5.0 out of 5 stars A lifetime's knowledge
Finally, marketing has its own Encyclopaedia Britannica.

How to do Better Creative Work is essential reading for an age defined by organising principles and multi-channel consumer dialogue.

Because, if you don't have a strong idea that people can converse or organise around, then you'll find yourself quickly consigned to history. And that applies...
Published on 15 July 2009 by Mr. I. Harrison

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exciting
I expected more interested but I found it very confusing the way it has been written .

I would appreciate you gave me the refund otherwise I won't call again
Published 9 months ago by Nicolas Florio

5.0 out of 5 stars How could I spend so many years in advertising without reading this?, 7 Oct 2012
Jayme Kopke "Hamlet B2B" (Lisbon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Do Better Creative Work (Prentice Hall Business) (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to meet Steve Harrison when he led Harrison Throughton Wunderman, then the most acclaimed DM agency in the world. Meeting the man behind that fabulous source of good work explained a lot of things. It was his high standards,his clarity on what it takes to produce outstanding advertising - be it "direct", "digital" or whatever - and his total unwillingness to compromise on these matters that made HTW such a brilliant exception in an otherwise dull network.

When I heard about this book I couldn't wait to buy it and was in no way disappointed. Every sentence in it makes so much sense that you can't help wonder why it's so hard for the advertising industry to adopt this way of work.

Harrison doesn't tell anything radically new. On the contrary, he opposes the accepted wisdom that the digital revolution changed everything, referring instead to the good old masters such as Bernbach, Ogilvy, James Webb Young. It's about getting back to the basics: the importance of a good creative brief based on problem solving, good traffic management inside the agency, good creative evaluation and execution and good selling. Without all this, even the best talent is wasted - and this is what happens everyday, sadly, in thousands of ad agencies around the world.

If you work in advertising, either as a creative, an account person or a client, this is a book you can't afford not to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for anyone with a product or service to promote, 4 Jun 2012
This is a succinct, well written book packed with examples and practical advice. Whilst it may be written from an agency perspective there is much that even a small business owner marketing their own business can learn. The chapters on writing a brief and the worked through examples are invaluable.

I note that one reviewer has complained that the book is too short and doesn't spell out how Steve was so successful. I beg to differ. It takes real skill to keep the message simple and to write so succinctly. The book makes us think. Steve reveals a process that leads to better creative work. He demonstrates a terrific command of the English language, a thorough understanding of his industry, a thirst for knowledge and a breadth of experience. That is how he was so successful.

This book might now be selling on Amazon for hundreds of pounds but I'll not be selling my copy, instead I expect it to become grubby and dogeared from constant reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to run a great agency as well, 17 Oct 2011
This book is a gem. It is well written, funny and concise... and pain useful. I have to place this in my top 10, and that is saying a lot - I read 50 business/design books a year. After reading this book, you will have a better idea how to run your own studio/department as well as how to come up with solid solutions to client problems (ideas + execution). There is a section with case studies which would be worth the money in itself. Steve Harrison knows his subject in and out, and it is refreshing to see someone look for how good the idea is at selling to customers instead how probable is it to get an award. John Hopkins would be proud.
Design-wise the cover paper only seems like recycled paper, it is in fact printed on heavy coated stock which seems unnecessary. The font use is also a bit weird, the headings use a very fat display font more appropriate for a magazine cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 10 Oct 2011
Terrific book from the former exec CD of Wunderman London. Whether you want to be more creative, write better briefs or learn how to recognise and make ideas happen, Harrison will help you do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to..., 28 Feb 2011
Some great advice and a reminder lesson in how complex we make a way of working that should be simple. A very informative and entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am only half way through..., 7 Jan 2011
and I am already loving this book. I only wish I had spotted it a year ago when I began on my journey of becoming an advertising copywriter. It puts everything into perspective and spells it all out in plain english while also making you aware of what the art of advertising really is all about. I feel as though I have learnt more from reading this book than from the 10+ books I have bought and read on the subject over the past 12 months. Thank you Steve Harrison for writing something worthy for a fledgling creative!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, 31 Oct 2010
This book is one of the most stimulating I've ever read about creative industry. Although focusing on advertising and marketing, it has valuable insights for people working in other creative industries. The author uses his considerable experience to provide very nuggety advice about such matters as defining a brief and formulating a proposition. Equally valuable is his finely tuned sense of where things can go wrong - and how to avoid typical pitfalls. I like the fact that Harrison is not afraid to stick his neck out and argue some unpopular or unfashionable views.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, full of ideas and for everyone in advertising, marketing, PR and comms, 29 Oct 2010
This is an excellent book, one that I've read and come away feeling I've learnt plenty, that I can put what I've learnt into practice, and that it will have a positive effect on the work I do. To me, this book is well worth the cover price.

