4.0 out of 5 stars Two novels for the price of one
This is a re-release of two of Nora Roberts' early novels; 'Local Hero' and 'A Will and a Way', both originally written in the late Eighties. They have been repackaged in a pretty cover and are being sold as a book to entertain you in the coming winter months.

Published 10 months ago by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

3.0 out of 5 stars classic stuff
Published 9 months ago by J. Turner

4.0 out of 5 stars Two novels for the price of one, 21 Sep 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Catching Snowflakes: Local Hero / A Will And A Way (Paperback)

Local Hero is about comic book creator Mitch, who meets his new and beautiful neighbour, Hester and her son Radley and falls in love with them both, determined to win himself a family. 'A Will and a Way' is a pimped up Agatha Christie story which has less death and more sex and revolves around the feisty pairing of dramatic jewellery designer, Pandora and television script writer, Michael.

I'm telling you about what date they were originally written, not because I think it's outrageous that books can be repackaged and reprinted - it happens all the time, but because as I was reading 'Local Hero' which is the first book in the volume it struck me that the book must be quite old, and I deliberately went back to the front of the book to check when it had been written, not something I would normally do. The thing that made me check was the fact that the son of the heroine, Hester, in the book gets excited when he finds out that the male love interest in the book, Mitch, has a video recorder - and then later in the book, the hero, Mitch, buys the boy a computer, and it's a big deal because they're so new, nobody else has one.

It's funny how these little details date a book. It's also funny how in another book I wouldn't necessarily notice, but I did here because I stupidly assumed that these were new books by Roberts.

The romance genre is not something I habitually read. I used to read books like this by the bucket load in my early teens, so I am familiar with the 'rules' of romance writing. It was interesting to see how quickly I fell back into the rhythm of reading them again, and how the formula really hasn't changed.

There is nothing unexpected in either book. The hero and heroine are clearly flagged as such from the start. You know that they will meet and form an instant attraction, but it will trouble at least one of the couple because either they're not the usual type or there is an external problem which complicates matters. Despite this they cannot keep their hands off each other and become romantically entangled. Shortly after beginning to feel comfortable in each other's company there will be a problem or obstacle they have to overcome. One, if not both of them will feel that the relationship is doomed and it can never work - cue talk of how they never understood heartbreak before now. Then something wonderful happens which means they can get back together after all and they will live happily ever after.

The joy of books like these are knowing that there will always be a happy ending so even in the darkest moments you never have to worry too much - and for me there is fascination in seeing how much the writer can write within the confines of the genre that makes it fresh and readable.

Local Hero irritated me, I have to say. I found the ease with which Hester gives up her son to a total stranger to babysit rather alarming and it strained my belief just that little bit too much for me to buy into the fantasy of the rest of the book. I know that it plays out the desire that women have for a hero who is good with children and who loves single mothers and makes their dreams come true despite the fact that they have children, but it still jarred for me. As a result I would give this three stars if I were rating it as a stand alone novel.

A Will and a Way was just the most ridiculously silly novel I have read in a long time. It was basically a Hercule Poirot book but with sex and jewellery design. I did enjoy it very much for this reason, mainly because it was an interesting way to fuse two genres which rely strongly on a certain writing formula to succeed, and because it was unashamedly daft and very tongue in cheek. It was most enjoyable. I would give this four stars if I were rating it as a standalone novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts knows just how to make the heart smile..., 4 Oct 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a re-release of two earlier works by Nora Roberts (from 1986). Two full length novels in one book. They are both indicative of why she has become such a well-known and popular author.
Roberts has the gift of gab and knows how to tug the heartstrings like a violin maestro.
Local Hero
This story just made me want to cuddle up in front of a log fire with hot chocolate and some scrumptious cookies to go with the feel-good vibe.
I like the fact the characters have bagage and aren't picture perfect individuals who sail through life with the greatest of ease. Divorce, broken homes and broken families do exist and it does take a long time for the hurt to heal. The wounds a person and their children carry with them often harden them towards any new individuals that come into their life. This story is about breaking down those walls.
I was slightly surprised at the ease with which Hester let her son attach himself to a complete stranger and yet reared with reluctance at the thought of doing so herself with the exact same person. Then again the story was written in the 80s in a time when not every stranger was considered a danger.
A Will and a Way
What is better than a little old russian matchmaker? A well meaning quirky dead uncle matchmaker of course. Who better than to scheme and devise a way to ensure the two people he loved the most end up as a couple. Just a few problems with the execution though. First of all they don't really like each other and secondly the gazillions of cash they just inherited has painted a big fat bullseye on their backs.
Overall I would recommend this book to readers who are looking for something that may bring a smile to their face and a spurt of warmth to their heart.
I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher.

