5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you a smarter student!
Published on 24 Aug 2007 by J. Pinnock

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Help
This has some key ideas and is a great help to me as I'm just starting 1st year or university.
Published 14 months ago by Caitlin Fowlie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you a smarter student!, 24 Aug 2007
J. Pinnock "Jessica" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
I really struggled through the first four or five months at university. I really had no concept of how to handle all of the pressure from university, let alone manage to attend all of it. This book was recommended to me by a friend and I haven't looked back since. I started using it straight away and in one module where I thought I would fail, I actually achieved a good grade.

This book is there for people just to dip in when they need a bit of help or guidence or you can read it cover to cover and become the ultimate fighting student (fighting on the academic battlefield of course)! It covers how to survive Fresher's Week - trust me when I say it's absolutely essential - I wish I'd had the book when I went to my Fresher's Week. But it covers a lot of ground in helping to understand your strengths when it comes to studying, where you might fall down and what you excel in. This book helps you make the most of your strengths and helps you to adjust your habits and practices on your weaknesses.

More than that, this book is written in such a way that you don't feel like an author is trying to hold your hand through university. It makes you feel like you've made all of the decisions and that you have supported yourself, perhaps with just a little guidence. It lets you stand on your own two feet.

I think this book is written for people who DON'T like skills guides with drawings and illustrations to photocopy. This book tells it like it is and expects you to do the best for yourself. I would recommend this book to everyone starting university for the first time, I would also recommend it to people who are at university and want to improve.

I've been through so many study guides and so many different formats but this book is the best there is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some thoughts..., 22 Nov 2006
Sarah Scott - See all my reviews
I'm in my 2nd year of study at university and I was sceptical of how much benefit I could get from a study skills text. The wide range of topics included in The Smarter Student though means that every aspect of university is covered and there were loads of tips that I wouldn't have thought of before. My tip to other students is to have this book on their desk and use it - this book has been a great help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Student Review, 2 Jan 2007
R. J. Kelly - See all my reviews
I'm a geography student in my second year at University and am impressed with the range of content that The Smarter Student provides. The sections on essay writing and revision are particularly useful. Having used the book for recent essays, it has definately been a great help and will be used for future revision and assignments

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Smart, 14 Aug 2007
This is a fantastic book, and would be a great benefit to anyone looking towards their first year at university. The book gives an excellent introduction to 'What university involves' giving tips on how to prepare for university and most important, details on what makes university education different. Although I would recommend this book for first years, it also has useful chapters for all university students, 'A toolkit for learning' and 'A toolkit for academic writing' offers good ideas and advice on how to improve your work and become 'The Smarter Student', highly recommended, I'd give it a First.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 10 Feb 2007
D. K. Kochhar - See all my reviews
The Smarter student covers every possible aspect of university life and study skills in a incredibly organised way, so things are easy to find. It also contains more tips than your average study skills book and has helped me immensely. I would definitely recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter Student: Study Skills & Strategies for Success at University, 29 April 2008
A. Murphy "Siobhan" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Never been a big fan of study skills books due to them always being complicated. i am currently in my second year doing social work found this guide really helpfull found that many issues i had when doin essays seemed to be exolained within this book would recommend it to nay student starting uni or currently at uni as it relates to many different subjects really good :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter Study Skills, 3 Mar 2011
This should be retitled Smarter University Skills Companion.

It takes you from choosing the right Uni for you, right through to getting a job at the end of it. It is set up for someone actually attending University but does contain some chapters of Study Skills, which is somewhat disappointing as the title is somewhat misleading.

If you want a indepth guide to preparing for Uni life then this is the book for you but if you want a book full of study skills this isnt it.

It is set out like a textbook which may put off some.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing for academic Student suvrival, 25 Aug 2010
love this book. it made me feel so much less stressed when preparing to start uni. and it has helpfull info for once I get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all students - get this book!, 27 Nov 2008
Just to reinforce what the other reviewers have said - this book really will be a godsend to you during your time at university.
The layout is very user-friendly - you can dip in and out of the chapters, just reading what you need and you will get thorough, well-written advice; giving details on all aspects of university life, from preparing for life at uni to planning your career at the end of your degree.
Even if you think your study skills are already up to scratch, this book will most likely give you a new insight into what type of student you are and how to use that knowledge to achieve the best possible grades.
It's like my bible now - I'm so glad I bought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Help, 16 April 2007
Ms. H. Ogilvie (Dundee) - See all my reviews
I definutly recommend this book, as i have just completed an essay for university and this particular book was extremely helpful.

A big thanks to the author Kathleen McMillan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Study Skills Book (Smarter Study Skills)
The Study Skills Book (Smarter Study Skills) by Dr Jonathan Weyers (Paperback - 9 Aug 2012)