Format: PaperbackChange

on 19 November 2012
You may be like me. Let's not mess about, I hate illustrator and everything about it and yet I use it a lot. Like most people I was born and raised on Photoshop and you name it, I can do it in Photoshop (and Flash. Indesign, Dreamweaver etc) but my affection for PSD files has tainted my appreciation of the Illustrator software and I have yet to conquer this. This means I often think in Photoshop terms about problems that aren't solvable in that manner. So I don't class myself as a beginner but I am no expert, I just need to have my logic reshuffled and a good book that I can pick up, search out what I need and put it back on the shelf is what I looked for and this book seemed like a good buy. I find it hard to read these books cover to cover, finding the time is hard and I have loads of books still to go through so this review is based on pick up, look up and solve use.

The best bit about it is, as most creative people are, I'm a visual learner and every page in this book has a small left hand panel of text in instructional step by step format and the other 2 thirds of the page are super efficient diagrams showing the example perfectly. It is a page per feature so super easy to use for reference, categorised well and easy to flick through. Slowly I'm getting better at Illustrator, I always find the solution in this book (or Google if leaning over to my bookshelf is too much hassle) and I've yet to be stumped with a task I need to complete.

The only thing it doesn't do, is make you love Illustrator but it makes your relationship slightly more pleasant.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2011
This is an excellent book for anyone that wants to gain an understanding of Adobe Illustrator. It is clear and concise and gets to the point without all the messy waffle. This book is great if your new or experienced as it acts as a reference tool to make it easy to look up necessary actions that you might not use on a regular basis.

You will find this book useful if you use it a a reference tool. You should not try to go from page to page. It will assist you more if you try to do a task and need to look up the instructions.

This BRILLIANT range of books are now available across all the Adobe software and I would encourage you to build up your library to get the most out of all the CS5 products.

on 15 July 2012
The layout of the brilliant books is exemplary. You have a set of instructions in a wide margin, and explanations on the rest of the page.
With over 500 pages of info you will find most of what you need, and although it is not tutorial, it is way above the competition, Adobe's Illustrator CS5 CIB (see review of that one, and don't be fooled by the 4- and 5-star reviews. They must be done by people of few expectations or vested interests).
Don't expect to be particularly proficient in using Illustrator over a weekend. But if you have some tasks you absolutely need to learn quickly, like converting a bitmap to vector (which I had to do), then for some reason neither this one nor Adobe's CIB have 'converting from bitmap to vector' in their index. Look for 'Tracing Raster Graphics'.
I needed it for a client who wanted their little web site logo on a banner, and needed a file that was scalable without loss of quality.
Found a solution online, but now I know where to look in this book too.
on 31 December 2011
Very comprehensive and easy to understand, even for complete beginners like myself. I definitley recommend this book for those new to the program.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When I started using Illustrator, not knowing my way around its many menus, I found this book rather helpful. In many ways it reads like a manual for Illustrator.

After I got used to Illustrator, however, which didn't take all that long, I did realise that this is more or less just a list of menus and the features that can be found in each one. It doesn't really teach you any techniques or tell you exactly how to do things.

So, if you struggle finding your way around Illustrator or find the user interface daunting, this may be a good book to help you hold your hand for the first few weeks, but after that, you will have to move on to something else if you wish to keep learning how to use Illustrator.
on 9 October 2011
Excellent book bought for complete novice with a little understanding of photoshop CS5. I find the instructions easy to understand but have not started to apply them yet.I intend to go through the book firet to get a better understanding of the ideas.Brilliant Photoshop CS5
on 12 November 2011
I'm really pleased I've purchased this book which gives clear, easy instructions to follow. I would definitely recommend "Brilliant Illustrator CS5" to anyone trying to learn this programme.
on 5 September 2012
Not finished reading this book yet but already put some features to the test in some of my work. I'd say it's more of a reference book than a 'read through' but it covers pretty much everything you can think of. Great addition to my collection and one that will be used over and again! Welcome addition to any collection!
on 29 July 2012
After started reading the book, my initial doubts disappeared.
The book is a great teacher for Illustrator.
it's easy to read and comprehend with pictures and step by step instructions.

Recommended for those who want to learn the cs5 (and not cs6 now that its out)
on 11 December 2011
Had already purchased Brilliant Photoshop CS5 by Steve Johnson so I knew what to expect. The book is extremely easy to pick up and read either from start to finish or as a reference to a particular subject. Well constructed contents and index pages together with a very useful keyboard shortcut section. A very worthwhile purchase for anyone wanting to get to grips with using Adobe's vector based drawing package. I'm sure it played a big part in me gaining my Adobe Certification.