5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasure To Read.- Recommed Immensley
Published on 27 Aug. 2009 by Huard

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New...
Am I the only reviewer with an Amazon verified purchase? Perhaps I am!

Published on 26 Nov. 2012 by Mr. D. Carran

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasure To Read.- Recommed Immensley, 27 Aug. 2009
Huard "A Satisfied Customer" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The CV Book: Your Definitive Guide to Writing the Perfect CV (Paperback)
Again after reading another one of Mr Innes Book (Ive also read the interview book) i have found myself being amazed at how much you can learn from it. I have rewrote my whole CV and Feel very confident with what i have produced so far, the outcome and responces i have receieved has been amazing. the book is nice and easy to read and i found myself unable to put it down. I recommend this book immensley to anyone looking to have a change around of there CV.
Both Books and helped me so much.
Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - just what I needed, 28 Aug. 2009
V. Myers (Staffordshire - UK) - See all my reviews
Perfect - just what I needed, I have never really given my CV much thought before but in this market I needed something to make me stand out. This did the job fantastically - I previously thought my CV was good but this book pointed out some really good areas for improvement and I could see how much difference it made straight away - I definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great CV writing resource, 27 Aug. 2009
S. Williamson (Cambs, UK) - See all my reviews
If you need to write or update your CV, then this is a brilliant book - it has everything you need about how to structure your CV, what to put in and what to leave out. There's advice on how to deal with various problems, such as lack of work experience, or being over-qualified or under-qualified, and there are loads of tips and hints throughout. The book also covers writing CVs for jobs abroad, and for various professions where `the rules' are different, and there are real-life examples and links to online resources too. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty and informative resource, 26 Aug. 2009
Ms. K. L. Wilson (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
It's probably fair to say that the subject of CV writing isn't the most interesting but that is where I found this fantastic book to be so useful. It approaches this subject with a great sense of humour whilst presenting extremely valuable hints and tips in an easy to follow format. Throughout the book, there are some amusing little anecdotes that made me absolutely certain never to make the same sort of mistakes in my CV! And there are also valuable Top Tips, Case Studies and CV examples which have helped me to produce a CV that has got me to the interview stage more than once. The Interview Book: Your Definitive Guide to the Perfect Interview Technique
by the same author James Innes then made the ideal companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 14 April 2010
Ordered this book on the strength of the other reviews posted here, but I was a bit sceptical as I was worried about the depth of information, and that it might be full of information readily available from the internet. How wrong I was!

In a word, this book is fantastic and I am really glad I bought it. As I was reading the book the information James Innes gave made perfect sense. I have bought other CV books and this is by far the best. Easy to understand, practical and an enjoyable read (!)

Along with the information from the book and by modifying one of the free templates (on the accompanying website) I have made a CV which looks amazing and highlights all the right bits, and a CV which I am proud of.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to anyone looking for help with their CV.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE CHANCE to get your foot in the door!, 3 Sept. 2009
S. Ingemansen - See all my reviews
I originally purchased this book - having relocated from the US - for personal use. I needed an excellent resource to tailor my CV and further develop my career to fit the UK market, and I found just what I needed here. I am an Employment Coach by profession and have written hundreds of CVs, both for clients in other countries and those looking for employment in the UK. Upon purchasing The CV Book, I found it to be extremely useful in terms of standardized (correction - standardised) UK CV requirements, especially `The 15 most common CV writing mistakes - and how to avoid them!' section. So, I decided to order a 2nd copy for work purposes. (And yes, I have successfully found employment!)

I run CV writing workshops as part of my job and encourage the individuals I coach to utilise the wide array of free templates provided in the book and on the website. I also use the various pro formas when I am compiling CVs and covering letters for my customers. I have to say that this is the most comprehensive book I've come across when dealing with clients from a wide range of professions - exactly the type of customer base I happen to work with. This is now my CV writing bible, so to speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intuitive view on writing the perfect CV., 10 Feb. 2010
Stan Chatwin (Southampton) - See all my reviews
The CV Book is easily the best book I have seen on the complex subject of CV writing, I thought my CV was pretty good, I had spent a long time compiling the information and setting out to what I thought a good format, having now been out of work for two years with only a handful of interviews I decided a re-format was the way forward.
The CV Book with many examples has allowed me to understand what constitutes a good CV from the employer's perspective in an easy to understand and logical style, so good in fact I also bought the other books by James Innes: The Interview Book and Brilliant Cover Letters.

Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars First application = Interview!, 12 Feb. 2012
I spent a whole day working through the book with the laptop putting my CV together.

I have read books before meaning to re do my CV and have never got round to it. This time I decided to do it whilst looking through the book.

The book is very easy to read and quick to put the information into action. There is nothing that is not relevant to putting your CV together, nothing to do before actually writing your CV. Books I've tried to use before get you to draw tables, put together lists etc before you even get down to doing the CV. Too much hard work for me and I have never actually got round to doing the CV.

The book covers hard copy, email and faxed CV's, along with covering letters and sending your CV to companies that may not have a position advertised at the moment.

After using the book to do my CV I sent it to a friend who works in recruitment, she showed a recruiter in her company and they said it was a strong, professional CV. I sent the CV the same weekend in application for a position and I've been short-listed! I am trying to change careers so to be short-listed for a position using my new qualifications is amazing and I can only put it down to the book and the advice it contains.

If you're looking for a new job and your CV needs work then this book will be the best investment you'll ever make. Everything you need to start you're search is contained within.

5.0 out of 5 stars I now have a really attractive CV!, 24 May 2010
This book is an excellent resource if you want to update/ create a new CV. It takes you through all the basics from typeface to paper type and to the more detailed writing style and CV layout. It is very easy to follow and is very well written(and quite funny in some places)and I'm very happy with the way my CV has turned out with the help of this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New..., 26 Nov. 2012
Mr. D. Carran "I Shot The Deputy!" (Southport, Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
Am I the only reviewer with an Amazon verified purchase? Perhaps I am!

I really wanted a book to spruce up my CV but with this I found nothing new, I feel its just a collection of common domain principles that you already know, also often it directs you to the users site, with links to help you out and let you get the most out of the book. It is good that it caters a little bit about looking for a position abroad I suppose but all that is needed is copies of all your qualifications and more information.

I found a few of the links don't work. Also for me, where I wanted to get the number 1. amazing whatever to help me write a scientific CV I felt the book presented the obvious and did not help that much. The best book I have read and believe to be amazing at helping you dust up your CV and find work is Get The Job You Really Want as this is crammed with novel ideas that you haven't given a thought to.

The one good thing I learnt from this book is to list your jobs with the year only, this makes your CV look more fluid so I give Mr. James Innes credit for this as I have not seen this elsewhere.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The CV Book: Your Definitive Guide to Writing the Perfect CV
The CV Book: Your Definitive Guide to Writing the Perfect CV by James Innes (Paperback - 30 July 2009)
Used & New from: £3.19