5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 April 2003
This book indeed clearifies a lot. It makes quite complex concepts very transparant and easy to use in practice. The difference between cash flow and profit, the relationship between ROI and ROTA, just to name a few, are well explained in a non-specialist language without being simplistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making the numbers come to life., 30 Oct. 2009
C. J. Parkinson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Key Management Ratios (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
A wonderful book if you want to understand financial terms. What really impressed me was the way that the explanations go beyond simple definitions, and bring the numbers to life. I had to study basic finance at college years ago, but this book has given meaning to what I learned then. It's easy to read, although you might want to spend a fair bit of time digesting each chapter. The examples are very helpful, and the layout and presentation make it a delight to read.
I wish this book had been around years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Swallow, 2 Feb. 2006
Despite being in Programme Management, I have avoided financial text books as being dull and inpenetrable.
Finally realising that I had better knuckle-down and get my head round the financial short-hand, I quickly looked for a book.
As soon as I picked this up the information was leaping off the page into my brain, and it was actually interesting.
The excellent layout, with many clear diagrams, with pages of text opposite the visuals, enables you to absorb the information from many angles. Making assimulation and retention of the material a breeze.
Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear, 10 Feb. 2009
Fraser (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Exceptional introduction into Accounting ratios. Excellent diagrams and a consistent, clear and well-structured layout throughout. Will come in use for any high-level analyst and serves as a great reference book for the more senior practioner.

The 2003 paperback edition was so good that the only thing changed in the 2008 version was the glossy cover!!

A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !!!!!!!!!!, 25 May 2003
Really excellent! One can see clearly that this book has been written based on questions from the classroom. Most topics are extremely well covered. I have red this book with pleasure because I had the impression that it took me on a voyage rather than a dull course. Congratulations to the chef .

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely refreshing!, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Key Management Ratios (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
I love how this book seems to de-complicate financial topics with ease. For months I have been searching for a book which guides you step by step through the whole process...and none do it better than Ciaran Walsh.

I originally thought this book would just be a list of final ratios with the calculations given for each one. Much to my surprise and delight, it was much more than that. Ciaran walks you through the basics of cash flow, balance sheets and P&L, with useful ratios applied to each, with sound advice provided throughout. Once you have gained an understanding of the basics, she then progresses into more complex territory like Shareholder Value Added (SVA) & Acquisition Analysis and all the ratios that accompany them.

By the end of the book, you feel like you have a real grasp on financial statements and key management ratios that you can make decisions on!

Having read a few investment books in the past, this one defiantly stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of understanding accounts & value drivers. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 Mar. 2004
Found exactly what I was looking for. Don't need any other book now on this topic

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to understanding ratio analysis, 21 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Key Management Ratios (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
An excellent, easy-to-understand guide to analyzing companies via financial ratios.
A good book to use as a reference, but also great for people who have no prior background in doing ratio analysis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant introduction to financial management, 26 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Key Management Ratios (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
To be honest I never liked finance very much - I thought it was boring and difficult. I'm not great with numbers. This book, however, has converted me - I really enjoyed reading it. It is much more than a book about ratios. It goes back to basics for the numerically challenged and assumes very little knowledge. I've looked at many balance sheets before but to be honest until I read this book I did not really know what I was looking for. Now I do. This is easily the best book I've read on finance full stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class book, 27 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Key Management Ratios (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
I bought the travel edition at Heathrow Airport and frankly I have barely put the book down since I opened it.
It is clear, readable and easy to understand. The layout of the text and diagrams is superb.

As someone who qualified many years ago with Spicer and Peglar books which in the main were solid narrative, the books of today
must make studying for a professional qualification a sheer pleasure.

Congratulations to the author for writing this book

Key Management Ratios (Financial Times Series)
Key Management Ratios (Financial Times Series) by Ciaran Walsh (Paperback - 9 Oct. 2008)