on 28 June 2013
I ma a big fan of this book. I have had it for several yeas now and have read it multiple times.

The books starts with a section on "you" and how your own goals, personality and morals impact on your ability to communicate and sell. It then goes onto talk about "process and planning" which to many readers may seem like common sense but it was always a weak point of mine. There is a good section on prospecting (efficiently) too.

A recurring theme throughout this book is the need to continuously seek feedback but also to really self-assess. Always review what you have done right, done wrong and what could you have done better. This really is the key to improving your ability - in any area i guess, not just sales.

For me, it is all a bit like spinning plates - you maybe do three or four things well but in focusing on these areas you maybe neglect one or two other areas. In doing so those "plates" begin to wobble or drop until you address them but maybe then neglect other things you had previously being doing well - but having this book to refer to keeps all stages of the sales process fresh and relevant.

Be honest with yourself (and the customer), know your product / industry inside out and keep this book close to hand for ready reference.

It is very thorough, gives great examples and tips the whole way through.
on 20 December 2009
I have read a number of sales books over the years, and when I decided to purchase this one, I must admit I wondered if the bookshelf needed another one to collect dust !! The answer is NO, this book is simply written, simply stated and easy to refer back to. There are some areas that I probably wont need to use/consider, but the authors make it clear, the whole idea of the book is to use what parts are relevant to your level of know how, and help build on that.

I also found the questions at the end of the chapters to be very useful in determining what I thought of my abilities, aspirations and methods. I really have found the book a real gem.

My congrats to both Jeremy and Tom, guys you have not made this book pretentious or part of some major complex matrix of further enlightment, you have simply written a book that sales people need to know, do and say !! Thanks, Alan Wellington, New Zealand.
on 14 April 2015
Okay, I hesitated between 4 and 5 stars.

Here's the good stuff: it's very readable, has frequent 'stopping points' to review what you've learned or reflect on how you would apply it, and contains plenty of 'listables' enabling you to build a check-list for immediate daily use. For me, it's more a resource I go to when I need to brush up on something; but to get to that state I had to read it cover to cover and make notes on where to find the best stuff for me.

It's also people-oriented in a way that is helpful for building relationships, and which ought to be a foundation for success, but you'll want to read something like Cialdini's "Influence", too, just to get a handle on some of the science behind it.

So, where did that fifth star go?

The book felt as if it had been constructed in chunks. You need to read it through from start to end, but doing that feels harder than it really should be because of the way it's constructed. It's almost as if you need a separate book to tell you how to read the book depending on what you want to achieve.

However, if you take the time to become familiar with it, and make notes of where the best bits are for your own situation, this is one of the few books on sales that you'll be going back to time and time again.

And for that, it's Brilliant.
on 30 April 2010
Excellenet book on sales. Perfect for those looking to upgrade their technics.
The book is mainly focused on how to get youself together, bettering your sales processes in order to get the best of it. I recomend it!
on 6 November 2009
Very often I find business books to be either 'light weight,' offering nothing but regurgitated content, or, mind numbingly boring, with long and over detailed explanations of the most simple concepts.

Thankfully this book is neither - in fact it hits the mark perfectly, with a blend of core foundations that are well explained, and stretching concepts that will be new to many sales people.

The book opens with a chapter on how your mentality / personality / current mindset and other factors can impact your success. This is so important, yet so often over looked - buy this book, read only this chapter and take some action (the key bit) and you will have got more benefit than 99% of sales training courses will offer you.

One of the core principles covered in later chapter is that of giving and establishing an environment for reciprocity. The authors have put their principles into action and give more great content with planning, influencing, understanding your buyer, presenting solutions and developing customers all covered in later chapters.

A nice feature of the way the book has been written are the 'brilliant re-caps' at the end of each section and the exercises throughout to get you working right away on the right things for you. In this way it is almost a 'training manual' rather than a book and the page markers, scribbles in the margin and folded pages of my copy certainly reflect this.

In summary, all that you need to ramp up your selling skills - skills that we are use in someway in our lives, whether our job title is 'Sales' or not.

