5.0 out of 5 stars Glittering read
Given a copy by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Published 11 months ago by Alisha Bookseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Frothy fluff
This is exactly the fun and frothy read that is promised by the cover. Set in Cornwall rather than LA/Hollywood, this revolves around a pair of feuding brothers and a family inheritance. The cartoon villains are rude and crude, set off by a sweet heroine and a brooding hero.

Published 11 months ago by Roman Clodia

5.0 out of 5 stars Glittering read, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Glittering Fortunes (Paperback)
Given a copy by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

After running out of money and failing to get a life started in London, Olivia moves back to her home town in Cornwall. Her obsession with her childhood crush Addy still going strong, she's surprised when she feels an inexplicable pull to Charlie Lomax, after he hires her to be the gardener at the dilapidated Lomax mansion. Considering his rude attitude to her, she's surprised at her feelings.

Charlie Lomax has nothing left after his parents plane disappears in the Bermuda Triangle, and his older brother (who's never been close to him) disappears straight after their parents to create a life in LA. Charlie's crush on Olivia comes back full force when she comes to him for a job, but his brothers return signals the end of Charlie's life at the manor.

Cato Lomax and his girlfriend Susanna come back from LA to stay at Usherwood, the family home. But their visit isn't a quick trip home to show off like Charlie believes. Cato, continuing to be spiteful, has come to take back the manor and his rightful inheritance as older brother and Lord. But when their estranged Uncle writes the brothers a letter, there's a shocking revelation that's going to change everything. Will Cato succeed in taking Usherwood? Will Olivia get over Addy? and will Olivia and Charlie admit their feelings for each other?

I was expecting a cute little rom-com type book but I was pleasantly shocked. The book does have it's funny moments, quite a few provided by Susanna and her ghost theory, as well as Olivia. But it also has some dark parts that come to the surface as well as some mystery. The book is told from each of the main characters perspectives which gives different angles on the story and different thoughts.

The book is extremely well written, and has more depth than your average romance. At first glance the characters are all shallow and fairly one dimensional, but as the book goes on, Victoria expands on each characters background to an amazing degree of depth, revealing a wealth of information about each character, and entirely new dimensions to the characters. With Susanna's child, Cato's murdering ways, the dog incident and the ways of Addy, the characters aren't what they seem at first, and I was pleasantly surprised at the depths of the characters.

The book is fast paced, layering darkness, mystery and romance to create an exciting blend and a story you just can't put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Glittering Read!, 5 Sep 2013
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Glittering Fortunes (Paperback)
Victoria Fox burst onto the Chick Lit scene a couple of years ago with her fabulous novel Hollywood Sinners and since then she's become a massive hit with beachgoers, with her glitzy door-stop books. It was announced earlier this year that as well as writing her glitzy beach books, she'd also be writing for Mills and Boon. When I asked her what that meant, she said the books were pretty much like her beach books but were set mostly in England. I was really looking forward to reading her first ever Mills and Boon Glittering Fortunes, and I actually think it's better than her beach books.

Let me explain - I really, really like Victoria Fox novels. Hollywood Sinners was an amazing read, but I wasn't so taken with Temptation Island. I have her third novel on my Kindle to read and I am now looking forward to it having loved Glittering Fortunes. It does seem that perhaps her beach reads are perhaps a bit too over the top - with the glamour, the secrets, the characters, the villains etc, but who knows? I could actually love Wicked Ambition and it may have just been that Temptation Island wasn't for me. We'll see. What I do know is Glittering Fortunes was an amazing novel. It did indeed have the Hollywood glamour we come to expect from a Victoria Fox novel, but it was a bit more pared down than, say, Hollywood Sinners.

