on 6 April 2005
By far the best book in the field I have ever read! It uses colour, pictures and graphics generously. It reads well. It makes the study of Strategy interesting! I used to find it such a dull subject, but Johnson & Scholes relate theory to real-life examples which are up to date with current business news. I would most certainly recommend this book to anyone, whether they are studing the subject for exam purposes or simply out of interest! The on-line features are excellent as well.
on 9 January 2006
I found this book to be invaluable during the Strategic Management module of my DMS. Not only was it informative, but it actually made the subject interesting (a course text book that is hard to put down!?!). The case studies are in themselves of interest and they relate very nicely to the concepts that are introduced. During my written assignment (which I passed easily) I drew heavily on the concepts and ideas introduced in this publication, which includes a wide variety of references from other recognised authors that I also found very useful.
Now I am studying for the Marketing module of my DMS, and this book is even helping with this, as it helps relate strategy to marketing.
I think anyone taking a DMS or MBA will find this book invaluable.
on 16 January 2009
This is an excellent text on strategy. It is readable and applies theory to practice in the form of numerous case studies of well known organisations. You could spend your time reading the numerous specialist authors on stragegy and piece their theories together or you could buy this book and read them all in one place, then move on to read specific theories in more detail, even if you need to.

The book and later editions are worth buying just for the case studies which tell you a lot about companies you will know, their challenges, choices and ultimatley thier strategic decisions. These case studies help you think much more about companies we all come across, providing a real insight into why companies do the things they do.
on 12 February 2009
This book was required for my Accounting and Finance degree. If thats your reason for you purchasing it too check the edition number. There is now a later edition AND some other books are interactive and come with a CD and internet help password. This does NOT.
Apart from that the book really helped me, easy to read and I got a First Class Hons Degree even without the interactive help. Good Luck
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2014
Helped me get a 1st in this module at Uni. Fantastic grounding in the basics of Corporate strategy.

There are some fantastic references for further reading in the back, strongly recommended.

Only issue was the price!
on 17 March 2016
An eventful, well researched book. Used primarily for my business degree but have kept it for further future reading.
on 28 August 2015