Published 21 months ago by Neil Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars It's trite, irritating, drivel so save your money.
I love books and I love reading so it'a rare event for me to buy a book that I feel was simply money wasted but that's how I felt with this one.

The content of the book seems to be aimed at an audience with a reading age of about 5 as are the supposedly humourous illustrations.

By the end of the book, I was left wondering where all the ways of...
Published 14 months ago by K. Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars James Bannerman, Genius: Deceptively simple ways to become instantly smarter, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Genius!: Deceptively Simple Ways to Become Instantly Smarter (Paperback)
Deceptively simple indeed, Bannerman's little book seems at first to have pre-digested smart thinking for us, and simply spoons an endless supply of bite size ideas into a grateful and increasingly open mouth. But the end result is not only less simple (the mind has been given a really demanding work-out) but genuinely creative. Bannerman's manner is easy, amusing, charmingly self-aware and he has the gift of encapsulating ideas in a very few words and, delightfully, in scores of clever mini-cartoons. He starts out giving a guided tour of a highly concentrated (but persuasively organised) storehouse of examples of brilliant, innovative ideas which have impacted, directly or indirectly, on our everyday life. Halfway through, however, his book suddenly morphs into a manual of creative thinking in business. This comes as a bit of a surprise, since a would-be purchaser is nowhere encouraged to understand that this is the kind of book on offer. However, while the reader who might be looking for such a book may therefore miss it, the general reader like myself loses no interest in the argument that occupies that second half. Indeed, over the book as a whole, Bannerman succeeds in providing much more than interest and amusement. His seemingly endless supply of lateral thoughts has the cumulative effect of generating the belief that I can solve most problems old and new if I only adjust my mindset to tackle them in a creative way. Bannerman doles out smart advice like confetti, and, while his generosity doesn't extend to giving the book away for free (he works pro de Bono more than pro bono), I am extremely grateful to him for his ideas, and intend to make free with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's trite, irritating, drivel so save your money., 23 Feb 2013
K. Alexander "rfdesign" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews

By the end of the book, I was left wondering where all the ways of becoming instantly smarter had been; certainly not in the author's endless stream of trite, irritating drivel that I threw good money away on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Genius?, 18 Mar 2014
I've only read the first few chapters of the book at this point, so I'm still sitting on the fence about how useful this book will be. However, I've already lost a bit of confidence in it's ability to turn me into a genius: the author seems to be convinced that Dostoyevsky wrote War and Peace, when it was Tolstoy.
Maybe I'm being picky, but wouldn't a genius have at least looked it up?

4.0 out of 5 stars Different way of thinking, 19 Oct 2013
I think everybody can get benefit from this book. I quite like it. It is all about how to materialized things you already posses.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awful, 7 Aug 2012
Drivel. I read a lot -- good books, a few not so good, and some bad -- but this? I have never felt so cross as to be moved to write a negative review before because generally I think that life's just too short to dwell on negative thoughts, but I simply couldn't bear this. The irony that a book purporting to help people have genius ideas should be so irritatingly simplistic and written in such a puerile tone of voice is unbelievable. Want a genius idea? Read something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on how to be creative, 15 Mar 2013
Genius is not only an enjoyable read but provides the reader with a broad range of proven techniques to stimulate and revitalise creative thinking. It's a reference book that should be part of anyone's toolkit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational, easy to understand & a fantastic reference book, 7 Mar 2013
Genius is a book centered for those who don't have 10 hours to spare in the library, focusing on lateral thinking and cognitive psychology.

Pros: Genius is an easy to read, compact book, full of quality and relevant examples; perfect for those that don't want to start reading a 500 page psychology and creativity book.

Cons: Would be nicer if there were more example but this is a minor point considering the small size of the book (quality is always better than quantity).
(This is not a novel, which some of the other reviewers seemed to have thought, which is harsh and unfair).

This book is also fantastic as a reference book, and as mentioned above, after reading this I had a better understanding of terminologies and academic jargon; it gets straight to the point.

Only an author who can truly think creatively and `think outside the box' could have written this in an easy to understand way, talk about lateral thinking!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book I wish I'd written!, 24 Oct 2012
I have been running workshops using and training facilitation skills and creativity for the last 20 years. My colleagues have been telling me to write a book for years - thanks to James Bannerman I no longer have to! Though I am a tad green, as I think it is a brilliantly clear, engaging and very cleverly structured and I never could have managed those cartoons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius - an intuitive collection of ideas to make you smarter, 21 Oct 2012
g m sharpe (Ipswich, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I met James at a learning conference - his presentation was bright, smart and very enlightening. I bought his book Genius on the strength of his presentation and its intuitive style/approach make the reader quickly able to use his suggestions in everyday situations. A toolkit of quick creative solutions and references to tackle both work and personal challenges.
I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradigm Shifts, 19 Sep 2012
Especially as I hit my mid forties I realise that such is the way of the world that we all need to change our viewpoints every now and then. This is an excellent self help book that uses great little anecdotes, drawings and personal experience to illustrate ways of thinking round issues, problems and challenges. there are many books on business thinking, laterally, vertically, outside boxes, inside globes, etc. As any would appreciate you can read all of them and they will all offer a different approach or advice process.

Gen!us is charming and easy to use. The clue is in the title 'deceptively simple'. Its not trying to be high brow but whether you read it cover to cover as I did or dip in occasionally as my wife does, it offers golden nuggets of help. It won't change my life but it will help me approach things differently, especially when I've run out of ideas. i hope that Mr Bannerman writes more as I suspect he has the capacity of aiming books at all levels to please all types. For the time being accept that this book does what it says and may help even you manage a conversation, meeting or a business a little bit smarter.

ARRAY(0xb13b69c0)

Genius!: Deceptively Simple Ways to Become Instantly Smarter
Genius!: Deceptively Simple Ways to Become Instantly Smarter by James Bannerman (Paperback - 15 May 2012)
7.69