Don't be fooled into thinking this book is aimed just at creative teams in traditional advertising agencies. I think anyone who works in any type of marketing, communication, PR or advertising role should read this - in my opinion, you'll benefit greatly. And that's regardless of whether you're at an agency, in-house or freelance.

The book is divided up into the following sections:

Introduction: which provides a short summary of how the book came about.

CH1 How to be more creative: discusses how you, as an individual, can become more "creative", but actually it's about how you can work smarter. Covers everything from booze, hours, to learning new skills and what books you should read to get you ahead of your peers.

CH2 How to create an environment in which better work will flourish: covers how to get the best out of everyone in the team/department/organisation. There are plenty of ideas in here ranging from the extremes (paying people to go on holiday) through to encouraging your staff and training.

CH3 Problem/solution: Why you can't just have one idea and takes a look at some lateral thinking from great campaigns.

CH4 Getting your big idea down on paper: This chapter is worth the price of the book alone. It's the one with the most obvious advice, but I suspect the one that very few people actually follow. Covers everything from doing your background homework through to briefing your designers. If you're going to read one chapter, make it this one. And it's very applicable to marketing, communications, PR and advertising professionals - regardless of experience and whether you work in an agency, in-house, or as a freelancer.

CH5 Relevant abruption: Having good creative ideas - the author also provides examples of low budget/tactical creative campaigns covering a range of companies.

CH6 How to build a brand and get response: Covers larger campaigns and provides explanations/details. Also looks at traditional and new ways of thinking.

CH7 How to sell creative work: Selling your ideas to clients. Lots of practical advice here and tips on the knowledge and skills required to present successfully to your clients.

CH8 How to get the best from a creative department: Arguably the one chapter aimed specifically at creative teams, with a focus on creative directors.

Some people have suggested the book is light on detail and needs to be longer. I would disagree because the beauty of this book is that it's short, sharp and gets straight to the point. It's an easy and enjoyable read - no heavy academic text. The other good point of the book is that whilst the author has provided a sequential blueprint for better creative work, you don't need to follow the points in order - you can simply dip in and take the parts most relevant to you. In no way and at no point does the author force you to be prescriptive.

Overall, an excellent read and one I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 9 Sep 2009
Simon Comber - See all my reviews
Reading 'How to do better creative work' was exactly what I needed at a time where I was expected to run campaigns on non-existent budgets yet expected to achieve absolute cut through. There are only so many DM campaigns you can do with an A5 double sided insert...it gets frustrating! Steve's book made me sit back, re-think things that i'd lost sight of and made me understand what I was mailing, why I was mailing it, and to who. As much common sense as anything, the book makes you want to actually do better creative work and since this i have applied concepts in my own role. Thanks Steve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
Exceptional theory & inspiring examples

How to Do Better Creative Work (Prentice Hall Business)
How to Do Better Creative Work (Prentice Hall Business) by Steve Harrison (Paperback - 9 Jun 2009)
Used & New from: 37.10