5.0 out of 5 stars In My Top Three
I've read enough management books to fill an MBA course, but this is head and shoulders above most of them, and is easily one to the top three I've managed to finish. If you're wondering how to motivate a team, how to stay positive and how to inspire you'll find common sense answers here. It will give you the confidence and understanding that while we can't all be Winston...
Published on 26 Aug 2006 by Jim 8888

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical but much repeated material
If you've also read How to Manage: The Art of Making Things Happen, I'd recommend avoiding this book. It is practical, down-to-earth, pragmatic and clear. It is apparently based on research into 70 businesses. But the clue is in the subtitle: "What You Actually Need to Do to Manage, Lead and Succeed". This book is about managing, just as its sister is.

There...
Published on 14 Nov 2009 by Phil Morse

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't get me onto bankers...!, 6 Sep 2009
With this second edition comes a most refreshingly look at 'success' in its true form and sums up, for me , all the twaddle and hype one can read on leadership; 'there is no pixie dust'. I particularly found the reference to DNA most insightful; we all create our own DNA from sections of others and, in turn , we are part-copied ourselves.

Jo Owen , having extensive experience in the banking sector, takes a side swipe at the industry, a view echoed by, and for, many I am sure. I am especially respectful of his writing with his Teach First initiative; getting the best talent into challenging schools before making their fortunes in the City. If you aspire to be a leader or are in leadership , you would be wise to read this; it has humour too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, useful; not necessarily in that order, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: How to Lead: What You Actually Need to Do to Manage, Lead and Succeed (Paperback)
I got this from the library and enjoyed it so much I had to have my own copy. Entertaining, brutally honest, and accessible.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 26 Dec 2013
just what I wanted, inspiring and helpful. The book is a new slant on topics that are as old as me but still relevant to business and to motivational concepts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 May 2012
Arrived on time and with great condition. Haven't started reading it yet but I'm sure it is good. Yea, that is it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit hard going but may be useful to some, 29 Feb 2012
I got this hoping it might inspire me but to be honest I found it a bit slow going and not overally inspiring... maybe it'd suit certain people and I will try and get back into it again but I don't feel it was a life changing book unfortunately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 Mar 2011
Laurire P. Neale (UK) - See all my reviews
I flicked through this in a public library and then decided to buy it. It really is a simple but effective book that helps you understand and develop your leadership style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful summary, 8 Jan 2011
This is a great roundup of leadership thinking. The only problem is that it reads as a very workmanlike trawl: the whole thing reads like an executive summary. That's not terrible, because it makes it easy to read - but just a bit uninspiring.

Having said all that, I particularly liked the division of the book into three, contrasting the skills you need starting out, in middle management and at board level.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant & practical book, 23 Sep 2010
This is a brilliant book, written by someone who has vast experience of organisations, management and leadership, and who is able to summarise his experience with brevity, accuracy and humour and give very practical advice and guidance. It's like having your own coach! Jo makes the link between theory and reality, but thankfully doesn't get bogged down in the theory. I learnt the theory on my MBA so a brief re-cap is appreciated, but the value is in applying the theory to real situations, and Jo does this with style. And Jo covers a lot of stuff that isn't covered in an MBA and invents his own aide-memoires to help you deal with issues and opportunities in a rational way. The language is straightforward and very readable. I recommend this to anyone who aspires to develop their leadership skills, especially those, like me, who are not natural- or inspirational- leaders.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Lead by Jo Owen 2nd Edition, 6 Sep 2010
How to Lead by Jo Owen - Quite simply the best book I have ever read on how to lead and manage in organisations. Head and shoulders above the rest available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extemely helpful, 16 Aug 2010
Once you pick this book up you will not want to put it down; not only is it full of fantastic exmaples, techniques and observations on leadership, it is written in a way that is light, fresh, a complete pleasure. This is certainly one of the most relevant and enjoyable business books i have read. Anyone out there starting out in management read this book!!!!

How to Lead: What You Actually Need to Do to Manage, Lead and Succeed
12.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available