Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 August 2012
As they say on Dragon's Den - Let me tell you where I'm coming from: I consider myself to be a beginner with Photoshop and although I'm happy to crop and rotate documents, that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Back to the book: I really like "Brilliant Photoshop CS6" because it seems to be aimed at my level. It's not turgid chapters of technical instruction but instead is full of annotated screen shots and useful tips.

There are 22 sections in 561 pages that cover key areas such as "Mastering the Art of Selection" (Section 4,) "Working with Layers" (Section 5) and "Creating Masks" (Section 10.)

Each section is divided into a dozen or more topics such as "Using the Magic Wand Tool", "Duplicating a Layer" or "Creating a Layer Mask."

A typical topic covers one or two pages and includes a clearly written introduction with a detailed step by step guide. Each step is numbered and together with the coloured screenshots on each page, is easy to follow the instructions. "Did You Know" and "For Your Information" sections give useful hints. The text is easy to read and the screenshots are clear. Of course Photoshop has evolved over the years and new topics are clearly marked as such in the contents.

I really like "Brilliant Photoshop CS6". It's aimed at the enthusiastic newcomer to Photoshop and all but the most expert will find something of value. I particularly like the clear structure and format of and the focus that each topic gives.

It seems very comprehensive and probably best treated as a reference book once you know the basics, although you could treat it an instruction manual by attacking the topics in order.
At under £20 "Brilliant Photoshop CS6" is a great guide for all but the most expert.

Finally, be aware that "Brilliant Photoshop CS6" by Steve Johnson is the same as "Adobe Photoshop CS6 on Demand" but with a different cover.
on 3 August 2014
I borrowed this from the library, and decided it was the best book on Photoshop I had come across (I already have 11 books on various aspects of Photoshop including Adobe's own manual), so I bought my own copy. If you only want one book on Photoshop, this is it.
on 17 May 2013
I have just bought this book as I've just upgraded to CS6 and was looking for an instruction manual which informs without boring. I'm well versed in Photoshop and have taught it for several years but you can always learn something new and the explanations and content have not disappointed. It is very well laid out with just enough background info for the technique you are using and really easy to follow instructions down the sides of each page. All instruction books should be like this. Easy to follow and and informative. Top marks from me.
on 14 October 2013
I bought this to help me with the new version of Photoshop in Uni. This has been great due to the different image techniques and tools to use; it is very illustrative.
From this, it has made me more confident using the software. It came in plenty of time and the service was good.
on 13 March 2014
A good book and the topics well explained for non-nerds. The only slight niggle is that I wish these reference books would be made in ring-binder form as eventuall the spine of the book falls apart.
on 9 April 2014
Easy to follow. Clear. Good reference when stuck. Would recommend. Have bought others in series all similar style. Useful tool for beginner to more advanced level.
on 17 April 2013
I have found this to be the right book for me, others may differ. I checked all the books I could and this gave me what I wanted.
on 29 January 2016
Book was just as expected, used but all there. Excellent way to buy expensive books cheaply. Will definitely be using again
on 24 March 2015
Does what it says on the cover - it's brilliant - and great for novices and experts alike
on 25 June 2012
For those of you buying this book it is exactly the same book as Adobe Photoshop CS6 on Demand but it has a differant title i was unlucky enough to buy both of them they are identical books except for book covers and title