5.0 out of 5 stars Unconvential, yet very useful.
Published on 27 Feb 2003 by G. Avvinti

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre work
Published on 14 May 2009 by Mr. M. A. Tedone

5.0 out of 5 stars Unconvential, yet very useful., 27 Feb 2003
G. Avvinti (Sicily, Italy) - See all my reviews
I liked this book's organization. I have also Tanenbaum's and Silberschatz's; what I concluded it's that this book, even if sometime appeared to be a bit ... compacted on some "traditional" issues (if I can judge them this way on the basis of the other two books, but processes' statuses are covered here better than anywhere else), it has given space to some other very interesting ones, starting from Security, and going on with SMP topics.
I particularly enjoyed the view it adopted even on common topics. E.g. the emphasis it gave to subtleties like distinguish the nature of the four requirements for deadlocks, the classification of various policies and mechanism (in a astonishingly efficient way) for topics like scheduling, paged memory issues or the importance of interrupts as The tool for modern techniques and achievements.
And ... the chapter on security has been a lifesave for me on the last days of the course.
Keep this book near to Tanenbaum's second edition of "Modern Operatin System" if you can, and you'll have plenty of good material for a typical OS course.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-presented text, with superb material, 28 April 2001
I bought this book for my first year Operating Systems course at University, and in my opinion it is one of the best books I have invested in. Stallings presents the material well, with numerous examples on advanced topics such as Semaphores, and provides the reader with up-to-date material on both Windows 2000 and Linux. Stallings has done it again - this book is superb!

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre work, 14 May 2009
Except from the chapters on Memory Management and the appendix on the disk hardware, I believe that this book is mediocre. I also bought Tanenbaum's "Modern Operating Systems" and there is no comparison between the two. Stallings has a way of explaining concepts which is ways too cryptic; he doesn't explain the details there where these are most needed and he loses himself in areas which, on a theoretical course on OS, aren't of particular interest.

Believe me, I've been studying OS hard since I'm completing a MSc in Computer Science; I learnt all I needed to know on Tanenbaum's while I fell asleep while reading Stallings' asking all the while: ok, what's your point? With Tanenbaum's it was all the time: Ah, is this how it works! Fantastic! I'm having fun reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book.., 3 Mar 2010
this is an excellent book, very clear .

perhaps my favourite book used of any course when I was at uni..

no waffle at all, not diluted or wishy washy

nice when looking at it as a reference, or for explanations.

I didn't like his computer systems book. But I liked this operating systems book, it was great, and chapters were on good interesting important topics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to understand, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles (Paperback)
Its a bit hard to understand some parts of the book . I don't recommend this book for beginners .

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 13 Oct 2013
Everything was well explained, without being too verbose; the harder a concept was, the more it was written about it. Nice splitting into chapters, nice choice of ordering the contents. Most of the concepts are still in use, although the book is quite old. It might look big and scary, but it is impossible to explain the basics of operating systems in a smaller book.

5.0 out of 5 stars complete and clear, 12 Nov 2011
I was looking for a text-book for my oral exam of the Operating Systems course, this one has been complete and clear, exactly what I needed :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Only if you must., 20 Oct 2009
Along the lines of my review of the Internal Designs and Principles book Stallings is only useful if you Uni course follows it closely. Otherwise look elswhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Book is incredibly waffley and limited, dont buy it!, 6 Aug 2001
I brought this book as a recommendation from a University lecturer. However like all his other books its filled with endless amounts of waffle with few diagrams to explain whats being said. I also found it very limited in content. For instance i was required to answer a question on virtual memory addresses only to find a three line explanation!
The problem is anything you need to know is either not included in the book or its written in such away it leaves you dangling, thinking "are we talking about the same thing here?" or "where did that come from?" etc. This is especially true for this book as it seems to over stretched its self by containg a little about a lot, which is a shame...
Oh for any one interested i'm doing a BSC Multimedia Computing (so u know not too buy it if your doing the same corse as me!)

ARRAY(0xad0de384)

Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles
Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles by William Stallings (Paperback - 19 May 2011)
56.99