5.0 out of 5 stars Did get me the job!
Published on 9 Oct 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not get you the job
Now I'm not an expert on CV writing but the one thing I was always told is that a CV should not a longer than two pages. This to me is why a CV is so hard to write as you try and condense a lifetime of work and study down to two A4 pages. In this book no mention of this basic advice, and you are given various CV examples which are 3 to 4 pages long!

Buy...
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by Mark Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Did get me the job!, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Brilliant CV: What Employers Want to See and How to Write it (Brilliant Business) (Paperback)
I used this book a while back when applying for a job. It helped me to completely overhaul my CV- and I did get the job. The book takes you through the process, step by step, looking at how to work out what the employers are looking for- and then at how to make sure you give it to them. It is suitable for people starting their CV from scratch or those looking to update and refresh it.There were several things in the book I had never really thought about before, such as the authors' way of using short stories to illustrate competencies (also highly relevant for job interviews).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 17 Oct 2011
Jane Ashe "Jane Ashe" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for wok a while ago and found this book really useful. It gave all sorts of information about what to put in and what not to put in to CVs and also lots on the importance of covering letters. It also gave some good stuff on how to answer difficult interview questions, which was helpful too. I have now got a new job so the book and study that I did must have helped somewhere.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book I recommend on CV writing, 3 Dec 2012
R. Reed (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Sadly, the Perfect CV doesn't exist.

If you talk to 100 different people, you will get 100 different opinions. I have worked as a headhunter for 15 years. I have seen literally thousands of CVs. And I have read at least 10 books on how to write a CV. Even so, I can guarantee that if I were to write your CV in what I believe to be the most effective format, you could probably find several people who told you they thought it was rubbish and needed complete re-writing (hence no doubt some of the poor reviews of this book).

The obsession that job hunters have with crafting the perfect CV stems, I think, from the hope that they can make a 'magic bullet' which, on its own, will be sufficient to open doors, win interviews and bag a job. Unfortunately there has been plenty of research conducted to show that CV submissions alone lead to a job in less than 1% of cases.

CVs in fact play a relatively minor role in the overall job hunt; there are far more important things you could be doing to find a job than endlessly polishing your CV. The covering letter, for example, is in many ways more important for new graduates; and networking is more important for more experienced job seekers. And yet... And yet...

Whilst a great CV will not be sufficient to get you a job, unfortunately a poor CV will be enough to kill your job application. There are some pretty basic things you can do to improve your chances.

So that's why I recommend job seekers I meet to read this book. I first read it in 2008, along with 10 other books on how to write a CV and/or how to find a job. The reason I liked Brilliant CV is partly because it happened to agree with most of the views I already held on what makes a good CV (yes, I know that's highly suspect confirmation bias but, as I said earlier, the whole area of evaluating CVs is a highly subjective business).

More importantly, they were the only authors who had made any attempt quantitatively to test the impact of various CV formats on HR Recruitment Managers and Headhunters, and so were able to base their recommendations on what works and does not work from their feedback. Plus, it was clearly-written, not too boring (I struggled to finish some of the other books I read) and well set out. I in fact used it to re-write my own CV, though I read it mainly to keep up to date with skills I need for my job. So, if I were to only buy one book on CV-writing, Brilliant CV is the one I would use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 25 Oct 2013
Read few other books. Find it easy to read more focus on common problems which arose during the CV writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not get you the job, 20 Oct 2011
Mark Russell "avid reader" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews

Buy "You're Hired" by Corinne Mills who actually knows what she's talking about and mentions that a CV should be no longer than two pages and gives good CV examples.