5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted
I was really uncertain about how many stars to give this book. Why? Because this isn't your ordinary run of the mill erotic/romance/contemporary book.

Published 20 months ago by An avid reader.

3.0 out of 5 stars dark and dangerously sexy
Published 20 months ago by Wee Shubba

3.0 out of 5 stars dark and dangerously sexy, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Siren (Mills & Boon Spice) (Paperback)
I have had this on my kindle for quite a while and honestly I completely forgot about until I received book 3 for review. I know shocking that I could forgot a book. Bad Book Blogger!! I had read so many good reviews that I thought I would love it. And even though I actually really enjoyed the book. The story is dark and dangerously sexy I found the main characters lacking. Honestly I wanted to beat them up they annoyed me so much.

The Siren is book 1 in the Original Sinners series and is told from Nora and Zach's POV. Nora is an erotic writer by day but she has a secret she is a Dominatrix and not just any, she is THE Dominatrix. Powerful and terrifying. But Nora has a past. She is a Switch, which means she can be both a Dom or Sub. Nora's past is quite dark. And it is an interesting past and I really enjoyed finding out about her and her relationship with Soren. But she comes across so immature for her age. Nora is in her 30s but she comes across like a teenager at times. She is selfish and I wanted to beat her up she was so annoying. But she would have liked that lol. She lives with an unpaid intern called Wesley, he is 19 years old and in love with Nora although they have never slept together. Wesley was the the only character I actually liked. And even though Nora is pain I honestly felt that she was in love with him aswell. Zach, is Nora's editor. He just bored me so much. I kinda thought he was a pointless character. I get that he pushed Nora to write her book better but man was he boring as hell.

I mention Soren above. Now he isn't actually in the book alot but he plays a HUGE part in Nora's story. I didn't like him at all. But there is no denying that you are drawn to him and want to know more about him and the twist in the story with him and who is really is I guess is meant to shock but I thought it was amazing.I really shouldn't have since I am Catholic but I'm not a very good and thought Soren was interesting.

Now Tiffany Reisz is an amazing story teller. There is no doubt about that. I was drawn into this dark world and I am not going to lie I was hooked. I devoured the book. I just didn't like the characters apart from Wesley so I couldn't get the full connection to really love it. The Siren is NOT a romance story. So if you go into this thinking it is you are going to be really disappointed. Tiffany Reisz has create something that is sexy, dark but quite violent. And that I can understand why why people can find is shocking. It takes a lot to shock me. I understand why people find it too graphic. But I understand that this is fiction and yes this world really does exsist out there. Although as long as everything is consensual I say each to their own. I applaud Tiffany to tackling the more darker side to BDSM and writing is wonderfully.

Do I recommend this? Yes, I really do. Even though I personally found Nora as a shallow, immature woman I still really enjoyed the story and learning about Nora and her life. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I am hopefully I like the characters more in the sequel

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 8 Nov 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I ended up on five stars because it was/is simply 'amazing' but I didn't arrive at 'amazing' taking the usual travelled path, oh no. It is amazing simply because of the depth and the darkness of the content and the reverent attitude towards the story and how it was brought to life.

There are absolutely no fluffy bunnies/sweet romance or hedonistic idioms promising the usual happy ending. This book is extremely dark, it's extremely potent and it's extremely well written.

So why was this book amazing? It is actually so intellectually written and a complete role reversal of the usual promiscuous man versus the shy and becoming woman. This book leaves you actually squirming at some of the dark content within and it goes against all in your head that you feel you are comfortable reading, there are many, many words that are simply not comfortable at all being swallowed into your head. So why did I read on? Quite simply I got captured by it and it just would not release me of it's hold until I had read the last page much like Zach and the signing of the contract.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to say it but this was utter trash, 30 Nov 2012
Firstly, I just want to say that I haven't been swept up in the whole "Fifty Shades" hype, I have zero interest in reading that series.
However, as this was on offer I thought I'd give it a go. And honestly, what a load of rubbish. I'm not a prude in any way, I couldn't care less what people are interested in in the bedroom (or in this case, seedy underground club) and the sexual content or subject matter didn't offend me or bother me in the slightest.

