5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good
Published on 3 Feb 2008 by R. Mccarthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Attempt
Would not recommend this book to non-specialists looking for an overview of Accounting & Finance. It is a tedious read and the examples are unclear, split across pages and jump from one stage to the next without proper explanation. Not a very helpful book at all.
Published on 23 May 2005 by Mac

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 3 Feb 2008
R. Mccarthy (London UK) - See all my reviews
I disagree with the other reviews. It's title says it all. The book covered a four week segment of an on-line course I am doing. To me it covers all of the areas in an informative and understandable way. It is not intended to be a bookeepers bible therefore does not go into detail of "T" accounts. Combined with good teaching, research and discussion it will certainly enable non-accountants to get a grasp of the subjects of accounting and finance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Attempt, 23 May 2005
Mac (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Only the very basics, 3 Mar 2004
G. Slessor (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
Having recently completed a six month accountancy course, with this book as the primary text I can only recommend it to those with no prior grounding in the subject and studying at a very basic level.
It provides the very basics required to compile cash flows, profit and loss accounts and vertical balance sheets but is not sufficiently in depth to be of major use in the analysis of real world company financial statements or indeed to create ones own.
It would benefit greatly by expanding into the use of T-accounts, double entries and more thorough consideration of the horizontal balance sheet method.
That said it is saved from being a two star book by merit of a good chapter on the basics of investment appraisal and some excellent worked examples.
Overall rather dry and recommended only to those with no prior experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the purpose, 16 Sep 2007
Ignore everything everyone else has said about this book. The title says that the target audience are non-specialists and as a non-specialist this book gave me a fantastic introduction to accounting and finance. The authors live up perfectly to their task and give enough detail for a beginner like me to get a good grounding in accounting and finance. Their writing style is uncomplicated (very easy to follow). At the end of each section I felt that I have gained in understanding the subject. Other books which I will acquire afterwards will give more detail and be more in-depth. This book can be judged by its cover and I recommend it highly to non-specialists, especially beginners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Accounting and Finance for Non-Specialists (Paperback)
This book suited me to the ground. I can safely say I'm a non specialist in finance and accounting and the very thought of it put the fear of god into me. Thankfully I found this book and it wasn't long before I not only began to understand how important it is to know your sums when it comes to business but actually applying the teachings in the real world. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars understandable, 27 Mar 2014
I really learnt a lot from this book and help me to understand the accounting and how to prepare the financial sheets

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for beginners, 12 Nov 2013
I bought this book as a required course literature. I would say it's pretty good if you have no background knowledge. The writers exhibit clear ideas and good reasoning. But it is indeed, as indicated in the name, for non-specialists because the content is quite shallow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, great price, 13 July 2013
Ms. S. J. Mullins "inter8ball" (bath, eng, uk) - See all my reviews
Book is full of information, has been a huge help on every module so far. Everything is broken down in to simple chapters

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 15 Mar 2013
This book is very good and easy to understand. The excerises at the end of each chapter do really help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice entry book for people with no previous experience on accounting, 25 Feb 2013
P. Apostolopoulos "papo2000" (Athens,Greece) - See all my reviews
My background is IT and I had to study accounting during my MBA course. I was a bit afraid of the overall process in general, it proved to be much simpler that I thought. The book is a great start and I really liked the simple and concise examples.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Accounting and Finance for Non-Specialists
Accounting and Finance for Non-Specialists by Eddie McLaney (Paperback - 24 Jun 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01