Published on 26 Feb. 2012 by Stuart C. Palmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but over-rated.
A very drawn out book containing lots of (brief) information about strategy.

A particularly useful reference for business students and those who do not know much about strategy, how it is developed and implemented, etc. However, I felt the book did not sufficiently emphasise the link between, vision, mission and goals. After all, strategy is about what you...
Published on 6 July 2013 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts the CR*P & demystifies strategy - what else do you want?, 26 Feb. 2012
Stuart C. Palmer "Malawi Man" (Blantyre, Malawi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
Max saw my review of another strategy book and sent me a proof of this one. I am a coal face executive based in a developing country, Malawi, where I run a hospital and this book is gold dust. Managers have a reputation for not reading books and if they do, not using what they learn. This book makes it hard to do that. It is well laid out, builds up the ideas simply, but with strong intellectual underpinnings, good stories and practical implementation ideas. Sometimes even the very word "strategic" becomes so shrouded in mystique that you dare not approach it. Max says it like it is, "great strategy is the quickest route from means to ends to shape your future". Your quickest route is to buy this book. And no, I am not on commission!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for students of strategy and professional alike, 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
A very well written book in Max's own unique style. I teach strategy at a UK university at both undergraduate and post graduate levels and I have to honestly say that this book is among the few I really liked. It presents some of the ideas in a succinct and well structured way which makes it easy to read and understand.
Max asks some really critical questions which I think would benefit managers/ professionals in analysing the current situation their organisations are in and to determine their future direction. I have listed this book as a recommended reading for my students.

5.0 out of 5 stars good and concise strategy book, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
This is a good and concise strategy book. It explains many of the mainstream strategy frameworks in an approachable manner. A definite buy for strategy first timers.

5.0 out of 5 stars What strategy is, and how to do it, 11 April 2012
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
I hunted for a book like this about ten years ago in my first senior management role when I was tasked to 'do strategy', but no-one could tell me what strategy was, or how to do it. Strategy Safari was great at telling me what strategy was, but I've spent ten years turning what I learned into a workable process. Mckeown's book explains what strategy is and then explains how to make it work. I loved his powerful insights into various strategy tools. I've seen consultants pitch up with these at meetings and (even when inappropriate) have bamboozled execs with them because the executives had never seen those particular ones before.

Recommended reading for all leaders and students. It really is exceptionally useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god for such a useful toolkit, 17 Dec. 2011
Kristin "I read so I don't kill people!" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
I am a die hard geek, but being a manager am supposed to be able to talk strategically to other managers, most of whom are very people biased, it being a local authority. This book finally gives me all the bits they keep throwing up in such a clear manner that you can see not only which methods are senior managements favourites, but learn to then generate your own strategies inline with their thinking and preferences, or just come up with something else totally new.

This is more a toolkit than motivational book, which so many are. If you know your stuff, but just dont know how to put that into mangement talk to form a strategy, or if you know some ways of doing strategy and want to ensure you are using the best one for you then this book is incredibly good. It takes you from start to finish, succinctly explaining every possible route to take. A brilliant book well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Strategy, 15 April 2012
Glen Malan - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
I received my copy from Amazon and unboxed it, took a brief look at the book and realized this was no ordinary "strategy book". It is more like a cookbook than a text book with every chapter covering a major theme on strategy but sectioned into: Objective, Context, Challenge, Success, Pitfalls, A checklist and other references.

McKeown simply defines the method for coming up with Strategy as: What do we want to do; What doe we think is possible; What do we need to do to active our goals; When should we react to new opportunities and adapt plans and how do we measure the progress. I actually started chuckling when I read the chapter called "Your Strategic Self". One of the main points in the chapter covers the notion of "Thinking before you plan" - a real world idea! I chuckled because so many "strategists" think they can read Michael Porters 3 volumes and be a strategy expert and more than once in my career I've dealt with the a theoretical strategy that has been foisted upon me only to end up seeing white rabbits and watching someone repeatedly command the ocean to go backwards.

That is the brilliance of this book - it's down to earth, methodical and attacks the theoretical aspects of strategy all at the same time. As evidence of this for example one of the chapters is "Creating your strategy" and it is followed by "Making your Strategy Work". Finally the jewell at the end of the book is the "Strategists Toolkit" in which the author has selected some of the most popular ideas from the field of strategy and management. McKeown discusses each tool providing a summary of the tools and then he explains how the tool should be used correctly.

Overall the authors writing style is very clear, to the point and ultimately the book is readable. A brilliantly practical book on a complex subject - I will be ordering copies for colleagues and friends to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and plain strategy for everyone. Clever and straight forward, 15 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
For ages, the corporate strategy process has been kept obscure and unreachable for those without a seat in the board room. Max Mckeown depicts all about strategy planning and implementation in a book that clearly deserves the title it holds. Succinct and revealing. By following this book you will be doing strategy from your day to day activities considering all other aspects of the competitive era we all live in. You will come back to it several times to take advantage of such revealing information. It will serve as the perfect bridge between high level strategic planning and real implementation. Did I say bridge? it is a high speed highway.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent new style strategy book, 16 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
An excellent book with a new style of talking about strategy. Usually most strategy books focus on concepts and frameworks. Max guides the strategist in a very simple way in every step of the strategy process, with examples and lessons learned from real world. He points to relevant points from the field as "Reacting is as important as planning" or "Strategic thinking is underappreciated in time of stability". We live these situations in real life. I am happy to see these examples in a strategy book. I felt, while I am reading through, as my own experience is written in this book.

Joseph Soueidi, COO Ateme

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource, 16 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
I was fortunate enough to be sent a pre-release review copy of this book to read. I found it really enagaging and easy to understand and it presents a subject that is often mystified in a very practical way. It is full of useful tips on how to approach strategy development and, in line with Max's other interests on innovation, it presents some interesting and thought provoking ideas to get you thinking about strategy in a creative way. I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone involved in developing stratgey for their organisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and practical, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Strategy Book (Paperback)
This is the ultimate user guide to all things strategy. From defining strategy, developing the skills of a strategist, to developing your strategy, and achieving your strategic objectives, this book covers all aspects of strategy in a consistent and easy to read format. It incorporates pointers and tools that the reader can use to hone in on their strategic skills and strategic thinking, allowing them to immediately engage in strategy related activities. To round things off, this book also contains a toolkit at the end that summarises of all the most widely known strategy tools and concepts, as well as how they can be used in practice.

For a succinct guide to doing anything strategy related, look no further as Max's Strategy Book will give you all that you need.

The Strategy Book
The Strategy Book by Max Mckeown (Paperback - 2012)