5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday tips that anyone can use
Aimed mainly at the business market, this book is filled with practical tips and advice for improving all sorts of meetings.

Published on 24 Jun. 2009 by D. Maitland

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money
Published on 12 Feb. 2013 by TangoCharlie

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Brilliant Meetings: What to Know, Say and Do to Have Fewer, Better Meetings (Brilliant Business) (Paperback)
Not quite sure who this is aimed at. I found it basic and dull - do I or anybody else really need to be told what a flipchart is for example? The writing is passive, plodding and padded out to long sentences. To pick a random but typical paragraph: 'Whether your role in the meeting is to participate, prepare or lead there may be occasions when it will be necessary to deliver valuable contributions' could be written more inspiringly 'Whatever your role in the meeting, sometimes you may want or need to contribute effectively'. It gives links to a website to download materials such as checklists and the links don't work. As a trainer, I thought it might give me some useful tips to pass on in some of my training courses, such as tips for being assertive and getting what you want out of meetings. Even if you were a young person just starting working life and going to meetings, I can't see how this would help you much. Authors please learn how to write in plain English before you write another book - there's a great website(...)plainenglish.co.uk which can show you how.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday tips that anyone can use, 24 Jun. 2009
D. Maitland (UK) - See all my reviews

The book is easy to read and is very current, tackingling issues of the dreaded video and telephone conferences. For people interested in stopping any more wasted hours in boring, dull and ineffective meetings, this is a good place to start.

1.0 out of 5 stars Banal and so very weak, 8 Dec. 2012
First of all, I apologise for being negative here. I dislike being negative and hat's off to the two who wrote this book. They wrote a book and I haven't.
At this point, 5 people have reviewed the book and all given 5 stars. Rarely have I felt so baffled and I did wonder if I was reading the same book so I actually did double check back to these Amazon pages.
What I expected was an insightful book with "brilliant" and creative ideas to put spark into the mundane way I organise in or participate in a meeting. It failed to give me anything of the sort. It was flat, banal and pointless.
I've been in many meetings and I've been on the planet for a while so maybe that is the problem. Maybe this book is aimed at younger people just starting out at work - I don't know but I suppose it's possible. But for people like me, who have a modicum of common sense and a reasonable amount of intelligence this book is dreadful. I don't know where to begin, but lines like "no one ever got fired for arriving early" and "time spent in meetings will be reduced through effective preparation" litter the book. Each point is a "Brilliant tip", or a "Brilliant quote" or a "brilliant definition". Brilliant definition!
There are quotes such as, "By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail". Surely this is now cliche and obvious. Oh, and they give the definition of the word "agenda". How does that help anyone?
You could read the book by ignoring the body text and jump from Brilliant tip to Brilliant tip. It would make the book much more concise and less of a waste of time.

So in summary, I really did dislike this book. I don't think I learnt anything other than that I should share my views. I think I dislike the use of the word Brilliant to describe thoughts that are banal, simple and cliched. I feel foolish to have been taken in by the word "Brilliant". I thought I was buying something Brilliant, but instead it was just dim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Meetings - Inspirational, 11 July 2009
J. Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
Learn, Share, Create
There is some confusion in this book between smaller round-the-table meetings, and larger conference events. For me, music and aroma can work very well with the latter, but not in small meeting environments. However, the real strength of this book is not highlighted sufficiently, and that is the innovative and simple classification of meetings into different types; Learn, Share, Create. A meeting is a meeting is a meeting; or at least it used to be, and whatever the meeting purpose, they were always held in one of our sterile `meeting' rooms.
Our last strategy day was targeted at coming up with some clichéd "blue sky thinking" for improving our services. After reading Brilliant Meetings, I held an informal "create meeting" at my home where we used the lounge and garden to generate a much better atmosphere and interaction. What seemed unnatural at first, soon became the most productive ideas meeting we have ever held. I've now given all my managers a copy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something?, 8 Jan. 2013
I'm astonished that this book has had so many positive reviews. The advice is almost insultingly obvious. It's full nuggets such as "arrive on time" and "turn off your phone". However, there is some specific information about preparing presentations that I think could be useful to people starting out in the world of work. And the chapters that invite you to think about why you are having the meeting and who to include are useful for anyone. Overall I don't think this book is good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your meetings more efficient, 11 Jan. 2010
N. Byrne - See all my reviews
Working in a small team means that everything discussed in meetings needs to be recorded and actioned, or the next time the meeting reconvenes you end up have the same meeting over and over again! Using some of the techniques described in Brilliant Meetings has helped us become more efficient and share information quickly and easily with everyone - it also means that meeting actions are recorded, distributed and, in the most part, done!

2.0 out of 5 stars More Ordinary than Brilliant!, 26 Mar. 2015
Whilst there are some good points within this book it was not what I was expecting. I was expecting to get an inisght into how to direct meetings to make them more dynamic and get tips on how to get people to focus on actions/solutions. Most of it was just common sense, have an agenda, take minutes, arrive on time. I was looking for something Brilliant I feel I got something Ordinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn a meeting into an opportunity !, 4 Jan. 2010
Kevin Hickling (UK) - See all my reviews
Some great tips and ideas for face to face meetings - particularly for those embarking on a career in a large organisation. Have recommended to colleagues to try to change company policy on the need to meet and how to make the most of the time available. Excellent read during international travel to - meetings !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant is Brilliant!!, 25 Feb. 2010
Ms. V. Hing "V Hing" (UK) - See all my reviews
Take time to dip into this book for time saving ideas that not only enhance decision making, but make your contributions to meetings effective. If you are sick of a "meetings for meetings sake" culture - you could change - read this and turn your meetings into Brilliant Meetings.