5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guidance and advice, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Persuasive Writing: How to Harness the Power of Words (Paperback)
This book was easy to read and actually enjoyable! I found that the concise examples made the theory clear. The author gets to the point quickly and in an entertaining way. This is a book you can use as a 'manual' when writing - referring to the sections you need.
I work in education and have used the books advice many times already and it has given me an insight to writing that I had not had before.
I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 7 Oct. 2011
As someone who writes bids for a living, I'm constantly looking for new ways to make my writing more persuasive and compelling. This book is the best I've read on this subject and I'm finding myself referring to it again and again when preparing bids. I highly recommend it to anyone who is in the business of selling ideas through words.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that explains the 'why' as well as the 'how', 3 Jun. 2011
Almost all of us write things at work and, most of the time, it is to persuade someone else to do something for us. In my job, this may be getting work from a team-member, persuading someone to join a partnership or winning work via a bidding process. Where this book differs from other business writing books is it understands why I am writing and explains why I should write a different way. As a result, I spend more time planning how I should write to get the result I want, rather than creating a pretty but ineffective document.

This book is crammed with useful advice and examples. One of the things I love about it is how quickly it gets to the point - it takes one page to concisely explain a point rather than dragging it out for a whole chapter. As such, it fits in almost everything you could want to know about persuading people in text.

If you write, read this book; it will improve your persuasiveness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Persuasive Writing, 28 Aug. 2012
A good read.

While I've been writing (as a journalist and a PR professional) for almost 20 years, I think it's good to review and refresh your skills.

This book is well written and in a style that makes it easy to read and understand.

Much of the advice is spot on and often makes common sense. There are some tricks in there that the professional writer uses and which everyone can use when writing something as seemingly simple as an email.

I think if you buy this book, you'll read it through, learn a lot and then refer back to it (like a reference book) when you're trying to remember how to do something.

Can recommend.

WS

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you write for work, 2 Jun. 2011
I bought this book to help with writing my MA. It was not only great for this but I have used many of the principles in writing reports for work. It is easy to read, contains practical advice and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Nonsense Approach, 7 Jun. 2011
This is a really clear no nonsense approach to what is often presented as a complicated subject. The book is written in such a way that it will guide the new writer through the process in a step by step fashion, building the necessary skills you need with each section. But what I also like is that each chapter can be used by more experienced writers as a stand alone guide. So you just home in on the skill you need to brush up and use that rather than the whole book. The tone is just right, with a combination of humour and carefully thought-out, intelligent advice for the user. It's a very helpful guide for the beginner and the more experienced writer and the fact that it's written by someone in the front line of bid writing is a great endorsement.

Persuasive Writing: How to Harness the Power of Words
Persuasive Writing: How to Harness the Power of Words by Peter Frederick (Paperback - 3 Mar. 2011)