5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically clear
Published on 16 Oct 2009 by jakeone

3.0 out of 5 stars As the title says - Simple
I bought this book prior to attending an executive course at a business school and read it prior to and during the course. The language is simple as are the scenarios and helped me understand the principles of accounts. Those that hadn't read it were on the back foot from day 1.
Published 9 months ago by Jennifer Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically clear, 16 Oct 2009
jakeone (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I own a couple of businesses but had always left the accounting stuff to my accountants. That's OK up to a point but when you begin to understand the importance of the "numbers" in your business, you cannot, with good conscience, leave it entirely in the hands of others. Whether you like it or not (and I don't), accounts are vital to showing a business what is going wrong, what is going well - and what to do next. No sane business person can ignore this.

Years of "learned helplessness", disinterest and apathy meant I always believed accounting was just something that was beyond me. I tried several books (all of which were very dry) but they all tended to start off simply but become more complex. This book is different and it was this book that finally helped me understand accounting. Whilst it won't make you an accountant (and maybe that's not a bad thing!) it will teach you all you need to know as a business owner or someone working in the accounts department of a small business. I can now talk confidently and more intelligibly about my business figures with my accountant and bank manager but also run my businesses more effectively.

In particular, I liked how the author would often say, "Think of it as X" or "Basically, all it really is, is Y" - that really helped clear up a lot of the concepts and put accounting in "human terms" that were much easier to grasp.

I highly recommend it to any business owner or anyone who has to deal with the day-to-day running of any small-medium business. It will put you in a much better driving position and help you steer your business far more effectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for those undertaking AAT Technician level accountancy, 30 Jan 2010
I would recommend this book to anyone undertaking Technician level AAT Accountancy.

You will find many of the graphical examples and explanations very helpful.

A very well written book with good examples for those who already understand the fundamentals of accountancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple - ideal for the novice, 6 Feb 2008
N. Smith "Nick Smith" (UK) - See all my reviews
As an accounting dunce, I've tried to read a lot of books about basic accounting to help improve the skills I need in my business. In my experience, most of these books seem to use a lot of unexplained jargon or fail to put the information into a practical context. This book scores highly on both counts - everything is clearly explained and the examples have been very easy to relate to my own experience.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for general interest and 1st year AC students, 24 April 2010
Logical, concise and well written.
Just a great book that explains the fundamentals in a refreshingly digestible way. This has been more help than the 40 textbook for my Accounting course.
Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Nov 2011
Quentin C. Livingston (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Accounts Demystified: The Astonishingly Simple Guide to Accounting (Paperback)
Finally! A book that actually does what it says on the cover. It REALLY does demystify accounts. Profit and loss I always understood but balance sheets I could never understand but now finally I do! Highly recommend !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding !, 15 Sep 2010
Fin (Stamford) - See all my reviews
This is a really excellent book. I bought two books from Amazon at the same time - 'The Definitive Guide to Busines Finance' and this one. I only got as far as page 21 before I had completely lost interest in The Definitive Guide - what a load of waffle. By comparison I could hardly put Accounts De Mystified down. By day two I had a set of company accounts analysed and set out on in Excel on my PC. I then went on to analyse and trend key areas of the business over the last 5 years.

I have done some accounts training in the past but there were areas that I never totally understood. P&L's I can do in my sleep but I struggled with Balance Sheets. De Mystified makes it all so simple with lots of visual explanations and simple worked examples. The style is more like a patient friend taking you slowly through the basics and then on to more complicated full business accounts but always checking that you're keeping up.

Buy this book, you wont be disappointed and may even be surprised. I hope, like me, you find it's all a lot simpler than you thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Oct 2010
Simple, well written and easy to follow. Having never looked at accounts before they are beginning to make sense - all thanks to a few hours reading this book! Excellent work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!!, 27 Sep 2010
A fantastic book, so easy to read and the explanations are very clear. I read this book as a complete novice to accounting before I started a college course. It helped me feel like I knew something before I started and actually gave me most of the basic information I need for the course!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of its type I have ever read., 10 July 2011
I bought this book in preparation for the accounting components of the Legal Practice Course (for solicitors). Between "Accounts Demystified" and the equally superb accounting tutorials on Khan Academy, I now have a solid understanding of basic accounting. Thank you, Messrs. Rice and Khan!

This book couldn't be any easier to follow. It starts right from square one and builds up the picture using practical examples, eventually reaching quite some level of detail (including how to spot misleading accounts). Expertly written and supremely instructive, this book wholly deserves its many 5-star reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly accurate title, 5 July 2010
A very good and simple guide to accounting.

I have read other books on accounting and each time I get to the point when I realise that I will never understand what it's all about. Reading this book I suddenly realised that it's not accounting that's the deep and impenetrable mystery, it's the way that accounting is explained that causes the confusion.

If, like me, you are confused by the jargon and the peculiar way things seem to work back-to-front then this book will dispel all mystery.

My only gripe is common to all books on accounting that I have read, it tells you how to read other people's accounts but is light on how to go about producing your own.

Accounts Demystified: The Astonishingly Simple Guide to Accounting