5.0 out of 5 stars Jurgen Wolff's Great FOCUS
Published on 11 May 2008 by Mr. O. J. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but nothing new.
If you are completely new to techniques like "SMART" goal setting and the 80/20 rule then this book is a nice, easy reading introduction to the subject. If not it may serve as a refresher but nothing more in my view.
Published on 24 Aug 2008 by VMax Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Jurgen Wolff's Great FOCUS, 11 May 2008
Mr. O. J. Williams (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
As a producer I often lose a lot of time on the business (and often, arduous) side of filmmaking. So far then I have found FOCUS to be just the ticket for getting my mind into gear and speeding things up. Most helpful (to me) so far have been the chapters `How to (Finally) Overcome Procrastination' and `How to Use the Alter Ego Strategy'. Wolff is also a hypnotherapist, which I guess informs his advice on the helpful technique of visualisation. Ordinarily I wouldn't (consciously) use my imagination for practical `day to day' issues, after all we're not really taught to do that. But that's one assumption that reading FOCUS changes.
So if you sometimes find yourself frustrated because you're not getting enough done with your time, or disheartened because you've got jobs to do that you'd prefer not to, I'd say that FOCUS definitely is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Focus your Creativity, 26 May 2008
Lucy Jago Briggs (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
FOCUS is the latest offering from Jurgen Wolff to help us get the most from our lives, whether that be a desire to write a Booker Prize Winner or training our children to clear up after themselves so that we have more time to do the things we really want to do. I have employed Wolff's techniques over the past ten years and found them both practical and inspirational - a rare quality that results in lots of creative productivity that might otherwise be wasted or, at least, less 'focused'. I found this book very easy to read, amusing and a great resource for those moments when one's brain needs a little push in the right direction. The book also ties in with Wolff's internet sites from which he runs courses, sends e-bulletins and has a range of useful resources for anyone wanting to actually get the most from their lives whatever their situation.

4.0 out of 5 stars View from a cluttered desk, 5 Sep 2008
AD Macnabb "Tony Macnabb" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
Focus is full of insights, wise counsel and practical exercises for anyone who wants to work more effectively and creatively. I'm self-employed, and its message resonates strongly with me. The old saw goes that as a freelancer you work for the best boss in the world - yourself. Jurgen Wolff knows that ain't necessarily so and that the gremlins of procrastination, information overload, lack of clarity, and old-fashioned fear are constantly stalking the freelancer's work station. He brings discipline and expertise gleaned from years working as both a successful screenwriter and NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) practitioner to this carefully structured manual, which has the bonus of a dedicated website containing video clips with contributions from other experts in the field. There are also guided visualisations - highly effective - to get your conscious and unconscious mind working in synch, so you are getting plenty of multimedia bang for your £10.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 3 Jan 2009
Ms. Elizabeth Dawber (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
WOW! What a great book. I had high hopes for it based on other customer reviews anyway but it really did exceed all expectations. Clearly defined chapters on procrastination, goals, managing time etc. Accompanied with little tasks and exercises that are all easy to do and you really discover so much about yourself and the way you do things. Excellent advice for everyone, you don't have to be a manager or high up in a business to put the information in this book to good use. I'm a wannabe novelist struggling with procrastination while taking time off work and every single example and tip given felt like it was specifically aimed at me while also being able to be applied to almost any situation.

I also love the fact that there is a section on how to influence other people and how to deal with positive, negative and polarised people. Everything was so relevant and i found myself putting the people i know into categories so i know how best to deal with them.

I recommend reading the whole book over the weekend and then when it comes to monday you'll have a recipe for success, people really will be amazed at how efficient you are. Because you write down notes and your goals as you go along you can then dip in and out of the book so you keep yourself motivated and on target. But also at the end of the book it sums up everything so if you want a quick over view just to get you back on track then its excellent.

From the book i have already drawn up plans, to do lists and clear focused goals in manageable chunks all with the aim to have my novel finished and published by the end of the year and it doesn't seem daunting at all. I feel like i have a life coach sitting with telling me everything is fine and not to worry.

