - See all my reviews
This book has made me think in a different way about everything I do, and has inspired me to be more rigorous about how I approach design, both at work and at home.

I find business books extremely hard going for the most part - stodgy, jargon-filled and full of diagrams that have me glazing over at first glance. There's none of that here. It's easy to read, full of excellent examples and is inspiring in a way that really is as accessible as the back cover makes out.

I've shown snippets to doubting friends who could have sworn I was on commission, and have enjoyed hearing back later that they'd ordered a copy for themselves. I hope it finds its way into design (and marketing, and sales, and support, and management - you get the picture!) departments everywhere.

Books and courses approaching these topics generally feel unsuitable for those unable to implement every single one of their recommendations. Following just a single principle from this book would yield massive improvements, and it'd be entirely possible to move slowly towards making use of them all as they get more and more second nature. I think that's really exciting - bite off as much or as little as you can manage and you'll see changes for the better.

Things I'd change (hey, it's a design book!):
- the typeface. The book's content is excellent, but it would have benefited from a more polished presentation. Sans serif doesn't work nearly as well for me in print, especially not for something of this length;
- the gutters down the centre of the book were too narrow for my taste. I needed to pry it open more than expected to get each line's extremities.

Neither detracted substantially from what I think is one of the most important books I've ever read. It covers design, business, psychology and more, and does so in fascinating, accessible fashion.

I'll be reading and re-reading this book, and will continue to sing its praises to friends and colleagues. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't learn something useful here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful book on Customer Experience?, 29 Mar 2013
I have read many books on Customer Experience. Matt's book is the one that resonates best with my experience in working with organisations to improve the customer experience.

I say that The Ten Principles Behind Great Customer Experiences is the best book, today, on Customer Experience. It is clearly written by someone who is in the trenches grappling with the subject matter. It is practical. It is well structured. It is easy to read. It is useful. It even made me laugh. And Matt has even produced worksheets that you can download from his website.

Too many writers on Customer Experience do not get people, do not get relationship, do not even get experience. Matt is different he gets people at the levels that really matter and drive customer behaviour. He conveys this understanding brilliantly in Chapters 4 and 5.

I thoroughly recommend that if you have any interest at all in Customer Experience then you put Matt's book on the top of your reading list. Incidentally, you can read it in one evening if you are minded to do so. And that is another great feature of the book: Matt has focussed on the essentials, taken out the padding that is found in too many books.

3.0 out of 5 stars if you know nothing of good CX then worth a read, 3 May 2014
The content is good if a little muddled at times.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to get your head around the idea that pleasing your customers will ultimately lead to increased shareholder value vs focusing on short term shareholder value will almost certainly not lead to increased customer experience and long term company growth. As the author rightly highlights, most companies & analysts still do not get this seemingly obvious concept.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Powerful, 28 Mar 2014
I just finished a marathon read of this book, which, on the back of it, has helped to kick off step one of a fantastic overhaul I plan to make to one particular business I run. Fantastic information, interestingly conveyed - the stories throughout were both short and inspiring - and the way the author has organised the content is fabulous. I'm a huge fan of principles so the conveying of the information at this level was spot on - very adaptable and applicable to so many different situations that way.

I loved all the subtle but powerful references to the techniques from the lean/agile genre without once mentioning the word agile (and I'll forgive the one reference to lean as it was spot on ;)

Thank you to the author for all the hard work and, in particular, hard thinking that went into making such a seriously powerful, yet very simplified expression of how to excel in the field of customer experience. Kudos!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered, 16 Mar 2014
Excellent condition well worth the money will be able to use extracts to complete my assignment from university for my business degree course

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Ten Principles Behind Great Customer Experiences (Financial Times Series)
16.00