5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read
Published on 10 Sep 2008 by SC

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but you have to do the spadework!
This book is split into two sections; the first deals with lifelong confidence, the second deals with specific issues, like job interviews, or conversation.
Published on 30 Jan 2009 by Sherlock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 10 Sep 2008
This review is from: Confidence: The Art of Getting Whatever You Want (Paperback)
I bought this book a few weeks ago and its already helped me to make some changes, specifically altering my mindset and dealing effectively with set backs. That's not to say its been a quick overnight fix, in fact its taken time and commitment and the author reiterates this himself throughout the book! I like his style - its very direct and to the point but still motivational to encourage you to start taking action in improving your confidence.

There's a good level of theory on NLP and positive physcology without being too technical and then at the end of each chapter it has really effective exercises to get you started.

I'm about halfway through the book now and can honestly say its definitely been worth the time and money I've invested so far...

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Source of Support and Inspiration, 9 Sep 2009
I bought this book a few months before my wedding. I found this to a HUGE source of inspiration and an absolute rock of support. CONFIDENCE is written in a very easy to read, light hearted, manner, and really addresses everything you would want it to address.
No matter what you are looking for, to gain confidence as a person, for business, in your personal life or just to better yourself as a human being, CONFIDENCE has everything you need.
I also dropped a line to Dr Yeung and was totally bowled over when I received a reply, and a very personal indication how I could use the book to my advantage. By pin-pointing the sections that would be most helpful to me I was able to focus on the techniques and words Dr Yeung had written, and it helped me beyond words.
I will always dip into this book and recommend it to anyone. It will be one of the best buys you will make. I even had someone read over my shoulder on the train and ask what it was as they felt they needed to buy it, just from the small section they read on their journey.
BUY THIS BOOK! It's really an absolute inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Immediate results!, 7 April 2009
Mr. Scott Burden (UK) - See all my reviews
I started reading (or should I say doing) during a weekend. I was blown away by the power of a certain technique in the book that allows you to get your negative thoughts on paper, and then objectively break them down with rational arguments. What you are left with are positive beliefs.

I got immediate results. I walked into an internal sales meeting on Monday morning that I normally dread. 'Confidence' allowed to view this meeting as an opportunity to impress rather than a threat, and I was tangibly more successful as a result.

It has already made a difference to me after 5 days!

As a sales person, this is powerful stuff. But the great thing about it is you can apply it to any aspect of your life and see the benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome addition to the confidence-building toolkit, 5 May 2009
MGB (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Rob Yeung's book embraces the proverb that every man is the architect of his own fortune and sets out to help us design the blueprint for a more fulfilling life.

It's brimming with confident language but potential readers can be reassured that its approach is systematic, allowing the foundations to be put in place first. Gentle progress is encouraged before we go on to build our winning-minded attitude.

As a fan of the BBC's How to Get Your Dream Job which Yeung presented some years ago, I'm pleased to see that this psychologist and coach remains a firm advocate of the focus-on-our-strengths-not-weaknesses school of thinking. Given that we are conditioned throughout our lives by twice as much negative as positive feedback, Yeung's process for exploring our talents and strengths is a confidence booster in its own right. This is a great starting point from which the book delivers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but you have to do the spadework!, 30 Jan 2009
Rob is honest enough to say that you won't become confident overnight, and you have to do a lot of exercises to pinpoint exactly what it is you want, and more importantly, what you are going to do to achieve your goals.
There are a lot of pen and paper 'workouts', so it's worth buying a journal as you work through the book.
I've only read it once, and remembering all the techniques is a little difficult, even though acronyms are used.
As a reviewer pointed out earlier, the book is badly in need of an index.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!, 27 Feb 2009
I was about to purchase Paul McKenna's book when I noticed this title and having been impressed by Rob's regular column in the ICAEW magazine I decided to purchase this. Im so glad that I did.
The book is written in a very straight-forward and helpful style, the exercises are well explained and it covers many different situations which Im sure many people will be familiar with. It almost feels as if Rob is talking to you in a comforting voice.
The information is backed up by research and theory (thankfully, not too much of it), so you also learn how your mind works and how your thinking shapes your future.
My only warning to people is that you will have to put the effort in to DO the exercises to obtain the benefits and not to expect overnight results. But by taking the small steps as suggested, you will alter your thinking for the better.
A fantastic investment which you can refer to again and again, especially the situation-specific sections (eg, Presentations) which you can refer to when necessary in the future to boost your confidence for a specific situation.
I would recommend taking notes as you read it as there is a lot to remember, but you only need to write about stuff relevant to you. Then you can refer to the notes regularly (eg, once a few weeks) to remind yourself of the exercises and theory to keep you brimming with confidence.
I really cannot fault it - I only hope that one day Rob writes Advanced Confidence... if there is such thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Middle-brow, upbeat and refreshing, 6 Sep 2008
K. Duignan (Croydon, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Rob Yeung comes across as a thoughtful, observant gentleman with a constructive, down-to-earth approach to coaching readers.