I can't stress enough how brilliant this book is. And not like the other books which are vague and after a week you are back to your old habits again. For under ten pounds this book has done more for me than a workshop/course/life coach put together ever could. I don't think anyone would regret spending that money on something that has the potential to change their lives. AMAZING!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you want to instill some self discipline, 16 Dec 2008
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
I found myself staring at a blank screen when I sat down to write a book on marketing earlier this year and went onto Amazon for some inspiration and found this book. But I have only just got round to posting a review. It is a very useful book that once read stops you from procrastinating and actually makes you get on with what you have got to do.

It gives you some good ideas on how to set deadlines and stick to them as well as how to manage other people who may be stopping you from achieving what you want to. The other good thing about the book, is that at the end of every chapter there is a link to the focus website where you can download more tools and articles to help to keep you focused.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Focussed Life, 14 Jun 2009
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
A very useful book that provides an antidote to the crazy business of modern life. An engaging easy to read book full of practical tips on developing a more focussed and productive life.

Chapters cover focus on goals, overcoming barriers to focus, successful time management strategies. The best part of the book is the many practical and fun tools/techniques to make sure you stay focussed on what really matters to you, and deliver to deadlines. You can forget bulky leather bound time management binders. My favorite is the alter-ego strategy, where you can ask Atilla the Hun for ideas on prioritisation!

This is a great introduction to the topic and should be widely applicable to a very wide range of different roles; whether you are a high powered executive dealing with information overload or a hard working parent juggling an overful diary or indeed a pocrastinating author.

Its strength is in describing the focussing strategies, it is perhaps less strong in this reviewer's eyes on how to set inspirational goals* which should be the source of focus. However, this does not diminsh its value as the book does not set out to be all things to all people, indeed it is focussed in its aim which is what you would expect!

<strong>Recommended as a great introduction to the topic.</strong>

If you enjoyed this book then I would also recommend that you may like to take a look at an elearning package entitle Achieving Focus by sparrowmc.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but nothing new., 24 Aug 2008
VMax Dave (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
I also disagree with not putting a time expectation on a goal for fear of negativity if one fails to meet it; life isn't all positive and fluffy and I feel this book fails to address that.

5.0 out of 5 stars An adventure in Focus, 10 Jan 2010
Stephen Green (Uttoxeter, Staffs. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
Jurgen is a great writer with a range of good techniques that are well explained and effective. Like any book of its type it is no good just nodding as you read and saying to yourself "yes he is right". These strategies need to be put into action. For anybody who is new to this type of book this differs from the American "how I dun good" type of book which can sometimes reflect the authors ego. It is written precisely to allow the reader to put focus and direction in their lives. Jurgen also supports his work with a website and with courses that he runs so that you can get maximum benefit from the book. The book once read is well structured to dip into for quick reference. The fact that you are reading this and other reviews shows that you are methodical in choosing to spend your valuable time reading only the best books. This book is fluff and ego free and will deliver for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book certainly got me focussed!, 26 Mar 2010
Robert Ashton (www.robertashton.co.uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
I'm one of those people who muti-tasks to the point where on some days, nothing actually gets done. This book was a gift and initially viewed with some cynicism. But, it has to be said, even for someone as easily distracted as me - it held my attention right the way through. What's more I'm now finding myself better organised - it's like the book installed a 'focus virus' in my brain whilst I was reading.

Why not buy a copy and see if it can do the same for you?

5.0 out of 5 stars A self-help book that actually helps, 1 Dec 2009
This review is from: Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking (Paperback)
All I can really say about the book is that if you use the techniques and tips it recommends that you will manage your time much better.

I particularly liked the alter ego strategy ( which i haven't seen anywhere else) and the ideas on how to actually overcome procrastination.

It's very easy to read and doesn't have the "fluff" normally found in these types of books.

Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking
Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking by Jurgen Wolff (Paperback - 22 April 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01