5.0 out of 5 stars An essential travel companion!, 22 Jan 2003
Tim Last (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
It's surprising how many of us interact regularly with Americans, but don't stop to ponder the differences in business culture until it's almost too late. In principle these differences are small, but have a very significant impact on the success of a relationship.
Co-authored by an American who's lived abroad long enough to have an unbaised view on the country of her birth, 'Working with Americans' provides a series of practical insights and helpful tips to ensure effective understanding, personal interactins, and results! It's a straightforward read, uncluttered by the conceptual abstractions that hinder some other books on this subject.
A valuable read for those who (intend to) work alongside colleagues or business partners from this 'youthful land of plenty,' delivered with the wit and wisdom of authors who demonstrate broad understanding of their own culture as seen from the outside. Interestingly, I've found the book is not misplaced amongst Americans themselves, who are curious to better understand how they are perceived on a worldwide basis.
A five star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gestalt Switch, 31 Aug 2002
Junglies (Morrisville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
As I write this review I have to admit that I am eating my words. Normally I am very sceptical of business books because I find a lot of them are shallow, often repeating themselves mantra-style until everyone buys in. Having read some previous titles about living and working abroad and finding them wanting, I approached this book aggressively intending to write a savage Amazon review later.
Let me tell you, I WAS WRONG. This book is great. After working with and now alongside Americans for over 16 years, this book gives me a wholly different perspective.
This is not a book for non-Americans alone. I think that everyone who is an American working with foreigners as well as everyone who comes into contact with Americans should read this. Someone, I forget who, made the remark that the English and Americans are separated by a common language. The truth is that language is culturally derived and that our cultures are different. The authors have done an admirable job in bringing this to the market.
Although aimed at those involved in business primarily, this book is extremely useful in all areas. I find that, despite having lived in the United States for over seven years, my errors are often accepted unspoken because of the politeness of my hosts, thus leading me to perpetuate them. Similarly, I am sure that I am not the only immigrant who has felt hurt and insulted by some of the things that are said to us, usually by strangers, without recognising that it is after all just business.
Working with Americans is easy to read and in an affable style. The chapters are relatively short and there are some wonderful quotes, some of which are repeated throughout the book but this is a minor quibble. It contains pages and pages of information but also provides context which is important. It is a straightforward volume but it has the greatest asset of all - it makes the reader think. And that, to me is the greatest strength of this book. It makes the reader aware of what they perceive and it allows the reader to make the switch to the other point of view which is a supremely valuable asset in both real life and business.
I enjoyed reading this book so much that I have already lent it on to other immigrant friends, not from England alas, but have also mentioned it to American colleagues who are lining up to borrow it as it is not published in the US. This fault needs rectifying.
One of the best American imports from England to America ever. My only regret is that it was not written years ago.
The authors are to be highly commended for this excellent book. I certainly think that five stars is insufficient. It is a great pity that so many business books do not even get into the same league.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's helps to see how Americans are perceived, 22 July 2003
Ed Turlington (North Carolina, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
The book is a great collection of practical advice from two experienced authors. Unlike some business books, this one is written by people who understand both Americans and non-Americans that do business with them. As an American, I learned valuable information about how we are seen by others, especially Europeans. This knowledge will help in my international business and cultural interactions. I highly recommend the book for Americans and for those doing business with Americans--even those with years of this international experience will benefit from the book's insights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it!, 6 Dec 2005
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
This book has helped many of us at American Express in Europe and the US -- it's well-written, informative and has lots of very practical advice for how to understand the American psyche in the business context.
Don't leave home without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Internationalists, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
I have been working and socialising with Americans since 1999, when I would spend time with American students in Italy, to the present, where I sit on the board of a human rights organisation.

This book condenses all the things I have learnt through trial and error (plus a few more) into a concise, well-ordered volume which identifies and explains the potential misunderstandings likely to occur in a transatlantic business relationship.

Of course, cross-cultural business is not a new phenomenon- ever since the first two tribes traded there has been a need for different cultural groups to understand that they had to allow for some differences with their trading partners- and neither is commentary on the topic. Working With Americans is however eminently readable, packed with examples of the learnings needed to cross the cultural boundaries implicit in an international business relationship and is written with humour and a strong grounding in practical experience.

Of particular interest is the information on distinct cultures within the US itself- many Europeans think of the US & Canada as being a culturally homogenous space in the same way in which many North Americans consider "Europe" or "Asia" as largely homogenous cultural units and it is helpful to understand that this is not the case. Huge variation exists between the states, within the more populous states, and even within the distinct areas of some major cities! (as anyone familiar with NYC or LA can tell you)

I would heartily recommend it to anyone who currently is, or is considering working with or doing business with Americans, as well as Americans who seek to do business outside their own country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allyson and Lanie pick up on the detail......, 12 Nov 2007
Roger M ((Yorkshire, England)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
This is a must for anyone wanting to expand their business within the US. In fact I am sure it would be of massive benefit for US business people to understand how they come across outside their own county.

I had the privilege of seeing Allyson in action and now have read the book; this has opened up my eyes to the opportunities in the US when we sell castle experiences.

Allyson and Lanie pick up on the detail, explain the culture and guide your through dealing with both USA inc. and everyday Americans.

Humorous, full of relevant quotes and of course the extended reading list, which is extensive. This has to be the first book on your reading list. I certainly feel much better informed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Americans should read this, too, 28 Aug 2006
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
As an American having lived overseas for a number of years, I can say there is a lot here that will gives key insight into how non-Americans view business dealings and other cross-cultural interactions. The info in this book should be required reading for ALL Americans - not just foreign nationals. It would greatly increase understanding of the American people overseas and help Americans understand why we see the reactions we do to our policies and behavior.It is also organized in such a way as to make it very accessible. Each chapter has tips and information that can be used immediately, but also gives background. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book which places practical advice in a bigger context, 28 Jun 2006
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
As someone who set up a business in the mid 1990s in New York, I would have loved to have had this book then. It is full of really pertinent advice, a lot of which it took me years of actually doing business with Americans to find out for myself. Well done to the authors for bringing all this information together in one place. The quotes and the cartoons help put the whole thing into context, revealing much about the American mindset. The chatty tone makes the book a very easy read, but the informality does not mean that the authors sacrifice any of the substance - there's loads in here, and it's important stuff. Their advice is concrete and practical, and, in my experience, pretty much spot on. I see the book was written in 2002, and like the reviewer below I would like to see a newer edition tackling the recent developments in the Special Relationship under Bush and Blair, and what that means for businesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the most enlightening book on cross-cultural business, 16 May 2006
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
Three cheers for these authors who reflect the true habits of American businesspeople, from their transactional-tendencies to their obsession with time and process. The cartoons are great, the humor is light, the whole book can be devoured in about 2 hours tops. Hope to see a newer version soon with their takes on globalization and Mr. Bush's effect on the view around the world of Americans, whose enthusiasm and entrepreneurialsim are infectious but whose geographic awareness is severely lacking. A great book for every road warrior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conversational, Informative & Makes a Great Gift!, 20 Jun 2002
Douglas Johnson (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working with Americans (Paperback)
Every person in business should have a copy of this book. It's extremely useful on many levels. It's an easy read, like sitting down and having a chat with a friend. There's a delightful, subtle humor in the writing and savvy comics spread throughout the chapters. This is the kind of book you keep because you'll want to refer to it often. It's also the kind of book you'll want to give--as a corporate gift (for those people who seemingly have everything--this is perfect!)

Working with Americans
Working with Americans by Lanie Denslow (Paperback - 1 Jun 2002)
15.99