4.0 out of 5 stars Choose this book carefully
In my opinion, this book is suited for a particular type of entrepeneur. It is ideal for someone who wants to SHARE their idea, their vision, their dream and definitely NOT for the go-it-alone types. This second type of person would never get past the first couple of chapters and would certainly never understand anything he read after this anyway.
This book is for...
Published on 11 May 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Superficial and out of date
This book was worth what I paid for it - which was next to nothing!

It is a very superficial book that skims over many essential aspects of setting up a business. It lacks detail of any kind to be of any real value - something that I would have expected from it.

The book is also now very out of date - it even talk about pagers and palmtops as being...
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Choose this book carefully, 11 May 2003
By A Customer
This book is for turning good ideas into good businesses using a simple formula of building the business and sharing the workload (and the profits) along the way. If you are planning this type of business, definitely read this book at some point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trumps the Competition, 15 Jun. 2002
Robert I. Sutton "Stanford Professor and Author" (Stanford University, CA USA) - See all my reviews
After living in and doing management research in Silicon Valley for the past 20 years, my first reaction to this book was: How can Americans possibly learn anything about entrepreneurship from authors based in the United Kingdom? I was wrong. This is the most concise, complete, and engaging book you can read about how to grow a company. It is also might be the only charming book on entrepreneurship ever written. The Beermat Entrepreneur trumps the competition. Southon and West dispense with the annoying hype that fills so many management books. Instead, they give sound and useable advice about what every founder can and should do to build a great company. Not only that, this concise book is a joy to read. I teach management and entrepreneurship at Stanford University, and if I were to advise an aspiring company founder in any part of the world to read just one book, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for all new business start-ups., 7 May 2002
Having waded through several books for entrepreneurs, new business start-ups and how to run a small business, I was starting to find the reading material a bit dry to say the least. After seeing "The Beermat Entrepreneur" featured and reviewed I picked it up and was very pleasently suprised.
I found it to be a book you could read easily, yet it was highly informative and made a lot of sense. Rather than trying to blind me with science talking about nothing but legal and accounting procedures, it talked about structures with real live examples, the strengths and the pitfalls of being an entrepreneur.
I read it quickly and easily, it made sense and I have chosen to follow the principles addressed.
Definitely well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beermat Entrepreneur, 9 Sept. 2005
Lawrence Biren (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book, written in a flowing, easy to read and digest style. It's very good at getting its message across and I found it hard to put down. In fact I liked it so much I've just bought Mike Southon and Chris Wests's latest book Sales on a Beermat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to help you decide how much you want to grow, 2 Aug. 2005
S. Sinclair (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very helpful book if you want to grow your company to several million pound turnover. It will help you visualise what its like to run a business that grows to that size. This in turn will help you decide if you want to go that route.
He helps you understand why you need a start-up team of five heavyweights if you want to be big. Without that team, your business will stay small. But that's not necessarily the end of the world. If you find it impossible to give up control, or if your business idea is not big enough to support 20+ employees, or finding five heavyweights seems like too much of a commitment before you know if the business works - then stay content with a micro business.
That's what I'm doing. So on the theory espoused in the book, my new businesses won't be multi-million pound turnover. But that still means they can have a turnover of several hundred thousand pounds, and that'll do. I'm very glad I read the book, because it helped me make that decision.
Plus it was a great read. The most enjoyable aspect of the book is it has the authentic voice of experience. That means some of the tips are unexpected, which could throw you out of a rut and make you rethink your approach. For example, he advises employing friends, rather than trying to evaluate strangers (however you must accept that your friendship will suffer!). He also emphasises the importance of getting a sale very early on to establish that your idea is a runner. It seems obvious but I don't remember another business book putting the same emphasis on that.
The Beermat Entrepreneur has stuff you won't find elsewhere. You should read it even if you decide not to go for this approach.

S. Sinclair (UK) - See all my reviews
That's what I'm doing. So on the theory espoused in the book, my new businesses will only ever grow to maybe 6 - 9 staff. But a business of that size will keep me happy. I'm still very glad I read the book, because it helped me make that decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!! A business book that won't anaesthetize you...., 6 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
As someone with a strong interest in business I tend to read a fair few of these books, and get tired of content that is dryer than Rivita and complex for the sake of being complex.
This breaks a start-up down to the fundamentals of who you need, what you should do and how it should be done. The style of writing is fairly youthful and the humour (yes there is humour) usually well-placed (particularly his patent dislike of MBA's and consultant-speak). I read this very quickly and can honestly say it is helpful.
Evidently this is not a high-brow P.hd text we're talking about but the concept and it's origiuns are spot-on (we've all had that blinding idea 4 or 5 beers doen the line?).
A good read, well-written and we'll forgive the author's sales-pitch of his services at the end. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it - done it - like it, 29 Jun. 2004
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for anyone seriously interested in running their own business. I read it 2 years ago, got really inspired by the common sense practicality (and fun!) of it, but didn't quite have the guts to leave my well-paid oh-so-dull job (then my job left me so that was that!).
This is a superb book for the price - the information is worth way more than the cost of the book.
One area where you'll have to do some soul-searching, is that the core advice says you will need to create a 3-5 person team to succeed in business. If you're as independent as me, you may be reluctant to do this. However, very very few people have the full range of skills necessary to launch and manage a new business - Product Development, IT, Marketing, Sales, Finance, People Management, Admin etc etc etc. Even self-motivation can be difficult at times.
I am currently 18 months down the line of establishing my own business, and I think he's right. My successes are coming from working with others, not where I'm doing stuff on my own. So, if you want to go it alone, try and go it alone with a bunch of others you like working with! It makes life a lot easier and you a lot more successful. And if you're not sure whether you want to quit your job, just do it. Being independent is SO much more rewarding even when you're struggling.

5.0 out of 5 stars the right stuff, 26 Mar. 2002
A great, no-nonsense guide to what you really need to know to launch your own business. Full of the right stuff - customers, sales, people and planning - and gloriously free of the wrong stuff - venture capitalists, big loans, complex strategies and lemming-like rushes to flotation.
Inspiring information for those who want to build a real business with real people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, clear, no nonsense advice and quick to read., 22 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
If like me you're an ideas person with the knowledge that one day you know that one of your brainwaves will really make a difference then you should read this book.
It's not patronising, just honest and if like me you've had a business that didn't quiet work out as planned it just might help you understand where it went wrong and give you the confidence to try again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Beermat Entrepreneur Live: Audio CD (Red Audio)
Beermat Entrepreneur Live: Audio CD (Red Audio) by Chris West (Audio CD - 28 Oct. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.99