One of the positive features that sets this book apart from other well-written applications of psychological research is the breadth of social situations that Rob Yeung dissects deftly. Whether you want to boost your confidence about job interviews, dating, public speaking or getting fit(ter), this book is likely to offer you something fresh to think about.

He writes with the authority of an intelligent researcher who takes the trouble to think of attractive ways of conveying messages so you find them credible and memorable. In this regard, his use of case study stories about others, gently provocative questions, anecdotes about his own experiences and behaviour as wel as mnemonics (such as 'STRAIN'as in 'Taking the STRAIN out') make the gentle edge of the challenges he sets out not only acceptable but stimulating.

The only important flaw is a matter for the publisher, for the next edition: a book as conceptually rich as this needs an index.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put in!, 28 Jan 2009
I bought this book about a month or so ago as even though I think I can be a pretty confident person, I thought I could improve my confidence in presenting to larger groups of people and also define my goals in life a little better.

My job is presenting every day which I am comfortable with - but put me infront of larger groups and I get very scared! I had to present to my whole sales team this morning which is about 80+ people and I was absolutely petrified at the thought of it all weekend. Nobody is at their best at 8.30am, its a very tough crowd & the thought of presenting to all my managers and their managers managers made me feel physically sick!

So last night I used the Facade technique and this morning I used the breathing techniques, the warm ups for my mouth and I made sure that I only thought positive thoughts, visualised a positive outcome etc - and my presentation went even better than I hoped it would.

In fact when I got up there I was hardly nervous at all and people kept coming up to me all day saying that I did the presentation really well. I would definitely recommend this book and I will continue to use all the techniques that I have learnt.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life..., 2 Sep 2008
John P (London, UK) - See all my reviews
As a business consultant, I manage a large team of people and I am constantly in client meetings. But underneath the successful exterior, I had nagging doubts about my future -- where I'm going and what I want in life.

As it happens, last month I had to catch a train and went to W H Smith where I saw this book on special offer. My train journey ended up being delayed but I barely noticed, so engrossed was I in the book. It has offered a completely new perspective and has clarified my core values and ambitions. I now feel like I have the road map to finding success in professional circles but also to FEELING successful.

So, in short, buy this book. You will be surprised how much it can help you. I've never bought this kind of book before but here's what I think: if you read this one, it will be your last. Because it WORKS. Or as they say in that Ronseal advert: It Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expensive seminars or workshops, 21 July 2008
A few months ago, I attended an expensive seminar in the US that was based around building confidence in your career and personal life. I had high hopes that it would provide me with the insight I needed to kick-start my life. But it was boring, complicated, pressured and I left feeling even more confused and stressed (even tearful).

Little did I know that the answers I needed were here, in this small yellow book. Buy it, read it -- you'll feel better about yourself, your life path and the world around you. What's to lose?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Confidence: The Art of Getting Whatever You Want
Confidence: The Art of Getting Whatever You Want by Dr Rob Yeung (Paperback - 15 July 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01