on 3 February 2008
I disagree with the other reviews. It's title says it all. The book covered a four week segment of an on-line course I am doing. To me it covers all of the areas in an informative and understandable way. It is not intended to be a bookeepers bible therefore does not go into detail of "T" accounts. Combined with good teaching, research and discussion it will certainly enable non-accountants to get a grasp of the subjects of accounting and finance.
on 21 February 2013
I bought this book as a mandatory text book for my MBA and, although it doesn't deserve a bad review, it is difficult to give it a very good one either.

Firstly, it has to be said it's probably difficult to write an interesting book about accounting - the subject matter is, by definition, quite dry. But I don't feel the authors really make much of an effort to make it more interesting or upbeat.

Saying that, the material covered is wide and goes into some depth, on both financial and management accouting, with roughly half the book dedicated to each. On a few occasions, I really found myself struggling to keep up with the examples. It wasn't just the content, but they often seem to make some jumps from one figure to another without explaining why they are actually doing it, I found myself often flipping between two or three pages to follow what they had said. When I finally gave up and referred to my tutor, the thing that had kept me banging my head against the desk was very simple, and it turned out it was just badly explained. They also have a very annoying habit of referring to a "car" as a "motor car" and this just kind of adds to an "old school" feel for the book.

Often, I found myself reading the introductions to the concepts but then getting alternative explanations from the internet. The concepts are not that hard once you get a feel for them, and I think overall the book could make more of an effort to connect with the reader, and I again get an impression of a stuffy school teacher stuck in the 60s.

But once you get past the niggles, which I appreciate are just subjective - the book covers a wide range of topics, with many many questions at the end of each chapter to test your knowledge. I am glad to be through with the book, but it is a very useful core text, just don't read it on its own - I found the FT Prentice Hall series of Key Ratios a very natural, although unintended, companion to this one.

Saying that, I can't imagine anyone would read this book other than if it were prescribed as a core text so sometimes you just gotta get through it ...
on 25 December 2012
This book provides an excellent introduction to accounting and finance for non specialist, especially business or law students undertaking a finance module as a non major. This book was perfect as an introduction to finance for my Exec MBA programme, with an excellent chapter on Analysing and Interpreting Financial Statements, covering all the key ratio's required for the investment analysis of a companies financial statements in the retail or manufacturing sectors.

The chapters on Cost-Volume Profit Analysis, and Making Capital Investment Decisions provide a good framework for non finance managers and executives appraising projects and major capital investment programmes.

The exercises throughout each chapter and review questions and answers at the end of each chapter allow the reader to quickly get to grips with each topic, whilst the further reading lists provide direction to a more advanced coverage of the topics if required.

Overall, a must read for non financers working in middle management involved in financial decision making, and non accounting undergrads and MBA's taking an accounting & finance module as part of their degree programme.
on 9 November 2012
This was the essential text for my Managerial Finance module of my first year at university. I have to say that I'm not disappointed.
The explanations are simple throughout, and review questions and exercises really help with understanding all the concepts and, with answers placed in an appendix at the back, ensures you can mach your responses to what is actually correct. So far in my course, this has been more useful to me than the actual lectures, which are twice as long as the seminars we use this book in!
Even for people just generally interested in accounting, who aren't doing a module for it at university or college or anything of the sort, this is definitely a good place to start. The membership for MyAccountingLab is also useful - its online tests for each chapter give you immediate feedback and useful explanations for you right or wrong answers.

An good, easy to understand essential textbook for anyone starting out in studying finance.
on 16 September 2007
Ignore everything everyone else has said about this book. The title says that the target audience are non-specialists and as a non-specialist this book gave me a fantastic introduction to accounting and finance. The authors live up perfectly to their task and give enough detail for a beginner like me to get a good grounding in accounting and finance. Their writing style is uncomplicated (very easy to follow). At the end of each section I felt that I have gained in understanding the subject. Other books which I will acquire afterwards will give more detail and be more in-depth. This book can be judged by its cover and I recommend it highly to non-specialists, especially beginners.
on 23 May 2005
Would not recommend this book to non-specialists looking for an overview of Accounting & Finance. It is a tedious read and the examples are unclear, split across pages and jump from one stage to the next without proper explanation. Not a very helpful book at all.
on 3 March 2004
Having recently completed a six month accountancy course, with this book as the primary text I can only recommend it to those with no prior grounding in the subject and studying at a very basic level.
It provides the very basics required to compile cash flows, profit and loss accounts and vertical balance sheets but is not sufficiently in depth to be of major use in the analysis of real world company financial statements or indeed to create ones own.
It would benefit greatly by expanding into the use of T-accounts, double entries and more thorough consideration of the horizontal balance sheet method.
That said it is saved from being a two star book by merit of a good chapter on the basics of investment appraisal and some excellent worked examples.
Overall rather dry and recommended only to those with no prior experience.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2011
this book is great, with the Accounts lab that you can sign into, makes the learning easier as there are plenty of questions. The review at the end of each chapter is comprehensive along with the excerises so you can check if you have learn't it. I don't like and am no good at accounts at all but have managed to read and understand this book which is a surprise
on 12 November 2013
I bought this book as a required course literature. I would say it's pretty good if you have no background knowledge. The writers exhibit clear ideas and good reasoning. But it is indeed, as indicated in the name, for non-specialists because the content is quite shallow.
on 25 February 2013
My background is IT and I had to study accounting during my MBA course. I was a bit afraid of the overall process in general, it proved to be much simpler that I thought. The book is a great start and I really liked the simple and concise examples.