5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Helpful - would benefit almost anyone
Published on 19 Jun. 2011 by Len Bappin

3.0 out of 5 stars Well executed but not for everyone
Published on 28 Dec. 2011 by Stephen Green

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Helpful - would benefit almost anyone, 19 Jun. 2011
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
I'm not familiar with the author's other books, and they didn't really appeal to me, but this one did. I pick up a fair few personal development type books and quite often I find (as you may) that there's only ever really one or maybe two decent ideas that really ring true or that you get close to actually using or applying - I assume with a lot of these the author probably had one good idea, maybe 30 pages worth, but to sell a book had to go make up 120 pages more. (I'm a big Tim Ferris fan, but there was a lot of hype about the 4 Hour Work Week, but what did it really do for most of us except get us to check e-mail less?)

Not so with this one, there's loads in it, credit to the author, more than happy to acknowledge where he's pinched ideas from too.

Normally I'd list pros & cons. Not really any cons that jump out at me - the stuff about work or being organised personally was more useful to me than some of the pieces around organising your home/family life as I'm single professional and in my 20s.

Pros
- There are a number of genuinely useful ideas here - either practical "do this" type stuff, or good models that you can apply or that frame your thinking thinking - not just one really good one with 100 pages of additional fluff. Two pieces I've put into practice - I can't quantify the time, but the models and methods have given me more confidence around being organised and certainly amped up my productivity at work big time. (I will implement more, but don't like to make big sweeping changes so I can test each piece).

- Must stress that there are models in there to frame your thinking, not just "do this" type advice - I hate books and development "gurus" that peddle out twaddle that worked for them like it'll automatically work for you. There's models to frame your thinking, which is better because you engage with it.

- Very easily readable. His style is simple and to the point, not loads of real world examples, but enough to give it credibility, and his enthusiasm is obvious. The layout is great, everything is quick to get through, nothing is complicated and it is very easy to revisit bits.

- It speaks to the modern day - i.e. time poor people (or people who believe they're time poor), increasing complexity at work, increasing complexity in the formats for communication.

- I'm a big believer in the whole "what gets measured gets managed" (much like Tim Ferris - wasn't just bashing 4HWW above!) and Heppell encourages you to do that in key areas too.

- Heppell gives what I think most people want from these types of books: practical advice and structures. He's not trying to start a "revolution" or attack the status quo, or get you to quit your current job and go for your "dream job" or anything like that, he's not trying to sell his own brand of whatever, normally identifiable where they give anything silly names like the Heppel Technique, Heppel's Law of Time Management etc. He's trying to give you practical, workable structures to be better at what you're doing now with more confidence and have more time for the things that you want to do (even if that's waste it!) and he hits the nail on the head.

The work stuff is very good, the personal organisation is too. Hard to think of who wouldn't benefit from this book, but if you're in your 20s or 30s, you work in management or the knowledge / service economy where you don't get "trained" on stuff like this and you're responsible for your own time, even if you're very good with that time, there'll definitely be plenty in here for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, packed with handy tips, 8 May 2011
Mr. S. P. Lockyer "mrlockyer" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
We all feel that there aren't enough hours in the day, and I have to admit that I thought that saving an hour every day would be too high a challenge to put out. This book is very clever however. Each page has a little timer on it, where you can write in how many minutes each day any of the ideas on that page are likely to save you. After reading it, I have to admit, I think it probably is possible! Even with a very busy and long working day, there are some great suggestions to organising your life and work, and it is simply a case of finding the ones that work for you.
While some of the ideas may not be new, I'm sure there are enough suggestions and improvements to routines to help everyone on their way to saving at least an hour a day. In the 24 hours since I have read the book, I have already cleared my desk, finding a forgotten receipt claim for £50 at the bottom of a pile, and tackled a work query that had been 'hovering' in the back of my mind with ease.
Task completed, desk tidied and already £50 up - that's pretty good going!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, it really does give you back an hour every day., 30 April 2011
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
I have been a massive fan of Michaels previous books, How to be Brilliant, 5 star Service and Flip it. Save an hour is something most of us need and this new book really does work. It is full of so many tips...... my garden shed, wardrobe and office desk are already less cluttered! The book also tells you to reward yourself and give yourself permission to take time out for yourself. The book is an easy read and you feel your toes curl as he hits on so many things I often do that waste so much of my time. The book has inspired me to ensure I continue to save an hour each day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well executed but not for everyone, 28 Dec. 2011
Stephen Green (Uttoxeter, Staffs. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
This review fits in amongst mostly positive and a few negative reviews and because I am not going to rave about this book I know that I am going to get some negative ratings. Michael has a strong and loyal following, deservedly so, but my mission is to describe what the book offers, what is lacks and how it compares to other books I have read. This book is a little bit like an old hat suddenly coming back into fashion. Not only are most of the ideas heavily recycled but also a bit thinner than the original concepts. What the author does very well is to skilfully present the best of the known techniques in a well laid out and visually appealing manner. He is unsurprisingly a best seller because he markets himself very skilfully using links. It also feels good in your hands with its raised writing on the attractive cover. You may also read that there is an unattributed quote saying that the author is one of the best 3 speakers in the world. That sounds like a warm up introduction and should never have been put in the book. So would you be asking for your money back? No, because even though this isn't even the tenth best book ever written on time management, it is both a great first book and a good all-rounder having some great bonus material and a community for followup. For me it was worth it for the five minute workout link and a great layout of the "to do-must do" list. If you don't read a lot of this material then this is a great book to summarize all the best known techniques and tips of the last decades all in one place. At the time of writing this review I have so far reviewed 40 books most of which are on aspects of self developement and if there is some particular breakthrough you are seeking, at the very least you can use some of my reviews to hop on to other reviews. This is often how I come across new books to read as the "popular" books aren't always the best and the latest books aren't always cutting edge. For example although "give me time" has been out for years it is now cheap to buy, authoritative and expert, easy to refer to and covers more ground than this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds you to think about what matters, 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this little book. I am a procrastinator and we occassionally need a gentle prod such as the one this book gives.