No, my problem with this book is that I didn't care about a single one of the characters, none of them had any redeeming qualities that made me care about any of them or want to hear more from them. The writing was unimaginative and the story weak. I kept thinking that it was going to get better, and forced myself to read the book in its entirity. I wish I had given up now because that is time I'm never going to get back!

I really don't like giving poor reviews, I don't like being so mean! But really I wouldn't wish this upon anyone, and I will definitely not be purchasing any more in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Sinners book 1, 10 July 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Other reviewers have already said it but I feel I have to say it again - if you are looking for a traditional romance story then this is probably not the book for you. The Siren doesn't have a happy ever after - in fact I don't think it would have been possible to give these characters a HEA at this point in their lives - but as it is the first book in a trilogy I'm hopeful that we may have a happier ending by the time the series finishes. What I will say is that if you're looking for unique, flawed characters who will worm their way into your heart precisely because they are so broken then you need to read this book.

I'm going to tell you right now that The Siren isn't an easy read, parts of the book made me feel incredibly uncomfortable and it definitely touched on things that shocked me but in spite of that I never once considered not finishing it. From practically the first page I was completely captivated by these characters. I may not have understood some of the choices they made and I didn't always agree with their lifestyle choices but Tiffany Reisz managed to make me connect with them anyway. What was most interesting was seeing inside their heads and discovering how they felt and why they had developed their particular quirks.

Nora is our main character and the story is about her relationships with 3 very different men - Soren, Zach and Wesley. Nora is a writer who is famous for her erotica books, she has a huge fan base but what she really wants is to be accepted by a mainstream publisher and become respected as a serious writer in spite of the erotic content of her story. Writing is her passion but her main income comes from her job as a Dominatrix, in the BDSM circles she moves in she is a queen and people pay extraordinary amounts of money just to have her tie them up and spank them. Nora is such a fascinating character who is full of contradictions which is shown partly in her ability to switch between the roles of Dominant and submissive. She is highly intelligent, witty, good at verbal banter, very aware of her own sexuality and willing to take what she wants. She doesn't feel the need to hide her desires and she isn't afraid of what others think of her. Despite all of that she is also someone who is broken and at times she seemed so lost that my heart went out to her.

Now lets have a look at the men in her life. First I'm going to talk about Zach. He is an editor at the respected publishing house who have decided they want to purchase Nora's next novel. He is quite a snob and believes that Nora is beneath him because she writes erotica. Zach is English but has been living in New York since his wife Grace left him, they may have been separated for a year but it is obvious he is still hung up on her and it takes a while before you find out the reason for their split. Although he hates the idea of working for Nora his boss is pretty insistent and after meeting her for the first time he finds himself intrigued by her. She isn't anything like he expected her to be and he finds himself drawn to her like no other woman since Grace. A brutal editor he is well known for upsetting the authors he works with but Nora is willing to take any amount of criticism that he can throw at her if it means her book will be better by the end of the process. I have to say that out of all of Nora's relationships this was the one I liked least (which is saying something considering how I feel about Soren!). For some reason I found it really difficult to like Zach, I just found him a bit too willing to sit back and let things happen to him. I wanted to see more fight in him to go out and get what he wanted from life and I felt that he was using Nora because she was convenient rather than because he had any real feelings for her. That didn't really seem to worry Nora though so I'm not sure why it irritated me so much.

The next man (well I say man but I almost want to call him a boy) I'm going to mention is Wesley. He was the character I loved the most, he is such a sweet and innocent young man and he cares so deeply for Nora. I desperately wanted him to be with Nora but equally didn't see how such an innocent young virgin would ever be enough for someone as used to the D/s lifestyle as she was. Wesley is her rock and she does love him but I never felt that she was in love with him like a partner would be. They were good friends and she doesn't feel she could live without him but she equally didn't want to taint what they had with the darker side of her life. Wesley hated her job as a Dominatrix and desperately wanted her to give up that lifestyle and settle down. Watching the two of them was both adorably sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. You are left feeling that they could be so good together if only he wasn't so innocent or she wasn't so experienced. It felt like the ultimate case of bad timing.