Can you really afford not to invest in yourself in this area?
on 9 February 2011
This book is one of the most effective and easy to use selling tools I have come across. Having been in involved in selling for nealy 30 years, either directly, managing sales teams or indirectly from a marketing perspective plus developing training courses, I am not easily impressed. The number of books on this subject is endless and many just trot out the same old mantras. A lot of thought has been put into this book to make it easy to read and enjoyable which is an excellent change. It is not just technique and technical formulas but fully gets inside the mind of the seller and buyer with a focus on latent needs. For that reason the method it uses is intuitive and very easy to follow, making it enjoyable to learn. It breaks down the learning into bite size chunks and delivers them in such a way they are quickly retained by the reader. The holistic nature of the material enables it to be used by an individual for self teaching or as the basis for a trainer or good sales manager who wanted to coach his team and improve their effectivness. It deals with the powerful use of questions in selling in a way that really gets the point across. Plus it deals well with the mentality of the sellers attitude and approach to the customer which is often missed out and assumed by other such works. The coaching nature of this publication puts it above many other available and makes it refreshing. I would recomend it to those starting out in selling for the first time as an easy read to get your sales technique to a high level fast. Plus it is excellent for those who have been selling for some time or are wanting to move on to managing a sales team as the way this is laid out allows you to use a section at a time when you met with your team to coach in effective methods. Jeremy and Tom have produce a first class book that will stand the test of time and will become a reference book of the future by any top sales person which you can dip into over and over again.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2009
What the best salespeople know, do and say.

Everyone does some selling, that is unless their works comes in naturally and they are paid a wage whether they turn up to work or not.

It is interesting that the public service professions who never had to justify their position are now all suffering from stress since they have targets whereas those of us in the private sector have always had to sell ourselves.

If all the work I wanted to have came in with me not having to try I would make a lot of money indeed. Unfortunately like all of those in private enterprise I have so spend some of my time selling even if it is only taking calls and convincing clients to do business with me. It is all selling even though it is not cold calling

Unfortunately salesmen have had a poor reputation in this country. In a recent expose by Panorama they revealed that flight attendants on Ryanair actually got paid a commission on the number of sandwiches they sold.

Hardly a revelation but they must employ at least some basic selling techniques. I would love that selling opportunity as at least you have a captive audience and all you have to do is be nice to them and they will take the sandwiches. We buy a lot on the personality of the salesman.

The book is broken down in to, you .which is the salesman, process and planning, the power of influence , understanding buyers and prospects.

Part 5 and Part 6 in my view are the most important

Presenting solutions that is you go to the purchaser of your services or product and persuade them they need you and close the deal and get commitment.

Where it goes wrong from there is part 6 Developing customers. It is valuing the customer and the relationship. You have to be proactive with the customer and keep in touch with them. You have to treat them as a human being and as a result you will give more contacts and customers.

The best salesman do things like send newsletters, have meetings, have a drink occasionally, send them a birthday card

All this will improve the relationship and they will treat you as a friend rather than someone who they just do business with occasionally.

It works and most people don't do it. I bought a car recently and the car was OK the service was fine but the salesmen gave me some bull so I complained but they totally ignored my complaints.I will not do business with them again even though they send me newsletters. I have even written to them telling them not to contact me and they make no attempt to make amends. All they have to do is apologise and I will reconsider because the car is fine.

Why do they do that? I have no idea.

If you don't know this stuff you should be reading this book and doing it. As a result I will be giving a copy to my next employee who I expect to make a lot of sales and we will be following it to the letter.

This is a five star book. Pity very few people in British industry will either read it or take note of what it says. Is there any wonder we have such a poor economy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 January 2011
If you want an absolutely brilliant book for learning about how to sell effectively then this is it!

The best thing about the book is that it is written by proven sales professionals, who remember well what it is like to face some of those tricky challenges that arise from every day customer relationships. Accessible and well laid out, I was surprised what an easy read `Brilliant Selling' actually was compared to the majority of business reference books. It is very engaging, and eases you into all the different aspects of being able to sell effectively irrespective of what is being sold and to whom.

It covers a wide variety of topics including the personality traits of a good sales person, managing the sales process, understanding your customer wants and desires, influencing customers through developing credibility and rapport, preparing business winning proposals and successful negotiation and closing techniques. These subject areas are stripped bare and treated in an easy to understand jargon free way with amusing anecdotes and cartoon illustrations for reinforcement.

The beauty of this book is that it does not need to be read from cover to cover and can be dipped into as a trusted source of reference to help you through those tricky real life dilemmas that we all face as sales professionals. Well worth a look.
on 17 April 2015
I have read many sales books and this is really useful in that not only is it interesting to read but it is full of practical real life examples. The way the sections are laid out in terms of tips and exercise and war stories make it interesting to read. I like the fact that you don't feel as if you are reading an academic book but more of an entertainment - edutainment - which is the best way to learn these days. I like the style it as if I am having a non threatening conversation with the sales coach - the style is as important as the content. I also like the fadct there is something useful in the book for everybody
on 2 April 2015
If you're looking for a book that covers all aspects of Sales, whether you are a Newbie (as I was) or even an experienced Sales person, then this is the book for you. I've read a number of books that only tend to cover certain aspects of Sales and they all left me with unanswered questions, but am so thankful I came across this one. It finally all came together in a brilliant (sorry, no pun intended) "Aha!" moment and from that moment on, I started to get the results I was looking for.

I've read it a few times and will continue to do so - Highly commended, and recommended!