3.0 out of 5 stars classic stuff, 26 Oct 2013
J. Turner (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was given this book to review, and I have to say, it's pretty good. It's a re- release of two of Nora Roberts earlier novels: 'Local Hero' and 'Where there's a Will'. In the first novel, comic book writer, Mitch, has a pretty new neighbour, respectable bank manager Hester, who has a young son. Mitch attempts not to fall for her, she attempts to freeze him out, but Fate has other plans! A gentle ride on the rollercoaster of romance, there aren't too many obstacles placed in the way of true love, but it's nicely done. The characters are realistic, the plot chugs along and the hooks are all there to keep the reader just interested enough to keep on reading to the end. There's even a dog! In the second of the pair, Pandora and Michael find themselves thrown together by the machinations of their (deceased) uncle. United by a common cause, which you'll have to read the book to find out more about, they have to put aside their differences and work together to unravel a mystery. Slightly more 'high end' than the first book - he's rich and so is she - it is still a fun read, the characters slightly less believable, but cracking plot and enough gentle thrills to keep you interested. There's a dog in this one too. In both stories, Roberts displayed the early talent which makes her stand out head and shoulders over other romance writers, and which she has honed to a fine point as her latest novels (especially those under the name of JD Robb) testify. A heart warming book for the festive season, stock up on wine and chocolate and sit back and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Catching Snowflakes - Two Tales to Cosy Up With, 29 Sep 2013
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If a lover of the old fashioned black and white movies with nice endings and the ones where the woman gets the man, this is a read for you. Now if special dressing, ropes and other forms of punishment are your cup of tea this may not be the read for you. This really is a nice comfortable read that you know from the outset will end the way in which you had hoped.... Nicely with no bad endings, yes, there maybe a few hurdles but ultimately a good ending which is one of the reasons that I used to like reading these sort of reads back in the late 80's.

Two tales in this nicely decorated book makes you wish that the festive period would come that bit quicker.... To really enjoy the two tales, certainly one to snuggle up with on a cold day/night.

Yes, these two tales from Nora Roberts are older ones (both 1986) which it does actually say inside the book but saying that I enjoyed them both. I think that they still have the edge over some of the more modern takes, nicer endings and just easy reads.

The first tale does make you wonder why Hester is so easy going about a stranger (a neighbour looking after her son) but times when this was set were slightly different. This is romantic fiction though where things that happen it in are not real to life. Like just where would you get the most attractive caring male that would be wiling to child sit at a minutes notice as I said a nice escape from reality which is good at times.

The second tale one which I enjoyed but not as much as the first, not quite sure why but think I was probably spoilt with the first one. Saying that still glad I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic stories with a sparkle, 30 Sep 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I was very excited to read Catching Snowflakes - the cover is gorgeous and I'd heard so many great thing about Nora Roberts as an author. I was particularly DELIGHTED to find that Catching Snowflakes contained TWO novels - Local Hero and A Will And A Way! I was so excited that I got two stories in one! I'd recommend Catching Snowflakes on the fact that there's two stories alone - it's SUCH good value and they are beautiful and magical stories too!

In Local Hero, Mitch is a man who writes comics for a living and his only company is his faithful and loving dog Taz. When single mother Hester moves in upstairs with her son Radley, he finds himself drawn to her. Mitch writes about heroes in his comics, but is there a possibility that he could be Hester's Hero?

I LOVED Local Hero! I started it on a morning and I was soon swept up in the world of Mitch and Hester - I was so absorbed in what I was reading that I found it impossible to put down. Every single scene left me with a huge smile on my face, and this novel is such a joy to read!

The characters were fantastically written - Mitch won me over immediately. I liked his personality, his humour, and most of all I liked his determination to win over the woman he was in love with! The romantic in me was thrilled that a character such as Mitch existed, he was funny, kind and such a gentleman! I liked Mitch's relationship with Radley too, I liked how they bonded over comics and I did look forward to their scenes together.

This novel is such a simple yet very beautiful romance, it touched me and warmed my heart. I also love that it was written quite a while ago, so there are scenes such as the excitement of owning a VCR - it made me feel very nostalgic and that enhanced my enjoyment of the story.

Local Hero is a story with a sparkle! Set in New York City, Nora Roberts really brings the setting to life and puts such magic and feeling into what she is writing.

In A Will And A Way, Pandora is going to be sharing her uncle's home with Michael for six months, and even though they've known each other since childhood, they've never got along! But when they spend time together, will they realise that they have more in common than they firs thought?

A Will And A Way was very easy to get into, and I spent an afternoon quite happily reading and involved in the story. I liked that as well as a romance, there was mystery involved and so it was an intriguing read too!

Both stories were compelling in their own ways and Nora Roberts has created two wonderful novels which I'm already looking forward to re-reading!

Catching Snowflakes should be on everyone's shopping list this Autumn and Winter - it is easy to read, romantic and will being a touch of magic and excitement into your life! Grab a cup of tea or hot chocolate, and curl up with these special stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars lovers of good books, stop here, Nora Roberts has landed!, 13 May 2014
I chose this rating because I know the author provides an escape from the world with her writing and I would recommend her to all lovers of good literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read fron Nora Roberts, 24 April 2014
Kept me entertained right from the first page. I enjoy the shorter stores almost as much as the long ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 16 April 2014
After the hiccup of receiving a children's book- I was pleased to receive a replacement and the returned the wrongly delivered book. Emailing the problem it was sorted out very quickly and easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars New author to me, 5 April 2014
this was my first introduction to this author's work and it has led me to exploring her whole range of creations. I need to get more bookshelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good read, 17 Mar 2014
l enjoyed this book very much and have passed i've passed it on to a friend, she enjoyed it as well.

Catching Snowflakes: Local Hero / A Will And A Way
Catching Snowflakes: Local Hero / A Will And A Way by Nora Roberts (Paperback - 4 Oct 2013)
5.59