5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story of family, romance and Christmas
I hadn't read any novels by Fiona harper before so I was really looking forward to seeing what Fiona had in store for me with Make My Wish Come True.

Published 13 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy read
Nice easy enjoyable book, would definitely read one of her books again. Good for the beach didn't need too much concentration
Published 10 months ago by Jackie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story of family, romance and Christmas, 1 Nov 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Make My Wish Come True (Paperback)

Juliet is a single mother to her children and wants a Christmas that is a joyful family celebration. Her sister Gemma however, is free and single and has dreams of a Christmas is the beautiful Caribbean sun. But soon there are new plans involving a Christmas swap - Gemma will spend a snowy Christmas with her nieces and nephews and Juliet will be going on a tropical holiday, living Gemma's adventures and life.

I really enjoyed this. I loved the idea of the Christmas swap, and I looked forward to reading about how each sister would cope when living the life of the other sister at Christmas. And it was fascinating to read as they both threw themselves into their new roles, Gemma having to look after the children and Juliet spending time in the sunshine.

The characters were really well-written, the children were personal favourites of mine, and I loved that they played a valuable part in Gemma's Christmas. I really enjoyed Gemma and Juliet's personal journeys and reading about their development as they gained a deeper understanding of what life was like for each other. At times it really touched my heart and I don't want to spoil it so I won't say anymore but it is a beautifully written story.

Make My Wish Come True is a novel of family, romance and Christmas spirit all rolled into one, making this a wonderful story to curl up with and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 1 Nov 2013
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I really enjoyed this story about two sisters, Gemma and Juliet, who "swap" Christmases. Juliet goes on an all inclusive two week villa holiday in St Lucia whilst Gemma looks after Juliet's four children and gives them, and other members of their family, the "perfect Christmas" that Juliet always strives to produce.

The sisters are total opposites, Gemma is a career girl working in the film industry whilst Juliet is a stay at home single mum and during the book they each learn about some home truths about themselves and each other. Both characters are extremely likeable but I suspect most readers, depending on their circumstances, will identify more with one sister than the other. As a mum myself. I really rooted for Juliet.

The story moves at a good pace and there is always something going on. I loved the descriptions of St Lucia, the author makes it sound like paradise on earth and now I would dearly love to go there. There are a few twists and turns in the storyline and it is not as predictable as you might think as the author has a couple of surprises in store for the reader.

To sum up, this is a really enjoyable read, at times moving and thought provoking and then making me giggle on the next page and one which has put me right in the mood for Christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy read, 9 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner by Fiona Harper!, 5 Jan 2014
A poignant, thought-provoking and highly compelling tale which I couldn't bear to put down, Fiona Harper's mainstream debut novel, Make My Wish Come True, is simply outstanding!

Juliet and Gemma might be sisters, but they are as different as chalk and cheese. Juliet has always been the sensible, responsible and uptight sibling, whereas Gemma is the laid-back free spirit who lives out of a suitcase. With the festive season fast approaching, Juliet's organisational skills are out in force, as she has been planning Christmas day with military precision for months. With gifts to buy, Christmas lunch to prepare and her kids' packed social schedule to juggle, every single minute of the big day is accounted for. Gemma, on the other hand, is trying to muster up the courage to tell her big sister that she will be spending the holiday season sunning herself in an exclusive resort in St. Lucia...

When she hears of her younger sister's plan to spend Christmas on a sandy beach in the Caribbean, Juliet is absolutely livid. All her carefully and meticulously laid plans have been thrown into disarray by her selfish sister yet again. Nobody seems to appreciate the sacrifices and compromises which she makes to ensure that everyone has the perfect Christmas, so when a sisterly squabble compels Gemma to tell her sister to go to St. Lucia in her place, a stressed- out Juliet decides to take her up on her offer. With Gemma promising to look after her kids, Juliet packs her bags and leaves Tunbridge Wells behind for the warm Caribbean sun. For the first time in ages, Juliet can look forward to a relaxing Christmas where the only thing she's got to worry about is topping up her suntan lotion. Things soon begin to look up for the single mum when she meets good-looking Italian travel writer Marco. After her husband had left her, Juliet's self-confidence had taken quite a battering. Will sensible Juliet shake off the shackles of responsibility and indulge in a no-strings affair with a gorgeous Italian hunk under the sizzling Caribbean sun?

