4.0 out of 5 stars Love Amidst Scotland's Jacobite Rebellion
Nora Roberts has created a wonderfully romantic love story set against the backdrop of Scotland's doomed Jacobite rebellion.
Published on 28 Feb 2005 by Jana L. Perskie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the rest of the MacGregors.
Published on 23 Aug 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Amidst Scotland's Jacobite Rebellion, 28 Feb 2005
Coll MacGregor, eldest son of the MacGregor clan laird, returns from Paris with his closest friend Brigham Langston, earl Ashburn, an English nobleman. Coll and Brigham are Jacobites, as is the MacGregor family, who are willing to risk all to put their Stuart King back on the throne of Scotland and England. The two men travel together to Scotland to meet and gather the clans in preparation for the arrival of Prince Charles Edward Stuart, Bonnie Prince Charlie, and war.
When they reach the MacGregor home in the Highlands, Brigham is prepared to meet Coll's family, but he is taken totally unaware by the vibrant, hot tempered Serena MacGregor, Coll's eldest sister. Sparks fly and tempers flare, as Serena makes her views known about all Englishmen, and Brig, the 'Sassenach,' in particular. As war plans are fleshed out, Brig and Serena fall in lust and then in love. The characters are terrific, and the mixture of humor and intensity, with the historical background, make for a winning combination.
The secondary characters, the MacGregor clan, its retainers, and Brigham's valet really add to the novel and make the story come to life. They each have their own tale to tell and their presence does much more than act as filler between the chapters where Serena and Brig interact.
"Rebellion" is an absorbing light read. If you are a fan of historical fiction, and/or Scottish romance, as I am, that is definitely a plus. ENJOY!!
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 Jan 2007
Deborah Barnett (liverpool uk) - See all my reviews
This was a fabulous book.I,ll admit to being a bit hesitant reading a historical book from Nora Roberts who is one of my all time favourite contemporay authors. Was I very pleasantly suprised.

The details were so precise and again the story caught me up just as every book I,ve read by her does, whether she writes of magic or tough new york cops this woman is just amazing.The description of the battle at Culloden brought tears to my eyes but Serena,s nasty temper and wit had me laughing out loud.

This was such a wonderful introduction to the Macgregors I,m going to read them all again with fresh insight to all the characters.If you,re a Nora fan you will love this book

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Satisfying Read., 9 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I read "Rebellion" when it was first published ( about oh, 8 years ago?) and loved it. It was a wonderful look at the beginnings of Clan MacGregor, and Serena and Brigham are great characters. Highly recommended, even for readers unfamiliar with Nora's Clan MacGregor series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the rest of the MacGregors., 23 Aug 1999
By A Customer
"Rebellion" was a historical romance and since historical books are my least favorite, I gave it a 3. I read it because I love the MacGregor series and felt that I shouldn't miss any. To the reviewer from So. California: If you check the front of "MacGregor Brides" it should give you a chart of the family tree along with sequence of most of the books. Hope this helps!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Predictable!, 23 Jun 1999
By A Customer
The character of Serena MacGregor never is fully developed, she spends too much time waiting for Brigham. I really enjoyed the whole Macgregor series, but this story was not as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC! ANOTHER MACGREGOR HIT!!, 9 July 1999
By A Customer
The REBELLION takes place just before the ill-fated battle of Culloden. This magnificant story revolves around Serena MacGregor, the proud daughter of the laird of the MacGregor clan, and the half scottish and english lord, Brigham Langston, the man destined to love her.
Nora Roberts definitely captured the turmoil and violence of that time era. The fear and anguish felt by the innocent victims, including Serena and her family, in the aftermath of the battle of Culloden, was palpable. The scenes described in this story intrigued me so much that I looked up the battle of Culloden on the web. I must say she did a commendable job in incorporating the battle into this story.
The love between Serena and Brigham, that grew despite their social standings, acts as a beacon of light in the mist of the chaos and destruction. The REBELLION is truly a wonderful addition (I consider it so, even though it was first published over ten years ago) to the MacGregor collection. It is a must read that you will love. Trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebellion, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Rebellion (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book as per usual with Nora Roberts books.
Enjoyed the background of it as a prelude to further books in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Macgregors Series, 8 Jan 2013
Bought for Scotland/Romance story obsessed mother. She liably informs me they are fab and she would recommend them to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberts N: Rebellion., 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Rebellion (Paperback)
Not as good as most of her books in fact rather like her early ones. her historical background details don't ring as true as the modern settings. And I DO really like her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebellion Takes You Back to the Beginning, 23 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I have reread the MacGregor series three times. I have all of the books and absolutely love to sit down and start over again. Rebellion gave me a sense of really being part of the family. The period of time and the battles fought, all come to life. Serena MaGregor was all fire and woman. I really could picture how each descendant I have read in the MacGregor series received their independent and individual personalities. Never have I become so involved in a series that I actually felt the characters were real. I only hope that Ms. Roberts will continue with the series and let us glimpse more of the MacGregor clan we have all learned to love. Thank you once again Ms. Roberts for an absolutely beautiful book.

Rebellion
Rebellion by Nora Roberts (Paperback - 6 Jan 2012)
7.99