5.0 out of 5 stars proverbol, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: Financial Times Guide to Inheritance Tax, Probate and Estate Planning (The FT Guides) (Paperback)
I am not a qualified solicitor although I am a retired financial administrator with many years experience.

I much prefer this Guide to the Which? Guide because I found the worked examples in the latter, of which many were not applicable, simply got in the way of the text.

I used this guide the second time I administered the estate of a close relative which included an IHT assessment, which I dealt with myself, and the transfer of ownership of a home, for which I asked a solicitor to deal with as I have no experience in that area.

With help of this Guide I completed everything in six months (although I had to wait a further four weeks until I received an IHT clearance certificate!).

I have recommended this Guide to my Retirement Association for inclusion in their Help Section but I do not know yet whether they will do.

If you are good with paperwork, well organised and like a money-saving challenge, especially if the deceased is a close friend or a family member then this Guide will help you achieve success!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for all three UK legislatures, 31 Oct 2013
Geo. (Orkney, Scotland) - See all my reviews
If you are faced with the prospect of undertaking the task of settling the estate of someone who has died in an attempt to save a small fortune, then this book was the best of the four I used and replaced my old copy of the 'Which?' guide (the new Which? publication might be more user friendly, but is less good than this book).

When dealing with probate, it does more than mention that things are different in Scotland and it is called confirmation, it deals with the differences and cites the appropriate forms, I presume it is as accurate when dealing with the differences in Northern Ireland.

Once you have ploughed through the tasks of Probate and Inheritance tax, the mind naturally turns to the state of one's own finances post one's own mortality and the final part which deals with estate planning aims at getting one to strike whilst in the mood.

A really helpful addition to one's library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 31 July 2014
Not an exciting read but an informative one - did exactly what it said on the cover.

21.59