Published on 17 Jan 2011 by KeithD

3.0 out of 5 stars I was not very impressed
I wanted to read this book as I expected it would be more informative as to CBT.
Published 5 months ago by Olivia

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to set you on the right track to getting your life back, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Change Your Life with CBT: How Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Can Transform Your Life (Paperback)
I have to say, I have always been a real sceptic in relation to self help books. As an academic and student of psychology, I have always found these kind of books, to be full of psycho babble and quick fixes. So what a great surprise to see the simple style and easy to understand layout of this book. Right from the start, you are in no doubt that the work lies within yourself. That no magic wand / spell or doctor is going to address the issues / problems that lie within your own life. However , that said the real life scenarios and examples, will no doubt amaze you, as they did me, at the accuracy of how they relate to ones own life / issues / problems. Within one hour of reading I felt an enormous weight lifted from my shoulders. Someone understands me !! The concept is simple, be true to yourself, be honest with yourself and change yourself. If you can do the former, then the latter is there within everyone. The exercises and "homework" are great, as it becomes clear that this is a "course" of action. It will take time to change your thought processes and the way you perceive the world around you. However, if you follow the exercises and arm yourself with the tools of CBT, you can and will change your life for the better.

Hats off to Corinne for understanding real people in real life! I hope all that read this book feel as inspired as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 22 Jun 2011
As a therapist myself but trained in another model, I found this book incredibly easy to read.
It is also a very empowering book which will go a long way to help people help themselves.
Very well written, using everyday language, it is a must for anyone who has tried to talk about themselves but have never known what to do with the information. Give it a go, you deserve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational, 22 Jan 2011
I found CBT interesting, very helpful, and easy to understand... Being a hairdresser, wife, mother, daughter, friend, and an employer, Corrine Sweet has helped me understand "why I behave the way I do." Her book has shown me by changing some of MY behaviour life has become richer and happier in many ways. If your are searching and always thinking or asking "why?" Then, I can highly recommend you read CBT!

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 30 Jun 2011
C. Burrell (UK) - See all my reviews
Ive not had much of a chance to work through the book as yet, but i have looked at the first chapter or so and it makes perfect sense - its all about changing your perspective. Very simplistic way of looking at things but that is the beauty of it. You do need to buy into the idea but its pretty easy to do and im sure it will work if you're honest with yourself and apply yourself a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal Development, 9 Jan 2011
Nigel Lakin (UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the clearest, easy to read books I have seen for a difficult to understand subject.
Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to create the New You, 20 Jan 2011
One of the reasons we watch film and television drama is that we like to see characters struggle to change their lives. Most people never change and live the same day over and over again. If you have the inclination to give yourself a new future Change Your Life with CBT by Corinne Sweet is the book for you.

It is well written and jargon free, clear and concise with an easy to follow layout like that of a users manual. The diagrams are intuitive and cover a lot of self testing for where the reader is now and the steps they have to take to arrive at where they want to be.

We all slip into negative ways and this book reacquainted me with the tools to change a negative into a positive, to understand the power that comes from changing simple things we do everyday and most of all the fact that it is easier to change ourselves than the rest of the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars it makes you think!, 19 Sep 2011
It is very useful because it makes you question deep inside yourself. You would learn very useful things that otherwise you wouldn't even research about your life and the other's lives. It makes you analyse yourself and even if you think you don't have a specific big problem you can solve small everyday life situations. I would recommend it to everyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars I was not very impressed, 23 May 2014
It is ok to read, but for me, presents too many individual cases ( some extreme, I would say) in the detriment of the cbt guidance it should provide the reader with. Maybe it is meant to make the reader learn from other experiences, but what do you do if you do not find yourself in any of those examples? I think I just expected more on how actually to break down habits, thoughts, beliefs and how to change these. It was worth reading it though, but after I finished reading I realised that it had actually not done anything for me. It talks about change- but that is all that it does really, something I have already known.

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful!, 13 Mar 2014
This book explains everything clearly and helpfully. It gives good guidance and advice without being patronising.
I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a CBT book.

2.0 out of 5 stars it's ok, 28 Nov 2013
I found this book a bit hard going to read and it wasn't what I was really wanting.I have skimmed through it but have not read in detail as found a bit boring.However if I do manage to get into it my opinion may change.A book for a serious reader,definitely not for a novice reader interested in CBT