on 23 January 2016
Are you a teacher, manager, parent?
The book focuses just as much on what you need to do to be a better listener, as much as it does on how you can get your point across to others. The book is not mumbojumbo new age advice. It's real, practical advice on how to communicated and how people communicate with you. The chapters are really well organized and not dense. This book is pretty cheap second hand and you can read the book over 2 weeks just spending 5-15 minutes a day with it. If you have a meeting, presentation, sales call, argument, presentation, difficult chat coming up in the next few weeks, I recommend you read this book.
on 3 November 2010
I was given this book as a present (I'm a fan of the author's No 1 book Persuasion)along with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo). The novel had to wait as i wanted to get stuck into this.

i read it over three days and already i feel like a different person. I notice the author was trained in REBT (rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy) which I have some basic knowledge of. It;s from this that the clinical CBT approaches were born. I like the way he's adapted this for the Mind Control approach to self-talk. makes it easier to adopt in everyday life.

I like the way that the text is interlaced with humour depite the subject matter being a serious one (as he did in Persuasion) - I find that very effective'. I would say that the book should be assimilated in brief sections and then when the points have been grasped - move on to the next section. Some parts of the text are more detailed than others, paricularly in the 'Tortured Mind' section, so it would pay to take some time to learn and be aware of these pointers. It was a good reminder and fascinating to learn the intricacies of how our brain's 'pharmacy' is so free in doling out those good and harmful chemicals and hormones.

I found the final Part 3 of the book very uplifting and life-changing. Having explored how our mind works and how our thoughts can sabotage us, this final part shows how we can change our life for the better just by taking control. I like the saying: 'The mind is given to us, we are not given to the mind'. Sums up the mistaken thinking of most people I guess.

I feel different already. I'm changing the way I think and this is certainly changing how I approach life. I notice the author indicates this is the last of his books as it forms the 'trilogy. I hope he writes some other books. I like his 'down to earth' style of writing on serious and important subjects. The cover of this book is also lovely - very striking. I love this book. I'm used to writing reviews of plays in the theatre. This is a new element for me - reviewing books. I'm going to get the author's other book, Body Language, which I haven't read yet. This may help me in my theatre reviews. (Dragon Tattoo will have to wait!)
on 4 September 2009
I found the book to be easy to read and comprehend. There appeared to be a lot of common sense points, yet I recognise common sense is not always common practice.

The chapters tend to flow quite well and are informative, however, I would say that some of the example dialogues provided in them are a little contrived.

I would draw the authors attention to the table on p98, showing first Mondays in a month. This shows the first Monday of August 2005 as the 8th, this cannot be and is not correct. As there are only seven days in a week, for the 8th to be a Monday so would the 1st have to be; which in fact it was in August 2005.

At the Amazon selling price I would suggest it is worth buying as it will provide a useful reference.
on 4 March 2011
Having read books like "The secret" which are also about positive thinking, I couldn't persuade my adult chilren into believing this could be life changing as I had not been very sucessful at changing my own life for the better up until when I bought "Mind Power" by James Borg at the airport on my way to Tenerife in November 2010 with my now expartner. Things were not good between us and I had been looking at moving out for my own sanity, the holiday was to be a make or break situation. Last April I had applied for social housing for the over 50's, possibly at the time for both of us, but things got worse at home and in November I was in desperation to get away, I rang my council office to be told I was 20th on the list, long time to wait, I thought I might have to look for something in private rental come the new year. On the holiday, I read the book every minute I got, it was very informative of the natural medicine/chemicals the thinking process produced in our bodies and how in turn that changes how we feel, when things make us sad somtimes we have to remove ourselves from that situation or person, the book helped me through the week we were away and helped me cope with the bad situations for thw now. As soon as we got back to Britain, driving home in the snow, 8 hours later than it should have been, I managed to keep cool with the breathing excercises and managed to remain calm. It was 4a.m. when we got to bed so I didnt get up until about 11a.m. I left him there in bed so that I could have a bit of peace. I had rung work to let them know I would be in after lunch. As soon as I came off the phone it rang, the council were offereing me a bungalow!! just what I had wanted, in a nice quiet area with a large garden, also something I had wished for, they had been trying to contact me the week before while I was away and this was their last try. I could hardly beleive my luck! I have since moved into my new home, small but perfectly formed and only big enough for 1 person so I can't be persuaded to let him move in with me, safety, thank you serendipity. The extra copies I bought from Amazon are for my grown up children, I am hoping that they will find time to read it and change their way of thinking and ultimately their lives, because it is also so medically informative and not just a "think this way" with no sound explanations behind it. There are times when I think I need to re read the book to help again with other things when I feel down and will do when I've got more settled in my new home. I will also look at "the secret" and Jack Canfield's "The key to living the law of attraction" again, and make my new wish list visual board now that I have a better understanding from James Borg's book "Mind power" of how this actually works. I dont want lots of money which seems to be behind the message of the secret, but enough to be content and want for nothing. I have seen what too much money can do to some people, there has to be contentment and gratitude for what you have and sharing with others that dont have.
on 11 April 2013
I can only say I found this book a real revelation. It's an easy read, simple and powerful - and has changed the way I think. I wish I'd read it years ago.

Highly recommended if you talk to yourself in a negative voice or aren't your own best friend.

I'm not the new-age or alternative type but this book is just fantastic.
on 17 March 2014
Having read many self help books again this is one of the better ones,
This book is in a class of its own teaching you many ways to control your mind thus making your mind serve you not the other way around,
Its all about thought,feeling,behaviour by changing the thought the next two should follow
on 24 July 2009
The world would be a happier place if everyone read this book and took heed of its advice.

A 'must read' for the professional seeking to move up the ladder in a socially acceptable manor!!

Easy read and jargon free.
on 29 July 2013
This book seems to mention topics and then give scripted conversations, you cant really use much of this information because the write can always write the response he wants to make the conversation and 'Persuasion' work.
Better off buying a book on NLP
on 19 March 2015
This book changed my mind and therefore life by putting into perspective the negative thought processes I was using without realising. It also gives mechanisms for recognising, coping and changing those patterns. Can't recommend this enough.
on 17 October 2013
I cannot stress enough how absolutely terrible this book is. Don't waste your money - there are so many other books on the market which cover this subject... I never normally write reviews but I feel that strongly - its a rip off!!