5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book
Actually I found this book to be a help to me when I felt really down. Yes it has common sense written on every page and no not all sections were particularly relevant to me at the time I read it... BUT... some were and I am so glad I found this book. Sometimes in life you just need a reminder of common sense to be pointed out to you. Sometimes when you are stuck then...
Published on 25 Jun. 2007 by Mr. R. Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars the most common wisdom
This book may help to note the most common wisdom. I do not think that life follows the rules of any kind. If you are beginning to understand the life, then you may look for the rules. As you get matured psychologically, you will discover that life does not follow anyone's rules. However, this book is a good start to see whether we are using our commonsense. By Vijay...
Published on 16 April 2009 by Vijay Pabbathi

1.0 out of 5 stars Trite, 16 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Rules of Life: A Personal Code for Living a Better, Happier, More Successful Kind of Life (The Rules Series) (Paperback)
I'd read other books within the Rules series. The other Rules books about work and management are reasonably good. This book, however, seems to be stretching the Rules idea far, far, far too far.

Templar has a nice writing style. The content, however, is very light. I liken the lessons from this book to having a conversation with an elderly person who is serving up stories from their childhood. 'Oooh, I remember a time back in 1936 when I...'

My main problem is that life is too complex to be distilled into a series of hard and fast rules. Far, far better advice books out there. I recommend Michael Heppell's Brilliant Life book, which provides more of a broad-based system or set of tools for enhancing life rather than definitive rules to abide by.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoughts of life, 2 Feb. 2014
thought this was a great book of thoughts and sayings ,just what I needed when things get tough at work and home .would recommend ,have done to friends and family ,great bedside book to pop in and out of

2.0 out of 5 stars States the obvious!, 26 Nov. 2006
I bought this book on the strength of other reviews, which I find are (generally) pretty reliable especially when it comes to novels.

However, I was very dissapointed to find that this book, whilst an interesting premise, is really just basic common sense and good manners.

Now having lived almost half a century on this planet, it is a sad but true cliche, that common sense isn't(apparently) all that common!

If you are an intelligent person who tries to do the best they can with the hand that life dealt them and you are reasonably content with your lot, you may find that this book a little tedious and self serving.

Towards the end I started to wonder if this guy was wanting to set up his own "cult" such was his repetition of the "Rules", which were/are good manners and common sense.

If you ( or someone you know) needs to be told what constitutes basic manners and social graces and read up some common sense ideas, then this book is for you, if like me you feel you already have those areas covered then this one is not for you.

Having read the other gushing reviews, I am worried on a number of levels lol!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, 3 Feb. 2014
The book arrived promptly, and was like a brand new one. It is difficult to see any sign of the book having ever been opened. Absolutely excellent purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 6 Nov. 2013
Ms. K. Price "kezzap" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this on a friend's recommendation, however it's just not my thing and I became bored very quickly, sorry :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars I was wondering how it was done...., 23 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This is a very engaging book that makes you look at life slightly edge on and with a wry smile. There are a lot of 'I knew that' moments in it but it still haunts, still resonates, still makes you stop and think.
Obviously a good selling book and I noticed his publisher has her own book out there - I was wondering how you went about it. I shall go and buy Ms Stock's book and see what tips and tricks she gives away - seems it worked for Mr Templar...now will it work for me?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Mar. 2015
Bought this many times as gifts - such a lovely book

5.0 out of 5 stars Rules is rules, 6 Mar. 2006
An excellent book in which Richard Templar shows us how smug people do it. His schtick is basically 'if you can't beat them, join them'. We all know people who are successful, sporting, witty, family-oriented etc. but we shouldn't be jealous of them. Instead, we should try to be like that too. Templar is very good on setting your own rules and mine are allowing me to make steady progress. I have five which I am steadfastly deploying when in the company of successful people.
1 Accept that money is a legitimate topic of conversation.
2 Try to use your telephone voice to move up a class notch or two.
3 Never question their virility or sexuality, even in the face of rumour or evidence to the contrary.
4 Politely agree that their children are bright, attractive and a natural focal point of their lives.
5 Try to combine maroon and grey in your wardrobe.
At the start it can seem too much like hard work, but some gentle nodding and 'uh-huhing' will ease you in. I've found it easier than expected and am now looking at promotion in work. I'm also sizing up the bootspace in a new Focus estate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and obvious, 18 Jan. 2008
I'm surprised at the brilliant reviews this book got. I'm happy that it seems many people have been helped by it, but I have to say I felt Templar was just going through the motions and milking his idea for all its worth. The book smacks of being written for the benefit of his pocket. I love the format but found the content unenlightening and quite patronising. There are more rewarding self-help books out there - but that's only my opinon obviously!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Jan. 2015
These are so thought-provoking!