It is written in a simple, easy to read style, and it actively encourages you to skim over parts - although I found this impossible to do as I enjoyed it so much. It includes a number of tricks I am already using in one form or another, and it was good to have them re-inforced, but the real lesson I took from it was how to give more value to the most important things in one's life (and work may not be one of these).

One reviewer here considers the attitudes to 'time bandits' rude, but I would suggest that they have missed the point of the book (perhaps they speed read it too speedily), and remind them that it constantly asks you to deal with people politely, and to be flexible in your approach to these "tips".

My favourite tip concerned delegating work upwards - and I will be doing this as often as possible. That doesn't mean I stop doing my job - it means I spend more of my time doing my job and less time doing the stuff that isn't my job.

Don't expect magic from this book. If you really want to save some time, then read it properly and take some action. If you are already carrying out these 'common sense' ideas and can save no more time, then sit back and feel good about how much time you are already saving. You may be busy but at least you know it is all time well spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting exercise, but......, 13 Aug. 2011
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
I bought this book because I am always running around like a headless chicken and figured that an extra hour could make a real difference to my business.

Although there are some great ideas that I have put in to practice As usual real life gets in the way. The "Time Tracker" template is totally unworkable so I spent an hour redesigning it so that I would actually have space to fill in my activities. One week later I looked through the forms and can now say that there was nothing on there that I didn't NEED to do. So I have discovered one thing by reading this book and that is not that I waste time but that I have too much too do. I have tried to keep days separate for different aspects of my life but what do you do if the cat gets sick on a "Key" day ?

If I have learnt one thing from this book it is not "How to save an hour every day" but simply that I have a very full on life and that I should stop beating myself up about the fact that occasionally things slip through the net.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 8 May 2011
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
I have been a reader of Michael's previous books and I can honestly say that they have all had positive effects on my life and so to see that Michael was writing a book on time management I was hoping to see the same benefits and I am pleased to say that I was not disappointed.
There are so many ideas on how to save an hour every day but a few stand out in particular and have already had a positive influence. As is Michael's honesty, not all of the ideas work for every person and this is the case for me but the ones that do are brilliantly simple.
As with all personal development books, it is one thing to read and digest the information but it is another thing to actually do something. One of the key phrases throughout Michael's books is "massive action = massive results" and this is no more evident than in this book.
A highly recommended read and well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars All about the 'must dos', 3 May 2011
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
I have recently read the book and love the way it channels your thinking to realise the value of your time, what you can do with it or how you can share it with special people. And I can be cynical, so the fact that I'm adopting a load of the tips is huge. Plus, I'm using my 'extra' time for my artistic hobbies, to exercise, cook meals ahead and freeze them, and catch up with friends - even just for a quick coffee or drink. Really look forward to hearing how others find the tips and tricks. Really like being able to flick through a chapter or two and start adopting a tip I missed at first reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tips everyone needs this book!, 4 May 2011
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
I was given this book by my sister and I haven't been able to put it down!

Michael's tips are amazingly simple and easy to follow and have changed my life. I now have time to enjoy my family and friends and make the most of my time instead of wasting it on pointless activities.

If you are like me and never have enough time for yourself and doing the things you want to do this is the book for you.

Everyone needs to buy a copy of this book - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Save an Hour? It's far more than that., 8 Jun. 2011
This review is from: How to Save an Hour Every Day (Paperback)
Another gift from Michael to his readers. The challenge is of course, that the people who need this most, are most likely to be the people who won't find the time to buy it!

So your challenge is equally simple - if you know of someone who fits into the 'far too busy for life' category, do them a favour and buy this book, it's Brilliant and they'll love you for it... in fact, it will give them the time to love you for buying it for them!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How to Save an Hour Every Day
How to Save an Hour Every Day by Michael Heppell (Paperback - 18 April 2011)