5.0 out of 5 stars Another Jacobsville man settled!
I found the story a bit far fetched, but it is fiction with several of the "Jacobsville mercs." being mentioned; if you have enjoyed other stories in the same series then you should enjoy this one.
Published 10 months ago by Mrs. S. M. Walden

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, irritating and completely ridiculous.
It is rare that I don't finish a book, even if I hate a it I normally read to the end, anything else feels like cheating but I got to the half-way point of Courageous and had to stop. I just couldn't carry on.

Published on 13 July 2012 by Kate Phillips

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, irritating and completely ridiculous., 13 July 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Courageous (Hardcover)

I think the big problem I had with this is that I just found it really, really boring. I could not get myself interested in it at all. The romance was bizarre and the rest seemed to be taken up with military talk that just did not interest me.

I also had an issue with the characters; I found them to be ridiculous. Peg was extremely naive and I struggled to believe that she was nineteen. Instead she seemed to read like a fourteen year old. Winslow was no better. He is a rancher and mercenary who wants to expand his range whilst freeing a small South American country from dictatorship and looking to get into government once he is finished. It was just so far fetched.

The romance was just odd. He went from zero feelings to everything in a few pages. He bangs on about morals and whilst trying to get her out of her dress. She talks about marriage all the time whilst pretending to be a hussy to attract Wilslow's attraction because maybe that will make him want to marry her. There was not sense of emotion, there was no growth and I couldn't get behind it.

This book was just not for me and I hate to quit but I just couldn't do it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst DP book ever! Diana Palmer, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Courageous (Hardcover)
Love DP...have read practically all her books by now, but like some more than others, especially her earlier novels where the love story was paramount. However this one was really really bad!
Not keen on her obsession with drug barons and mercenaries at the best of times which unfortunately are now practiaclly a requirement in all her books and which tend to completely overshadow the romance element, but in this particular novel the convoluted and really tedious plot absolutely dominated.
The hero and heroine fall in love inexplicably in just three chapters and were separated for practically all of the rest of the book while he went abroad to deal with some foreign rebels connected with the usual drug baron scenario.

This story bored me to death...have heard it all before in her other books and the romance didn't just take a back seat it was almost not there at all!!
Hero didn't appeal...35 year old virgin who preached celebacy before marriage throughout the book much to my irritation, but none the less he still stripped his virgin love interest down to the waist on their very first date before they even left the house and indulged in some very heavy petting! A bit hypocritical I thought and bearing in mind that the heroine was only 19 yrs old a bit pervy!
Said female love interest we are told is totally inexperienced, plain (as usual!) uneducated and lacking in social graces but none the less somehow this mature man falls passionately in love with her in the blink of an eye.
Continually boasting about his virgin ststus and the fact that he is different from the rest of the world and still has morals and values (the preaching becomes very annoying after a while) he leaves the heroine and takes off to involve himself for practically the rest of the book in said aformentioned rebel/drug/ Ku Detat plot and the book deteroiorates rapidly from there to degenerate into pure farce by the end (Had to skip loads of this interminable plot in the middle,simply couldn't hack it!)
I'm used to and accept the fact that all Diana's heroines have to be virgins...she is Diana Palmer after all and that is part of her format... but even thirty years ago her heros were allowed to be experienced. A lot of them she referred to as "rounders" but as the years have gone by she has become more and more moralistic about sex before marriage, to the point where now... in 2012... her practically middle aged hero also has to be a virgin and this simply defies belief and would make most of us wonder what is wrong with him????

This book was a composite of several of her previous efforts, written by formula and totally lacking in romance, believablility or interest. If it was my first DP book I'd never buy another one. As it is I'll be reading the plot of all her future efforts before buying from now on and will avoid all those containg these stupid drug baron plots etc. as they bore me rigid.
I buy Diana's books for the romance as she is undoubtably the master...nobody does it better when she's on form... but I really wish she didn't hanker to be a suspence or intrigue writer, because that isn't her forte but is now unfortunately all she seems to want to write. Please bring back the romance Diana and leave the foreign rebels and drug barons to take care of themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Down in the Jungle, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Courageous (MP3 CD)
DP is an auto buy for me but this one is not one of her best. Grange gets a wife but most of the time neither of the supposedly main characters feature in the story. I was left with the feeling that this was a set up book for others down the line as it seemed to feature 3 separate "couples". Most of the action takes place in the jungle so not much about others in Jacobville etc. Dont get me wrong its nice to see how Grange gets married but you have to read it start to finish in one go to be able to follow the story as it jumps about so much at times. One good thing about it is that you get to learn more about the mysterious Rouke including his first name. Make up your own mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars its diana palmer, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Courageous (Paperback)
its much the same from diana palmer that you still want to keep reading about these people keep it up

4.0 out of 5 stars Diana Palmer, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Courageous (Paperback)
Another Diana Palmer - another western. The two together make for very interesting reading. Another great book from a great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Jacobsville man settled!, 30 Aug 2013
Mrs. S. M. Walden (King's Lynn UK) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars dreadful, 25 Aug 2013
Bought paperback full price in shops. 6.99. Total waste of money. Blurb seemed good but couldnt get into this book. Have had on go for last 3 months or more! Made myself finish it but jumped loads. Looked at amazon reviews today which confirm my thoughts. Also unbelievable events. Jailer brings prisoners a baseball bat to hit him with as he lets them escape. All done so jailer wont get blamed. Yet baseball bat left in cell to show weapon used yet prisoners didnt have anything before so why would it be believed they had a baseball bat!
This is worst DP book ever read and will think carefully before buying another. It was impulse buy but will check amazon reviews before future purchases in shops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, 26 July 2013
Mrs. Jean R. Livingstone "Jean Livingstone" (Edinburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
Another Diana Palmer, I always enjoy her books, they have a good storyline and she walways gives us a happy ending

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't even bother, 18 May 2013
I love Diana Palmer books and usually wait eagerly for new ones, but this was tragically bad. Very unconvincing characters in a weak and very tedious plot. Don't even bother, it's not worth wasting your time.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disapointed fan, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Courageous (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Diana Palmer for a long time. was looking forward to Courageous, oh what a disappointment. Especially after Dangerous and Merciless. I shall read it again, because I cannot leave it on my bookshelves, without giving it another read.

Courageous
Courageous by Diana Palmer (Paperback - 15 Mar 2013)
Used & New from: 0.01