5.0 out of 5 stars In My Top Three
Published on 26 Aug 2006 by Jim 8888

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical but much repeated material
If you've also read How to Manage: The Art of Making Things Happen, I'd recommend avoiding this book. It is practical, down-to-earth, pragmatic and clear. It is apparently based on research into 70 businesses. But the clue is in the subtitle: "What You Actually Need to Do to Manage, Lead and Succeed". This book is about managing, just as its sister is.

There...
Published on 14 Nov 2009 by Phil Morse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars In My Top Three, 26 Aug 2006
This review is from: How to Lead: What You Actually Need to Do to Manage, Lead and Succeed (Paperback)
I've read enough management books to fill an MBA course, but this is head and shoulders above most of them, and is easily one to the top three I've managed to finish. If you're wondering how to motivate a team, how to stay positive and how to inspire you'll find common sense answers here. It will give you the confidence and understanding that while we can't all be Winston Churchill, Alex Ferguson or Billy Graham, we can still lead effectively and powerfully in our own way.

There's not many books, never mind business books, that I finish and immeadiately want to start again, but this is one of them. It's easy to read, employs an enjoyable dry wit and knocks the galloping balderdash of so many American development gurus into a cocked hat. Read and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing. Really., 30 Jun 2006
H. Lewis "JellyReader" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've read just about every business book there is. I love them. This book, however, stands out as one that I would totally recommend to anyone in a management postion - or anyone who wants to be there. Practical advice abounds, as does humour. It's very honest about the challenges of work, of leading a team and the snippets of wisdom are priceless. Put it like this - I've been buying stuff on amazon for years and this is the first review i think I've written! I've just started a job leading a small team and this book is helping me cope with all the new challenges it brings. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book to end all Books on Leadership, 18 Mar 2005
I am tired of reading business books that do not lead to action, are full of cliches, and which are not related in any way to reality. How to Lead is a refreshing, humorous and highly practical guide (as the title suggests) to this topic earthed in real experience, full of insights into what works and what does not, without being patronising and without celebrating 'The [one and only] Way' to success - a trap which I find too many books in this genre fall into. The other great message of this book is that leadership can be learnt by almost everybody, and you don't have to be a CEO of a stocklisted company with an MBA and the right parents to be one, or be a charismatic visionary freedom fighter either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, practical book, 18 Jan 2009
S. Gale "Stephen Gale" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed reading this book and it has lots of useful guidance and advice. The book looks at leadership from three different perspectives: from someone just starting out as a leader, for an experienced leader, and then finally for someone at the CxO level. This provides an interesting perspective. While the role of the leader essentially remains the same, their day to day behaviour maybe different depending on their level. While this approach is novel, it is also a little bit of a limitation since few readers are likely to be interested in leadership at all 3 levels (I left the CxO level until a later date!). But like all books, you should read and use the elements that are relevant to you. Plus many of the themes are the same across all three levels.

The three common themes that run through the book are: focussing on people, being positive and being professional. While these are not surprising, it is interesting to not how many business leaders (at all levels) somehow manage to lose sight of these basics.

The work is based on grounded research about what traits make a good leader. This is refreshing and lends creditibility to the book's advice and guidance. I am sure that any aspiring or practising leaders will be able to get useful information out of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical but much repeated material, 14 Nov 2009

There are subtle differences only. It's true that it is possible to "lead" when you're not even a manager, but it's also true that many managers in businesses nowadays are expected to make things happen with little real power, so what's the difference? Not too much as it turns out.

I'd say own one or the other. they're both good, but for me, just not different enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent really accessible book!, 31 Jan 2009
This is an excellent book which distills the essence of what it takes to be an effective leader into one very readable volume. Very well structured it covers the three stages of the leadership journey: foundation, middle and top management under 3 main themes: people-focussed, professional and positive. With good clear succinct explanations of familiar principles such as effective change management, motivational theory and communication etc I found it both interesting and inspiring. I read it all in less than a day. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain talking, 27 Feb 2006
John Hempsey "Nathan" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Most business book authors feel that they have to establish their credibility by filling each chapter with incrompehensible MBA jargon. Jo Owen manages to say things which you know are true in plain terms but with the authority of someone who knows all the MBA techniques.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to lead: review, 19 Jan 2011
This author starts the journey of leadership based on three principles: focusing on people, being positive and being professional. This base is created from the research carried out by the author. He excludes performance as main characteristic of a leader. Then these 3 principles are viewed through the lenses of the different levels of the leadership namely:foundation of leadership (emerging leaders), leading from the middle, and leading from the top. Frequently, CEO are seen as leaders and therefore the reader will see examples from CEOs of the world. Although there are chapters which are numbered, once the chapter starts the author follows an unstructured way to analyse the issue which leads from one matter analysis to over-analysis, thus rendering the book as one without good flow. This leads to situation where the reader might have difficulty to recall and use some quoted information

5.0 out of 5 stars Focusing on people, being positive and professional, 1 Nov 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Leadership is much talked about and little practised.When reading this book I was thinking of those leaders I have had and how they succeeded and those that I have had that have not succeeded.

The best leader I had could always be trusted and was honest and he had mastered the art of leadership

As the book will tell you it is leading from the top, focusing on people being positive and being professional.

I was interested to note that no one focused on performance.

If I had been asked , I would have said performing was an important part of leadership. If you can perform then you may have the attributes of leadership.

The book tell you that there are four possible reasons why most of our leaders do not focus on performance as a key issue. Performance may be as natural as breathing air and it is a natural result of being positive,professional and people focused in the right way.

I haven't met a person in a team that hasn't had leadership skills who wasn't also a performer. all the bad performers have no leadership skills so I suppose they are right.

If you get all the other skills right then performance will flow naturally. Leadership is a destination not a journey.

I echo one of the other reviewers in that I enjoyed reading the book and read it very quickly and I will be revisiting it regularly to teach both myself and my staff all about leadership

4.0 out of 5 stars I made to the end..., 27 Oct 2009
...and this is the good news, considering the subject.
I found many good advices which will help me lead a team of 20 I recently selected for an internet business.
As in most books of this type, what I'll remember will be the stories behind the theory, not the Acronyms or the three and a half P's which I will forget in 24 hours.
The book suffers from the fact that it has been written by a public speaker who needs to give some visual clues to the audience...and here come the far too many Acronyms for my personal taste (well..you may like them!).
I struggled to finish it but every time I wanted to give up, he gave me that little story, which helped me to continue.
Now I am left with a few real life examples of leaders and I am sure that I will make use of something of it in the future.
If you are really committed and are not looking for entertainment, go for it, and keep it somewhere you can find it, I suspect it will be useful when you get in trouble with your team.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›