on 6 March 2012
I have just finished "Marrying the Royal Marine", the third book of the very enjoyable trilogy by Carla Kelly, about Lord Ratliffe's 3 illegitimate daughters. For the very first time I feel compelled to write a review to say how thoroughly I enjoyed this book . Often later books in a series are disappointing. This one bucks the trend. It is the best. It is absolutely encharnting. I couldn't put it down. It is the delightful love story of Polly & Hugh. It is a ripping yarn of adventure, life theatening moments, romantic episodes and sweet & tender love. In spite of Polly's youth, inexperience and lack of confidence and Hugh, an older man, with a wealth of experience, and the confidence of a long career as a successful officer in Wellington's army, they are drawn to each other from the very first meeting. We follow their adventures together in Portigal. Through the horrors of capture by a marauding troop of French Dragoons, fear, danger, cold, starvation and lack of privacy, their unlikely love grows in the tenderest, caring of ways. Their loyalty & support for each other finally brings them to the place they long to be; in a passionate and loving marriage with an adopted son and the hope of children of their own.
I was sorry to reach the end. It made me laugh & cry. I will wait a long time to find a book as gripping and full of such caring love as this one. I know I shall read it again & again. Marrying the CaptainandThe Surgeon's Lady (Mills & Boon Historical)
on 14 March 2012
After reading the blurb and the reviews for this book, I was really looking forward to this book. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed.
There was some great historical details , and the portrayal of the men and women on both sides of the war was really well done. It was moving without just portraying stereotypes.
But the romance between Polly and Hugh was just lacking for me. It may be that this book just wasn't my cup of tea, but i never really felt any emotion towards the characters apart from indifference and a bit of boredom. In the end I was reading the book just so I could be finished and put it at the back of my bookshelf.
It's worth a read if you haven't got much else to do, but it's certainly not a book I'll be reading again, like I love to do with my favourites.
on 17 November 2013
The final of the 3 sisters who finds her love in a spectacular way and through great adversity. I loved the complete and well expressed life in the Portugal of 1812.
on 3 August 2014
Carla Kelly's Peninsula War novels are always excellent and this was no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 19 April 2015