5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate Biological Psychology Makes Learning a Pleasure!, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Biological Psychology Plus Access Card for Gradetracker Website (Paperback)
Biological Psychology: AND Companion Website with GradeTracker, Student Access Card
This is an excellent textbook and I highly recommend it. It is so interesting that it reads like a novel. It is current, easy to understand and relevant without being simplistic or reductionist in content. I have found this to be the clearest textbook available on biological psychology and I think I have them all! It is refreshing to be able to read through a topic without having to consult an exterior scientific dictionary.

The text also covers critical new areas like circadian rhythms, the present imaging limitations and the basic mechanisms of addiction and pharmacological interventions in mental health. Topics that will touch us all such as PTSD or Alzheimer's disease are covered with sensitivity and hope using examples of life histories included with the more traditional incidence and prevalence rates. Toates brings these principles to life even sharing personal histories of those who made critical discoveries in these fields.

Everyday examples are used to explain complex scientific principles and the book is beautifully illustrated with diagrams and graphs which are explained with care for those who have little statistical background. In each chapter there are review sections in order to self assess understanding as well as an interactive website membership that comes with the book for easy review.

Both biology and psychology students who bought the earlier version reported using this book and the website for group discussion and review. They suggest it offers hand holding support where needed information is easily found and clearly explained. In my own experience as a student I found an earlier version of the textbook to be a lifeline for me as a student with a limited science background and an insatiable curiosity. I found it inspired me to look farther and dig deeper. I presently work as a consultant in areas which intersect neuroscience and psychology and I found this book provided me with the support to believe that I could do it!

Dr. Toates book helped me not only with biopsychology but also with basic neuroscience. In every chapter biological and psychological perspectives are masterfully merged and joined to the theories that signpost the concepts. This is a wonderful improvement on other texts where psychology and biology seem to share an uneasy truce.

I would recommend this book for students and teachers who study or work in the field of biological psychology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource., 31 Mar. 2011
This is a great book, informative yet easy to read and understand. There are no 'difficult to get your head around' bits, Professor Toates explains all the tricky concepts associated with Biological Psychology in such a way that it is very understandable; but more than that, he stimulates you to find out more. I love the questions that he poses - they really do make you stop and think. I would definitely recommend this textbook and associated website to anyone with an interest in human brain and behaviour - and who wants to be inspired and enthused by such a fascinating subject!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 7 July 2011
This book has been a life saver for me. I highly recommend it as a comprehensive textbook for students from a psychological background who desire a deeper understanding of the biological basis underlying the psychology. Absolutely fascinating. The author brings the subject alive, and truely bridges the gap between the multitudes of specialties that constitute this discipline. The book provides an introduction at a neuronal level, and shows the relevance of the broader issues of consciousness, behaviour and cognition. Fred Toates is exceptional in his ability to remain sensitive to the needs of the student and the book is an absolute bible to dip in and out of with ease. Anatomical and physiological mechanisms involved in perception movement,and motivation.... the list encompasses all psychological phenomena. And concepts such as somatosensory, plasticity, homeostasis are embraced;
providing an evolutionary, developmental, and comparative perspective of the issues and overview not only the normal but the casestudies of the abnormal, are illuminating and so well written that it brings the subject alive. An absolute must for students or those desiring a deeper understanding the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biological psychology, 17 July 2009
This review is from: Biological Psychology (Paperback)
A gentle introduction to the subject by Professor Frederick Toates. It is written for students in a clear, easy manner without complicated latin terms. The colour pictures and graphs assist with demonstrating the text and this aids understanding. The professor writes for for the Open University on this subject, writting the course texts for students and this is I have to say, a far superior book. I am confused by the ou books, but I am picking up far more understanding from this book. If you are studying this subject, I an thoroughly recommend you purchase this. It is indispensable and very enjoyable. The author knows his stuff, as the saying goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing helper!!!, 2 Dec. 2009
V. Daflou "Kiki" (Berks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Biological Psychology (Paperback)
I enrolled in the SD226 Biological Psychology course with the Open University and other students recommended to buy this book. It has been amazing!!! The level of professionalism, the science well explained and the very helpful sum and questions at the end of every subject. It helps learn and retain information so well. It is a definite must for students!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A student friendly book that teaches and inspires at the same time!, 7 Sept. 2012
I bought this book when I was taking my psychology degree with the Open University. I bought it because I was doing a module on 'Exploring the Brain' a topic that I least looked forward to. Thanks to this book I not only succeeded in my module but I actually enjoyed the work. This book is so user friendly, explicable and professional. It was an important aid to my psychology degree, where I surprised myself and achieved a First Class Honours. I am certain that this book not only raised my achievement levels but it inspired me to learn more and become much more interested in the subjects I was studying. Biological psychology becomes a pleasure to learn when reading a book such as this, not only was the writing easy to read, the illustrations made it so much more comprehensive and I actually enjoyed reading and learning at the same time. A massive thank you to the author.Biological Psychology Plus Access Card for Gradetracker Website

5.0 out of 5 stars Biological Psychology, 25 Jan. 2012
I friend recommended this book, biological psychology by Frederick Toates and I was unable to put it down. I found the writing style very informative and understandable with each page understanding is gained and the aurthors passion for this area of study shown. At the time of reading the book I had not begun my degree, this book was the reason I returned to higher education. It has also been a close companion and firm favourite of mine throughtout the last 2 years. I would highly recommend this book to students or anyone intrested in this area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 25 May 2012
I absolutely love this book. It's being so useful, much more than what I thought when I ordered it. It would have been lovely to have it last year when I was studying a module on biological psychology but unfortunately I couldn't buy it then. I'm now studying the Exploring Psychology module and it's being extremelly helpful. So, it doesn't deal just with Biology but with cognition and evolutionary psychology. It is written in simple language and it is really interesting to read. Not sure what else to say, really love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Biological Psychology (Paperback)
A required text for my second year studying Psychology at uni. Was very useful and I was lucky enough to meet Dr. Fred Toates and have my copy signed. Worth purchasing :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, nice extra resources, 28 Mar. 2014
Kath (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Well written book, great detail and easy to understand. Great examples and relevant research are interesting. Great textbook for any student. Worth the purchase.

Biological Psychology Plus Access Card for Gradetracker Website
Biological Psychology Plus Access Card for Gradetracker Website by Dr Fred Toates (Paperback - 17 Mar. 2011)