5.0 out of 5 stars Best structured book on interviews
Published on 21 Feb. 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Money making scheme to prey upon the fears of the jobless
I am writing this review 6 months after I purchased it and read/leafed through its pages. It was a culmination of all the advice given for free in columns of job websites and newspapers. Really. There was not a single thing of value or new in this book. I learnt nothing. Mind you, I like self help books and do not expect to learn more than 1 or 2 things from each book...
Published on 22 Aug. 2012 by Quratulain Habib

5.0 out of 5 stars Best structured book on interviews, 21 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Interview Book: Your Definitive Guide to the Perfect Interview Technique (Paperback)
The most comprehensive guide on interviews I have come across. Written with plenty of practical examples, and not missing out the occasional humourous anecdote which I find helps to remember what not to do. Some books merely give you a list of questions , tough questions, illegal questions etc. but The Interview Book convinces by providing a complete strategy and also doesn't miss out on those obvious things that one can forget when faced with interview nerves. It also covers related topics such as resignation, references etc. For a number of areas that are not extensively dealt with in the book, links are provided where the reader can download useful tools and tests for their perusal. This book is recommended for full reading, but could also be used as a reference if you need specific advice and/or don't have the time to read everything before the interview.

(For those who wonder "why a separate book on inteviews?" Do you feel it is possible to squeeze everything related to job hunting into one single book, and how beneficial is this for the reader - how good would superficial advice be ?? Ask yourselves if you would want to buy a book that tells you everything on as few pages as possible at the lowest cost possible etc... you can be sure that if such book existed it would be no better than the advice from your job office...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 13 Feb. 2011
This book covers all the aspects of an interview,is easy to read and follow,helps you get organized and focus on your goal: the job.Packed with tips and advices motivates and makes you more confident in yourself.It's a must have for any job seeker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for jobseekers, 12 April 2011
This book helped me to answer lots of questions in the right way during my interview. I will therefore recommend it for job seekers.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL BECOMES CLEAR, 13 April 2011
Bought this book on Amazon after getting throught to interview stage but no job offers.Very few companies provide useful feedback so I did n't know what I was doing wrong.
Suddenly all became clear after reading this book - Interviewers speak a secret code!
This book gives lots of examples of competency questions and the type and content of answers the interviewer is looking for.Practical
advise on how to tailor it to yourself.Clearly and well written.
Well worth the money and I feel a lot more confident in my approach.Have recommended it to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars FIRST IMPRESSIONS really DO count!, 3 Sept. 2009
S. Ingemansen - See all my reviews
Nowadays, as redundancies/layoffs run rampant, a person has to make an outstanding impression the first time. There are no second chances for the job you want. As an Employment Coach, I have seen all too many times throughout my career people committing horrible interview no-no's and talking themselves right out of a job! I bought this book for my own use (one can always learn new tricks) but find it exceptionally useful when advising my customers as well.

