4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to InDesign
One thing that makes this book so appealing is that is printed in full colour on nice paper. The 500 pages of this paperback are well laid out (as should be the case with a book about desk top publishing) with lots of white space and screen shots on every page.

Published on 19 Jan 2010 by DigitalAuthor

3.0 out of 5 stars Tells me what I need
I bought this beek to help me upgrade from InDesignCS to InDesignCS4. As a diip-in reference, it's okay.
Published on 5 Mar 2010 by Friendly Dragon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to InDesign, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Brilliant InDesign CS4 (Paperback)

I found this book perfect for my requirements, so I had better explain that I have spent 20 years using the DTP program Corel Ventura to produce technical manuals, booklets, and newsletters. Now I have switched to Adobe InDesign CS4. So I have all the knowledge of design and layout and typography and printing. I know exactly WHAT I want to do. But I needed a guide as to HOW to do it in InDesign. This book is perfect.

A typical page is Creating Path Type. This explains, with step-by-step instructions and three pictures, how to add text that follows a Path (eg a wavy line or a circle). It doesn't tell you anything about when you should use such an effect, or good and bad design, which fonts look good like this. But if you know that you want to put some text along a path, this page explains what to do.

If you are complete beginner to DTP you need some other book(s) -- probably as well as this book. If you are an expert at using InDesign then you won't need this book. Anybody in between (and that probably means you) then I would recommend it.

Both the PC (Windows) and the Macintosh are covered, with separate panels showing keystrokes and shortcuts for each. The book starts off at the lowest possible level, telling you how to insert the CD to install InDesign onto your computer. But I found it as technically advanced as I needed in later pages -- for example on the page showing how to create a Table there's a note that you can highlight a list of items separated by commas to create an instant Table. There is no import function in InDesign to allow me to directly read in my old files from Ventura, but that little note alerts me that I can export tables from Ventura and paste them in Indesign and easily create a new Table.

WH Smith had a big display of these Brilliant books (covering all aspects of computing), and this book was published in UK in 2009. However, I see that this same book previously was published with the title Adobe InDesign On Demand by Que.

And for a 500 page book in full colour, the price on Amazon seems ridiculously low.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLEAR EASY COMPREHENSIVE GREAT VALUE, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Brilliant InDesign CS4 (Paperback)
Very clear, easy step-by-step guide to this incredibly vast programme; especially if you really hate instruction manuals, or like me, have a full-blown phobia about them. It gives you answers as well as instructions and it is great value for money

3.0 out of 5 stars Tells me what I need, 5 Mar 2010

ARRAY(0xaf2bb84c)

Brilliant InDesign CS4
Brilliant InDesign CS4 by Mr Steve Johnson (Paperback - 17 Dec 2008)
13.97