5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' book for anyone involved in strategy
Published on 2 Mar 2010 by Alan Wingrove

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but terrible online content
I ordered this book as part of my Masters in Business Administration course. The book is neatly structured, mainly separating subjects in three main parts: Strategic Positioning, Strategic Choices and Strategy in Action.

Published on 10 Sep 2008 by pmdci

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' book for anyone involved in strategy, 2 Mar 2010
Alan Wingrove (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book, initially only by Gerry Johnson and Kevan Scholes, is like the Bible of corporate strategy. From a readability point of view it's not the book for a good holiday read, but as a reference book for anyone involved in developing or implementing strategy then it's a `must have' book. The addition of Richard Whittington to the author team adds a humanistic dimension and there are, as always, significant additions compared to earlier editions.

Throughout the book there are a number of knowledge checks, so that you can check your understanding of what you've just read and the addition of the DVD and web page really enhance this experience. The authors take you through a chronological build up of the complexity of strategy formulation and cleverly use their case studies, so that you can apply the practical application of what you've learned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great book, 16 Oct 2009
Kira Larsen - See all my reviews
This is a great book with a lot of resources in it, with the book there comes a dvd and a web page where you can test you own learning, witch is very good. there is a lot of practical examples, and case studies, so that you can see the theory in practice. There is also small assessments in the book, that will make sure that you are learning the thing you are suppose to. the only negative thing that I can say about this book, is that it goes to much in details, but overall a very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, 11 Oct 2010
Hans Ledegen (Europe) - See all my reviews
During my Msc. of Management eduction, now 12 years ago, I used an older version of this book. This one is better because it provides a more concise overview of the material and highlights in a much more better way the important topics of strategy. It is not only a theoretical book but a lot of illustrations make the material to be become more understandable.
I bought it for this reason and I must say, I am very happy with it. It now comes together with a free internet acces for 12 months for further exercises and explanations. You will not regret if you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book for 'Business Strategy' students, 16 Oct 2008
I bought this book only for one reason - to pass an upcoming June 2008 ACCA Paper P3 'Business Strategy' exam. And I did! I had only 9 days allocated for this paper so my only hope was this book. Its language is very understandable, though sometimes I felt that material is too much detailed (maybe because I hadn't much time).

With the book you receive access to an online content. At that time the content was incomplete and was partly lacking business case scenarios, but the tests module was perfect. For every chapter you have many multiple-choice questions and all your answers and results are being recorded. So you can easily see where an improvement required. Also you have an option to download mp3's summarizing the content of the book. You have also 'Interactive key concepts', 'Flashcards', 'Glossary', etc.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness I found this book, 14 April 2010
M. J. Deakin "deakin52" (Stafford) - See all my reviews
This book is fab. Well laid out, good use of colour on pages makes it easy to read. The content is excellent, explaining concepts and theories well and frequent use of case studies to put everything into focus. MystrategyLab looks good and I think it will be invaluable for my exam in October. I did wince when I bought it as it is expensive, but it has turned out to be well worth it. I don't think I'll need to buy anything else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but terrible online content, 10 Sep 2008

I also found the case studies presented in this book to be of great help when studying for the Business Environment module of my MBA. A matrix table presents a guide for each case study in the book and what are their main focus. For example, if you want a case study that focus on Porter's five forces, then read the TUI case study on page 619, and so on.

The book also comes with an "student access kit" to access further content online, and claims that users would have access to more than 30 "classic case studies" within the companion website.

The book is good but I must say the so called online content is a joke. You can only find the case studies that came with the book, and there are no further "classic case studies" to be found. I was particularly interested on a given business case which is mentioned in the book as available in the companion website for my dissertation, and I can't help but to feel cheated about it.

I emailed support asking for advice but I never got an answer, and I tried to call Pearson's support line but I have never received a call back or a proper answer to my query.

The experience I had with Pearson's student access kit was terrible that comes with this book, and I would warn anyone who is thinking to buy one of their books or a standalone student access kit to stay away from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploring Corporate Strategy, 11 April 2009
I started my MBA in January 2009 and this textbook was recommended for the course also, previous editions had been used for the course. Therefore, it seemed to be a tried and tested book. I considered buying a second-hand book but at the time there appeared to be little difference in price because of demand, between new and secondhand and as it transpired, previous editions. The overall quality of the book did not concern me providing it was complete. However,from what I recall at the time, none of the second handbook sellers mentioned the Student Access Kit that comes with the new book and this gives me access to the publishers on-line training, which is linked to the book. So, I am pleased that I did pay the extra because of the benefits it will give me especially when it comes to revision. If you are considering secondhand, I suggest you check first that you will get the Student Access Kit.
Textbooks are rarely exciting but this book gives me what I need for the classroom and study at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 28 May 2010
Ms. Irmina Rosa (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I have purchased this book as is very useful for one of my module I am currently doing - Business Policy & Analysis. I found this book very easy to understand and I hope to benefit out of it when writing my assignments/exams. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most parts are very good., 19 Feb 2010
Kira Larsen - See all my reviews
The book is full of good strategy analysis, the internet resources are very helpfull and if you are a student, It really makes sure that you understand the key points, the dvd is very good as well. The internet webpage and the dvd makes it mutch better. The reason why i did not give 5 stars was that I think the writter go way to mutch in details in the book,and you use a lot of time on the details, but all in one a good package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good condition for god quality product, 8 Nov 2009
A Kid's Review
This product is one of core text which is used for most university in UK. I have got this textbook in a good condition but i expect the goods would b busted during the delivering but there's nothing happen. the book is so fine n look new when handed to me..The contents in the book is useful for as postgraduate student. the explanation is quit clear and easy to understand.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Exploring Corporate Strategy: Text and Cases
Exploring Corporate Strategy: Text and Cases by Richard Whittington (Paperback - 7 Dec 2007)
Used & New from: £19.55