Now the final man in Nora's life is Soren, he is the love of her life and she was in a D/s relationship with him from when she was just 15 years old. For the majority of the book their relationship both horrified and terrified me - Soren is quite a bit older than her and when you discover more about who he is you'll understand why I felt like he had possibly abused a position of trust. I have read stories with fairly light BDSM in before but between Nora and Soren things are hardcore and reading made me cringe at times. I still don't know quite what to make of Soren, I don't trust him and I don't like him but as I got to know him I did start to feel like he had genuine feelings for Nora. The love between them may not be something that I could understand but that doesn't make it any less. Although Nora loves Soren she still left him and they have been apart for a year now, I can't really go into details of their separation without giving spoilers so I'll just say that it was sad to see how deeply they both cared and not wish for them to find a way to be together.

I've said it already but it's worth saying again - The Siren isn't a traditional romance but that doesn't make it any less a love story. There are so many different kinds of love between these characters but it is a messy kind of love, the kind that doesn't have an easy happy ending but the kind that sticks with you long after you finish reading about it. If you're going to read this book then you need to go into it with no expectations, be prepared to be taken way out of your comfort zone, be prepared for things that will probably shock and horrify you but also be prepared to be captivated. Tiffany Reisz will take you on a ride unlike any you've ever been on and you will enjoy every second of the emotional roller coaster!

2.0 out of 5 stars i normally read anything but gave up on this one over half way through, long winded not very exciting, 8 Dec 2012
I found this really hard to get into, normally im captured in the first couple of chapters but not this one. Cant compare to fifty shades im afraid

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible, 8 Dec 2012
I read this book because of the buzz around it and the plethora of positive reviews. I had read one of the author's previous short stories so I knew not to expect a typical romance.
I won't rehash the plot, as many reviews have done just that. In short this is a story of depravity, mental illness, and abuse. The author does her best to normalise BDSM, but fails miserably. Each character is more mentally unstable than the last, these are not emotionally healthy adults taking part in consensual sex. I was particularly disturbed by the sex scene between a suicidal, self harming child and a 34 year old woman. I hope for the author's sake, she does not believe the story she has written depicts healthy relationships.
I am very disappointed that the publisher has decided to market this as part of the romance genre. There is nothing romantic or even erotic about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Falls far short, 7 Dec 2012
I wanted to like this book, but by halfway through I was starting to realize that it just wasn't going to get any better. And then, of course, it got worse, instead.

The BDSM in this book is written as if by someone who has done a lot of reading and research on the subject, and maybe even talked to people in the lifestyle, but has not actually lived it. The outward trappings are generally accurate enough, but the tiny details that make all the difference... those are flat, or jumbled, or just plain wrong. As a kinky person who has visited private clubs like the one described, I can say that they're not much like the one described - not really.

The characters were flat and annoying, the main character, Nora, had a stunning lack of self-control for someone who is supposedly both a writer and a domme, and the relationships were intentionally twisted and perverted as much as possible to make them seem more anguished and emotional. Instead, they just felt ridiculous.

And I'm frustrated. Because I really wanted to like this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Basically rubbish!!, 26 Oct 2013
All I can say about this book is that by getting to chapter four I hadn't found a story of any sort and was totally bored!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Snoozeworthy, 21 Aug 2013
I picked this up knowing nothing about it when it was very reduced to a bargain price. I could not get beyond a few chapters. It was so incredibly dull. Presumably things pick up later but I'm not one to wade through the boring stuff to get there.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 14 Feb 2013
It was alright but not the best I've had better the character's were bit over the top for my liking.

The Siren (Mills & Boon Spice)
The Siren (Mills & Boon Spice) by Tiffany Reisz (Paperback - 10 Aug 2012)
5.24