Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 November 2006
I'm in my 2nd year of study at university and I was sceptical of how much benefit I could get from a study skills text. The wide range of topics included in The Smarter Student though means that every aspect of university is covered and there were loads of tips that I wouldn't have thought of before. My tip to other students is to have this book on their desk and use it - this book has been a great help!
on 24 August 2007
I really struggled through the first four or five months at university. I really had no concept of how to handle all of the pressure from university, let alone manage to attend all of it. This book was recommended to me by a friend and I haven't looked back since. I started using it straight away and in one module where I thought I would fail, I actually achieved a good grade.

This book is there for people just to dip in when they need a bit of help or guidence or you can read it cover to cover and become the ultimate fighting student (fighting on the academic battlefield of course)! It covers how to survive Fresher's Week - trust me when I say it's absolutely essential - I wish I'd had the book when I went to my Fresher's Week. But it covers a lot of ground in helping to understand your strengths when it comes to studying, where you might fall down and what you excel in. This book helps you make the most of your strengths and helps you to adjust your habits and practices on your weaknesses.

More than that, this book is written in such a way that you don't feel like an author is trying to hold your hand through university. It makes you feel like you've made all of the decisions and that you have supported yourself, perhaps with just a little guidence. It lets you stand on your own two feet.

I think this book is written for people who DON'T like skills guides with drawings and illustrations to photocopy. This book tells it like it is and expects you to do the best for yourself. I would recommend this book to everyone starting university for the first time, I would also recommend it to people who are at university and want to improve.

I've been through so many study guides and so many different formats but this book is the best there is.
on 2 January 2007
I'm a geography student in my second year at University and am impressed with the range of content that The Smarter Student provides. The sections on essay writing and revision are particularly useful. Having used the book for recent essays, it has definately been a great help and will be used for future revision and assignments
on 14 August 2007
This is a fantastic book, and would be a great benefit to anyone looking towards their first year at university. The book gives an excellent introduction to 'What university involves' giving tips on how to prepare for university and most important, details on what makes university education different. Although I would recommend this book for first years, it also has useful chapters for all university students, 'A toolkit for learning' and 'A toolkit for academic writing' offers good ideas and advice on how to improve your work and become 'The Smarter Student', highly recommended, I'd give it a First.
on 10 February 2007
The Smarter student covers every possible aspect of university life and study skills in a incredibly organised way, so things are easy to find. It also contains more tips than your average study skills book and has helped me immensely. I would definitely recommend it
on 3 December 2014
It's slightly on the large side to sit down and read, especially if you don't have the time to (like myself - 2nd year uni student). Wish I'd have bought this before starting my 1st year, but oh well. I'd suggest you buy it just before Summer or Christmas holidays - that way you can have enough time to read through it all properly. But it's still very helpful (if only they'd concise it down so you could take it around with you!)
on 29 April 2008
Never been a big fan of study skills books due to them always being complicated. i am currently in my second year doing social work found this guide really helpfull found that many issues i had when doin essays seemed to be exolained within this book would recommend it to nay student starting uni or currently at uni as it relates to many different subjects really good :D
on 11 May 2013
This book was new in the Hospital Library on first glance I realised how useful it was therefore I purchased it. You would not be disappointed with it.is clear and easy to use and would be a valuable to asset to anyone studying or thinking about doing so.

It arrived quickly and in brilliant condition - thank you
on 3 March 2011
This should be retitled Smarter University Skills Companion.

It takes you from choosing the right Uni for you, right through to getting a job at the end of it. It is set up for someone actually attending University but does contain some chapters of Study Skills, which is somewhat disappointing as the title is somewhat misleading.

If you want a indepth guide to preparing for Uni life then this is the book for you but if you want a book full of study skills this isnt it.

It is set out like a textbook which may put off some.
on 16 April 2007
I definutly recommend this book, as i have just completed an essay for university and this particular book was extremely helpful.

A big thanks to the author Kathleen McMillan