I really loved the tale of Glittering Fortunes, I loved seeing the rivalry between the Lomax brothers, Charlie and Cato. I loved reading about their ancestral home, Usherwood. I loved Olivia most of all, I always feel these types of novels need a level-headed heroine to root for, and Olivia was that, along with Charlie actually because it was his brother that was the arrogant, awful man. I actually despised Cato. I wanted to maim him, in fact. I absolutely guessed the big secret, but that wasn't the worst thing in the world. I enjoyed the back-and-forth between Cato and Charlie, and I loved rooting for Charlie and feeling evil feelings for Cato. When I first started reading the novel, it felt as though it would be a battle of good vs evil; Charlie and Olivia vs Cato and his Hollywood girlfriend Susanna, but I actually liked Cato's girlfriend. She wasn't as awful as I expected her to be, and she had some redeeming qualities, though she hides them quite well.

I really enjoyed Glittering Fortunes, I liked the tale of the Usherwood estate, and I really liked Olivia, she was a fabulous main character and I loved Charlie, too. I'd definitely recommend Glittering Fortunes. No, it's not as big or blockbustery as Fox's beach books, but I personally think it's so much better. I am SO glad I decided to read the novel; it's so easy to judge a Mills and Boon books by its publisher as soppy love stories, but this was a fabulous story. I look forward to her second Mills and Boon novel and I hope Victoria manages to keep up writing two books a year, to provide one massive OTT book and one with a fabulously wonderful story, set in the heart of England. It just goes to show, a book doesn't have to be set on a tropical island to be brilliant, because I wanted to go and live in Lustell Cove. Do pick up Glittering Fortunes, it was an amazing read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling and Spirited, 8 Oct 2013
Fabulous fun. I loved this book. It is alight with life and beautifully written. As with all Victoria Fox's brilliant books, the characters are vivid and complex, and though the romance is strong and drives the plot forward, there is always a thoughtful and more disturbing undercurrent that makes Ms Fox's stories stand out from others in this genre. Olivia is a wonderful and endearing heroine, and the rivalry between the Lomax brothers leaps off the page, so that I was utterly gripped by their macho gorgeousness. The story moves at a cracking pace - it swept me along and kept me reading far into the night. A fabulous and colourful must-read. Don't miss this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Frothy fluff, 4 Sep 2013
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Glittering Fortunes (Paperback)

I enjoy a bit of fluff now and then and this certainly fits that bill. Perfect mindless switch-off reading, this is custom-made for a sun-lounger and cocktails, or a long bubble bath.

(This review is from an ARC courtesy of the publisher)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun chick lit but not as saucy as I would have wanted, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Glittering Fortunes (Paperback)
Bought this book in the airport on my way to a poolside holiday. I wont bother with the description of the story. I found the book to be fun and just gripping enough to keep me reading. I have to admit I did like how the author kept the suspense until the very end.
I liked the story line, however I was hoping for something a bit more steamy. I have not read any of her previous books but I though the sex scenes did not particularly add much and most of them were not necessary or sexy in any way. The only encounter I would have liked to have been described did not occur which was a bit anti-climactic upon finishing the book (Oh yes that pun was intended!).
I did enjoy reading it and for some light holiday reading it fits the bill! I will be getting Victoria Fox's other books as they look like they could be fun reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars a delicious read, 10 July 2014
An interesting location by the sea and a lovely story, told well. Although improbable, it was believable and a happy ending, although not for all the characters, is always a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars another great read, 5 July 2014
I always save Victoria Fox's novels for my beach read and this one did not disappoint! Comes very highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars hi to all readers, 1 July 2014
I have just finished this book what a lot of twists and turns that make great reading ,yes a great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday read., 30 Jun 2014
This is a great book to relax too and a typical romantic novel. I found the characters very likeable and although perhaps predictable in places, it was definitely a good book to read on my holidays.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glittering fortunes, 29 Jun 2014
On par with mills and boon. Luke warm and predictable. Not one of her best. Victorias' other books are a better read.

Glittering Fortunes
Glittering Fortunes by Victoria Fox (Paperback - 6 Sep 2013)
5.59