The section in the book that talks about `The top 25 tough questions: taking the heat' proves quite helpful in answering some pretty daunting questions. Let's face it, nobody likes to interview - it's an anxiety ridden process from start to finish. So, if you already know how you are going to answer some of these anticipated `toughies' thrown at you, then it takes off at least some of the pressure in an already nerve-wracking situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Interview Book, 4 Feb. 2010
Michael D. Fellows (Gosport, Hants) - See all my reviews
This book is an excellent and thoroughly thoughtful guide to prospective interviewees for their preparation before interview and offering considerable help at the actual interview. The process of demystifying what to expect is admirable as is the choice of a wide and extensive range of questions to be expected and how to deal with them, including the unexpected (and maybe illegal) ones as well. It also explains the meaning behind a variety of alternate questions and stresses the need to be truthful in the answers given but always using strategies to emphasise the positive good that the applicant can bring to the employer.
It covers all the practical points that interviewees should be aware of and illustrates some of the most common and often disastrous errors that can be made by candidates, highlighting some of these as "Bloopers". A book of undoubted merit that I can recommend to all aspiring successful interviewees.
Like its companion "brilliant Cover Letters" it is hard to fault for its comprehensive presentation.
I would only remind readers that applicants should always show the utmost trust and respect for the judgement of their prospective employer, in both their letter of application and at interview; anything else is a clear "No No".
M. D. Fellows. Retired Headmaster, B. G. S. South Gloucestershire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with top tips for getting through interviews, 26 Aug. 2009
Ms. K. L. Wilson (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This excellent book covers absolutely everything you need to know about getting through an interview process and, of particular use, are the comprehensive examples given for how to answer some of those really difficult questions that crop up in interviews. I now feel more confident than ever before that I can succeed at interview having a much better idea about how to create the right first impression both through how I look and what I say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy book!, 31 Oct. 2009
S. Hogg (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to help me with my interview technique as I was unsure of what to expect nowadays. It had been a few years since my last interview and i needed to find a book which provided realistic answers to difficult interview questions. I liked this book as it included some of the weird and wonderful questions which now seem to be part of the recruitment process for many employers. I also liked the fact that the book has a section on how to handle the offer process which I didn't feel confident with. All in all, a good entertaining book with helpful information. I thoroughly recommend it and hopefully you too can shine in interview just as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - follow the structure for success, 28 Sept. 2012
AM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Every job that I've got in the past was after a relatively informal chat with the owner, director or hiring manager. Every job I haven't got has involved a competency interview - I just couldn't do them. I had to resort to extreme measures and bought this book. There's not an interview scenario or question I haven't been asked before but this told you what they were looking for and how to answer.

The book covers a lot in the first few chapters from the obvious; turn up on time, dress smartly, know the company, etc. and then spends a good chunk of the book going through the type of questions you are likely to get.

I can say with absolute certainty that all of the interviews covered are real and I've literally gone through them all. All of the questions are real and I've gone through them all (even some of the "illegal" questions").

The only thing I didn't do and wouldn't feel entirely comfortable doing would be the follow-up with the interviewer. I think (personal opinion) that makes you look a bit desperate and if you've gone through an agency then that's ok if you let the agency know how you've gone and let them feed it back to the employer but I'd never do it directly (but then, maybe I should have).

With several interviews lined up, I read this book and prepared answers. The first interview was unstructured and although fine, I lost out to someone with the exact skillset required. The second interview was a competency based one and I got offered the job. The key was having answers or techniques to answer their questions. Obviously it helped that my skillset matched.

This is fast becoming the defecto interview technique which is a shame because it can be beat by someone who prepared or is just great at interviews. It's a technique that doesn't reward skillset or necessarily the ability to get one's personality across. I actually think an unstructured interview would reveal far more and not just reward those who are good at interviewing.

Ultimately, I think this book helped to focus my mind. I don't think my answers in the past were a million miles away.

Prepare. Spin. Deflect. Be positive. These are the take home messages.

5.0 out of 5 stars The eye opener, 18 Feb. 2012
I have got this book from a friend who, with her handicap, is rather successful in her career. She told me that this is the best book she came across and she has plenty of literature on the subject.

The reason I have read the book is very similar to the other reviewers - I had plenty of interviews and no offers. Some 'interviews' were a market research by the prospective employer. The majority of those were arranged by recruiting agencies - God knows why I still talk to them when they call - what a waste of time it is dealing with them.

Looking back, I understand that I did not know about the game. I was pretty honest and reading the book I understand how I could have easily lost the game to someone who bothered to read these kind of books. I have realised how naive I was in the eyes of recruiters to be myself and answer all the questions openly and honestly.

An interview is a sales pitch where you get lots of questions and sales was not my best strength however I work on it daily. Some people go like a rocket in the organisations - in four years from a graduate to executive and some move around. The majority, like myself, stay loyal and dream career success for the next year, and then next and then one day you realise that you were concentrating on a job to much instead of becoming boss's best mate which is a much better strategy. A lack of a social skill is a massive handicap in those things.

This book has opened my eyes on the subject, equipped me with some good strategies, gave me examples and I am very thankful for that to my friend who lent the book and the author himself. Great read. I would like to read more insightful books on a subject of career planning.

The Interview Book: Your Definitive Guide to the Perfect Interview Technique