Assistant director Gemma spends her entire working life looking after highly strung actors and dealing with the many temper tantrums thrown by diva directors, so organizing Christmas for her four nieces and nephews should be a walk in the park. However, the more time Gemma spends walking in her sister's shoes, the more she realizes how little she appreciates all that Juliet does for their family. Determined not to let her sister down, Gemma sets out to give her nephews and nieces a Christmas they will never forget. Luckily for her, Juliet's gorgeous neighbor Will is always available to give her a helping hand...

Juliet and Gemma have spent their entire life at loggerheads, but will this Christmas be the time where they will re-evaluate their relationship and let bygones be bygones? Or will they continue to let past resentments and old wounds come between them?

Make My Wish Come True is an enjoyable, moving and witty tale about families, the ties that bind, unexpected blessings and the magic of Christmas that will tug at your heartstrings, make you smile and make you ponder your relationship with the people who matter to you most! Fiona Harper has penned a believable and realistic novel about the everyday struggle for perfection, the constant pressures of suburban life and the fear of failing that will strike a chord with women everywhere.
Juliet and Gemma were richly drawn and exquisitely rendered characters that were easy to relate to. In Make My Wish Come True, Fiona Harper takes these two very different characters on a journey of healing and self-discovery that is emotional, heartrending, funny and credible.

Fiona Harper has outdone herself with Make My Wish Come True, a first-class read that's got winner written all over it!

This review was originally published on Single Titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 2 Oct 2014
This review is from: Make My Wish Come True (Paperback)
Fiona Harper is such a brilliant author, she writes with such enthusiasm that I can never get enough of her books. This book is about two sisters who decided to swap holidays for Christmas, I know it isn't Christmas just yet but decided to read it anyway and I am glad I did. The story is an enjoyable one that focuses on families, Fiona has a way of writing where you think about the people who are close to you and what matters the most.The cover of this book drew me towards it as it is really pretty.A heart warming story that you will love even if it isn't Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., 8 Dec 2014
I just finished this book and feel so uplifted and happy. That was just what I wanted and needed. I loved the characters, especially Gemma and could relate to some of her perfectionist sisters traits.

A good length, chapters felt well structured and the plots and subplots flowed really well.

I loved it. If you want a well composed, light, uplifting read then I recommend this highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect holiday read., 24 April 2014
Sisters Juliet and Gemma are believable, well written, modern women whose difficult relationship is full of unspoken angst and lifelong misunderstanding. When a confrontation leads to one sister offering to 'do' Christmas for the other (who finds herself trading places on an unexpected and unplanned Caribbean holiday) it looks like disaster is not far away. However, Fiona Harper manages to avoid most of the cliches and predictable crises that her characters might have been expected to fall into. There are a few little details that didn't ring true, like the school run still taking place only a few days before Xmas and empty supermarket shelves on Xmas eve (not in 2013!) However, I totally identified with Juliet's need to micromanage every situation in her life to make it perfect and her expectation that everyone else in her life should try to do the same. Gemma's character was also familiar to me, along with her ability to duck out of family gatherings, Christmas and any obligations that might look like hard work. The two slow-burning romances that also form the basis of the novel were skillfully handled so they didn't become too cliched and predictable. I kept thinking this novel would make a great film as I was reading it - there are parallels with 'The Holiday', although Fiona Harper cleverly references the film in her story. The book by no means guarantees a happy ending but in the end the resolution is both satisfying and believable. This book would be a perfect holiday read but as it was it helped make my daily commute much more pleasurable. I will definitely be reading more of Ms Harper's books in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make My Dream Come True by Fiona Harper, 28 Mar 2014
I had forgotten this book even though I have read it and had to look up the blurb to remember it. It was a nice easy read, bought as a pre - sleeping aid and I can recommend it as a nice easy story with the usual outcomes. Good value as a Kindle edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Choice, 3 Mar 2014
A nice christmas story that takes you directly to Juliet`s busy and manic festivity fuelled home and at the same time, whisks your imagination away to Sun soaked St. Lucia for Christmas. Which Christmas will capture your heart?

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at the beach, 26 Jan 2014
Lovely story really enjoyed it put me in a better Christmas mood and made me realize next year I want to be layed on a beach somewhere instead of freezing to death.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Make My Wish Come True
Make My Wish Come True by Fiona Harper (Paperback - 1 Nov 2013)